Autopsy Freo get mauled by the Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not that concerned about yesterday.

Brad Hill, Taberner and Sonny make a massive difference to the team.
I till think That Tabs and Cox with McCarthy is where we need to go until Dixon is ready.

Really please with Brayshaw and Cerra yesterday.

Brayshaw showed intent right from the start with his tackling, his ball use was good, Cerra was outstanding. I would be looking at pushing him into the midfield rotation more now.

only recently lost Tabs and Walters, MCG against the inform reigning premiers, Ross and the administration hounded to within an inch of their lives all week. The first years shown how tough it is against a big strong experienced quality midfield. Result not surprising.

I haven't seen anyone - including Rossco excusing a lack of tackle pressure and getting numbers to the ball. If he's as inflexible as some suggest, those 2 things in particular would have him riled, the fundamental KPI's he gives his teams not being met yesterday. Also, in his press conference, he specifically said the team can't just play well when it has the comforts of home, he wants a lot more effort than what he saw yesterday.

I often look at replays to see where the goals have come from (I already knew that Freo's Turnovers killed us, as they so often do).

Richmond's skills definitely appeared better than Freo's during the game, but it's not like Richmond didn't also have turnovers.
The major difference was when Richmond got that Turnover, they sniffed a goal and stormed forward in numbers. They capitalised on the turnovers when Freo didn't. So many times when a turnover occurred, I would count the Richmond vs Freo jumpers in the screen frame and they would outnumber Freo by 2 or more.

Apart from Walters (and maybe Ballas), Freo lack those players that generally look excited with the smell of a possible goal in the air.
Richmond has plenty of them, willing to run hard forward at the first sign of a possible move to attack.
We missed Tabs, Walters and B.Hill and against a current quality in form team like Richmond, they highlighted our deficiencies.

I’m sick of the excuses tbh. There isn’t an excuse for lack of tackle pressure, and getting numbers to the ball. I can cop a loss if the work rate was there.

This is the old paradigm thinking in a way. Richmond beat us more through keepings-off fast and skillful ball movement away from the congestion. We couldn't tackle and pressure them with their precise kick and mark to leading targets. Can't tackle a bloke if he marked it. We couldn't stop their flow and turn the game into a contested scrap. This is the style the AFL want, fast and open, Richmond do it so very well, and we mess it up so often.

What a hit piece if I've ever read one. So our wins count for nothing, lose to Eagles by a goal and a bit missing our two best forwards which means nothing as well. Hard to see where our improvement comes from despite have 13 players with under 50 games experience. Please.

Surprise surprise, it's a from Hardie. Look, I get the weekend was unacceptable, but only so far as it doesn't happen week in, week out. Results like the weekend I can deal at most 2-3 times a year as long as we are improving most weeks and I think any reasonable person would say we have improved from last year so far.

It would be nice if people could not over-react ever week (both ways) and see the bigger picture in moderation but I suppose that's too much to ask.

Foe what it's worth we clearly have major issues in dealing with pressure and there are things to work out but anyone honestly say so far this year we have not dramatically improved from 12 months ago?

Sorry for the interruption but Fyfe is singlehandedly one of the most amazing player I have ever seen. He is an absolute beast!

I concur. I was there at the G yesterday and i was in awe, especially Fyfe's aerial marking, it was unbelievable. He is an absolute beast inside the contest and marks it like a gun KPP.

Cerra is going to be A STAR. He will be a complete midfielder with all the tools; decision making, skill, composure, even hardness. Will be one of the best mids in the comp in a few years (he was a mad Richmond supporter too so i have a little soft spot for him). Brayshaw very impressive too, a gun but not with the same silk as Cerra. Good times ahead for Freo, just like we finished 13th in 2016, it can turn very quickly and the Dockers have alot of gun youngersters coming through.

What a steaming pile of crap.
2 weeks ago we were 3 and 1 and
What a hit piece if I've ever read one. So our wins count for nothing, lose to Eagles by a goal and a bit missing our two best forwards which means nothing as well. Hard to see where our improvement comes from despite have 13 players with under 50 games experience. Please.

Surprise surprise, it's a from Hardie. Look, I get the weekend was unacceptable, but only so far as it doesn't happen week in, week out. Results like the weekend I can deal at most 2-3 times a year as long as we are improving most weeks and I think any reasonable person would say we have improved from last year so far.

It would be nice if people could not over-react ever week (both ways) and see the bigger picture in moderation but I suppose that's too much to ask.

Foe what it's worth we clearly have major issues in dealing with pressure and there are things to work out but anyone honestly say so far this year we have not dramatically improved from 12 months ago?

100% agree. Hardie clearly has a vendetta against Ross for whatever reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our forward structure frustrates the s**t outta me, it works against lower teams but fails miserably against top teams. but I'm just a arm chair critic.

Richmond didnt have a loose man behind the ball at stoppages and clearances for the majority of the game. We just lost lots of one on one contests in the air.

We also kept kicking to the same spots and Richmond were ready for it and positioned better than us.

Our forward structure frustrates the s**t outta me, it works against lower teams but fails miserably against top teams. but I'm just a arm chair critic.

Ross prioritises defence so the first thing sacrificed when under the pump is forward structure. Against better teams you sacrifice forward and attacking midfield position to stop scoring the other way. It is ugly though.

Ross prioritises defence so the first thing sacrificed when under the pump is forward structure. Against better teams you sacrifice forward and attacking midfield position to stop scoring the other way. It is ugly though.

During the quarter time interview he was asked by the boundary rider about the performance and he was pretty critical of our forwards not holding their structure.

He went into damage control before the first bounce, sometimes you just have to try a win a game instead of trying to kill the contest.

Lol I love that only the third quarter was uploaded. Pretty fair I would say.
I can link the rest if you want them, but if I was a Freo supporter and hadn't seen the game I would make sure to watch that 3rd quarter

Certainly wouldn't worry about the game. Interstate travel with a lot of kids, injuries that really hurt your structure and playing a team that's in a nice patch of form at the moment

FWIW your new recruits were great. Going to form a fantastic core once they're a little bit older

Very considerate DrMike but we can take the truth.
I'm not going to say your team had a good game but this is still the truth:
upload_2018-5-7_17-20-25.png

I said to a mate today that Walters IMO is probably your most important player. Add Tabs being critical to your structure and you have a recipe for what happened. Really isn't the end of the world. Ross needs to fix things sure, but that's more players doing the fundamentals like laying tackles.

I think the hardest part is that you have such an elite talent in Fyfe that you probably feel this team needs to perform now so you can make the most of him while you can. Unfortunately this is just something that you need to have patience with. I think your rebuild has been fantastic so far. Hard to hear but give it time.

Anyway all the best guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back