Time for Hartigan to be dropped

Hartigan is a spud

• Agree

• Disagree

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartigan has a track record of starting poorly, but thankfully in this past record it only lasts one or two games before he gets back to normal.
Agreed

He's also a 'When he's bad he's very very bad' player

His down moments have a way of sticking in the memory bank and clouding your overall judgment.

I'm more worried about Talia than Hartigan TBH. Seemed to be battling physically last season.

Agreed

He's also a 'When he's bad he's very very bad' player

His down moments have a way of sticking in the memory bank and clouding your overall judgment.

I'm more worried about Talia than Hartigan TBH. Seemed to be battling physically last season.
Probably didn't help Talia when Doedee collected his dodgy back in friendly fire... but he stayed on.

He's our least worst option at the moment. Thought we could've recruited a key back late draft or rookie draft, or groomed Dear or even Himmelburg for his role but not to be. Hartigan does start off rusty so hopefully thats out the way now.
At least we'll look back one day to see that Jack Watts all time career highlight was a scratch match.

He's our least worst option at the moment. Thought we could've recruited a key back late draft or rookie draft, or groomed Dear or even Himmelburg for his role but not to be. Hartigan does start off rusty so hopefully thats out the way now.
At least we'll look back one day to see that Jack Watts all time career highlight was a scratch match.

It's a bit of a waste, Talia/Hartigan/Keath/Otten is more then enough KPD depth.

At the point you hit a 4th choice KPD, odds are you are pretty ****ed regardless defensively.

It's a bit of a waste, Talia/Hartigan/Keath/Otten is more then enough KPD depth.

At the point you hit a 4th choice KPD, odds are you are pretty ****** regardless defensively.
Talia in the doldrums, Hartigan scatty, Keath promising but green, Otten glacier-slow - not convinced

Talia in the doldrums, Hartigan scatty, Keath promising but green, Otten glacier-slow - not convinced

Is Talia though? he's not the first top line player to have a down season (by his lofty standards) and even then his down season is better then a lot of KPD's best. He'll respond though seeing you don't get to his position without the ability to silence doubters.

Hartigan/Keath are both fine options for the 2nd KPD position, wouldn't trust them against the top line forwards, but are competent (which is all you want here).

Otten is just a good 4th KPD, someone who can do a job for at max 1-2 games, which is ideally what you want for a 4th KPD, someone to plug the occasional hole whilst happy to sit in the SANFL.

Really, anything more then that is just unnessecary, unless you go for a super raw KPD, but even then that's not helping our position now.

We just need to all chill and wait for 2-3 games to make proper assessments. New recruits and new transitional players (eg. Doedee, CEY, Murphy etc) make structures look different, so defenders are more prone for more indecisions.

This thread makes me want to do doomsday threads for 10 other individual players. Damn, it's tempting...

Amazing the amount of overreacting going on at such an early stage. The fact this thread exists is laughable.

Rance was Richmond’s whipping boy in the early stages of his career. Very similar athletic attributes to Hartigan, almost identical complaints on disposal and his decision making. And now he’s an A-grade back.

Hartigan may never reach Rance levels, but he’s definitely worth sticking with.

Although what am I to know, my AFL knowledge is categorically based on my like to post ratio on Bigfooty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Talia though? he's not the first top line player to have a down season (by his lofty standards) and even then his down season is better then a lot of KPD's best. He'll respond though seeing you don't get to his position without the ability to silence doubters.

Hartigan/Keath are both fine options for the 2nd KPD position, wouldn't trust them against the top line forwards, but are competent (which is all you want here).

Otten is just a good 4th KPD, someone who can do a job for at max 1-2 games, which is ideally what you want for a 4th KPD, someone to plug the occasional hole whilst happy to sit in the SANFL.

Really, anything more then that is just unnessecary, unless you go for a super raw KPD, but even then that's not helping our position now.
Agree with Talia, he should come good if his body holds up but the rest are serviceable at best, although i still have hopes for Keath. Its not our strong suit but may be enough to get us through. Otten might be OK against the bottom sides but is a break glass option against the good sides. All credit to him but he won't be there next year.

Watts is probably the worst matchup I can think of for Hartigan. Tall, fast, mobile as opposed to Tall, Huge, Muscular, which is what Hartigan is in there to play on. Talia being even slower is not someone we can change onto him. Hopefully we sort that s**t out and put a more mobile defender on him if the match-ups work that way, in the real stuff.

People bang on about hartigans foot turnovers but I’m willing to bet talia is no better.
Well, Talia is better, because he doesn't try to do anything other than a simple, safe kick.

Harto tries risky stuff. Which you don't do when you can't pull it off, AND you're the bloody fullback, so you're in a dangerous position of the ground to be making mistakes.

Also Hartigan spoils the ball a lot, but often to an opposition crumber. So annoying.

Did I say we are likely to upgrade him? Fact is we haven’t recruited a young KPD good enough to replace him.
We had a run at Michael Hurley as a free agent, it didn't come off. Ain't a stack of ready made, quality KPD's going about, so unless you want to sign someone like Nathan Brown or Tyson Goldsack the other option was to keep Hartigan.

I must admit I'm not over enthusiastic about Hartigan going forward but it is what it is and I really don't see Keath as a KPD at this point in time so basically the cupboard is bare.

Remember just three and a half years ago when we were low on defensive stocks? When we drafted a defender for a bargain, one who impressed us with his composure and leadership qualities? And here we are again. It seems like yesterday when Jake Lever arrived at the club and he's already gone.

Amazing the amount of overreacting going on at such an early stage. The fact this thread exists is laughable.

Rance was Richmond’s whipping boy in the early stages of his career. Very similar athletic attributes to Hartigan, almost identical complaints on disposal and his decision making. And now he’s an A-grade back.

Hartigan may never reach Rance levels, but he’s definitely worth sticking with.

Although what am I to know, my AFL knowledge is categorically based on my like to post ratio on Bigfooty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Your ratio is as bad as mine...yet I still like to think I know lots ;)

Great idea....now to think of something populass to post
Well it certainly wouldn't be this thread then would it if that's what you are insinuating I am doing. I can post unpopular topics and still have a better post to like ratio. What newbie kimber is doing is actually what you are talking about lol. Logical fallacy.

... But if I could like my own posts I would like this particular comment.. I think it shows the logic fail in your post and newbie kimbers.

Last edited:
Back