Review Dees v Aints - the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:

- Back six was excellent today. Lever, Lewis, Jetta, Hibberd and OMac were all great. Seems like they're finally starting to gel.
- Midfield was on top for most of the game. Brayshaw had one of the best games I can remember him playing for a long while.
- Ball movement was excellent today in spurts.

Bad:

- Our pressure was good, but we let far too many tackles slip.
- Still have the habit of just hacking the ball to the top of the square when we go inside 50, though having TMac there makes it work a bit better.

Fugly:

- St. Kilda
- The game itself. Weird, flat feeling to the entire game.
- Only winning by 39 points. That should have been a 10 goal drubbing.

It somehow felt like our most consistent 4 quarter game whilst be thoroughly underwhelming. Possibly because it didn't feel like St Kilda had anything about them. That should have been an 80 point win.

St Kilda are fair dinkum horrific. worst side we have played so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints were always due to fall off a cliff after Riewoldt retired. He was still carrying them through their good days of 16/17.
Difference between the Saints and North is that the Saints' remaining experienced players are shithouse. Also their young players are shithouse. I just feel bad for Seb Ross.

Good
The Hogan (experiment) is working great.
Gawn, Oliver the backline.
Brayshaw is really developing, and getting back to his first year form.

The OK
Tom McDonald easing back in nicely.
Weideman is popping up late in games which is ok. As he develops he will have a bigger impact I believe.
Spargo did well. I, like a lot of others on this board, think they have recruited another gun.
Harmes delivery was pretty good today.
Lever played his best game so far.

The Bad
ANB, in a team that has some very clean hands in the midfield his handling of the ball is sticking out
Hannan. I like a lot of this game BUT his delivery into the forward 50 has not been great today.
The Saints really shot themselves in the foot today.

Overall a game that Melbourne should have won and did. And a game that puts some more experience and development into the team.

Bring on the Gold Coast next week.

Happy with the win but our ability to let the opposition kick late goals when we are miles in front is ridiculous, we should be kicking the late goals making that a 10 goal win. It happened last year and we missed the finals by the tiniest of %.
3 late goals to Essendon last week, and St Kilda the last 2 today. 3 goals difference and we'd be in the 8 over Sydney with Collingwood still playing

Would be interested in knowing how many goals we conceded from turnovers today
We were lucky that St Kilda are horrible in front of the sticks. We were very wasteful too, we still butcher the ball going forward at times but I think it's getting better, slowly. That's my only negative for the day, well that and not at least keeping it above 45, but we were tiring out and fumbling a lot. We are way off the best teams atm look at Richmond today was only 26 points at 3/4 time and won by 77. Even Hawthorn still have it, I think it will come one day but we need a few more preseason.

The umpring was ugly both ways. No real howlers but just average umpires they missed so much, they should be umpiring at casey.

I also really rate Spargo. The media froths over Jack Higgins but Spargo would be killing it at Richmond with their structure
It's weird, he was rated top-10 while he was still theoretically eligible for the Giants...yet dropped for no apparent reason apart from being a midget. You'd think clubs would have learnt from Caleb Daniel.

It's weird, he was rated top-10 while he was still theoretically eligible for the Giants...yet dropped for no apparent reason apart from being a midget. You'd think clubs would have learnt from Caleb Daniel.
Works for us. With Jason Taylor’s record I expect Petty and Baker to be the next Scarlett and Stevie J now

I also really rate Spargo. The media froths over Jack Higgins but Spargo would be killing it at Richmond with their structure

Who don't you rate :p

Petraccas had a horrible season to date. I'm switching my whipping boy from Brayshaw to him and Hunt now

Fugly is us not putting them away.

Still have the usual suspects out of form (Harmes, Tyson, ANB and Hannan). Couldnt really warrant them getting dropped though.

Hogan very good as was Gawn, Bradshaw and Oliver. Backline is as tight as a nuns sid.

We really need to get into form and get it going over the next couple of games or we will get torn apart in the back half of 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back