Player Watch Most overrated players (current & retired) part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

You may be baiting, but in case you aren't, this is from the AA thread.

Also Rance has been in 65 1 on 1 contests this year, which is the most in the league. 2nd most is Talia with 54.
So that only playing lose is just complete bs. Hes just so good that he do both.
On top of that he loses 1/5.9 contests a game. Talia loses 0.8/4.9, Rampe 0.9/4.6.
Those are the only 2 players that are anywhere near his loss ratio for that volume over that many games.

Then is also 2nd in the league for intercept marks with 4 a game.
McGovern first with 4.5. But is then loses 1.3/3.5 1 on 1 contests a game. So not even close in that area.
The guys close to him with 1 on 1 play is Talia with 1.9 and Rampe with 1.6 a game.

Rance also no.1 in the league for score launches with 2.2 a game. McGovern is at 1.5, Talia 1.2, Rampe 0.8.

Rance has 7.3 spoils a game (8th in the league), Talia 7.4, McGovern 5.4, Rampe 5.

Rance also has 3.9 rebound 50s a game (9th in the league). Talia 1.9, Rampe 4.5, McGovern 4.2.

So basically Rance is elite in both one on one play and the lose man intercepting and rebounding play.
As far as I can tell other players can match him in 1 area, but not both. Clear AA because the selectors actually have a clue, unlike the people in here that think he only plays loose.
Who is he playing on though? Against us he was taken off Darling who was tearing it up and put on the resting ruckman. Its like McGovern for us. 1 on 1 stats look great but he isnt taking the best forwards.

Past: Milne

Just a very consistent, very limited forward. That was fine for the first half of his career, but in the back half was when forwards started becoming responsible for more than just putting them through the sticks. He's remembered as one of the greatest small forwards ever by some (his career goal tally is hard to ignore). He had the luxury of playing in a very good team for most of his career, rarely ever even came top 10 in his own B&F. His tackle numbers were shocking for a small forward (most seasons less than 2 a game). Didn't win the hard balls (twice as much uncontested footy as contested). Wasn't a great user of the footy (often below 60% DE). Let alone Johnson, Betts and Rioli, give me Walters or Breust over Milne if I've got a game to win. Those 0.2 or 0.3 goals a game you lose, you more than make up for in almost every other facet of the game.

Present: Hurley

I don't think a lot of people realise just how bad he has been this year. There are a certain number of possessions to go round in a game (especially in the back half) and someone is going to get them. Hurley's disposal has been poor (moving it very slow and averages over 5 turnovers per game). He doesn't get to defensive contests (only averages 2.3 spoils) and when he does, he has been losing almost half of his defensive one on ones (44%). He also gets almost exclusively uncontested possessions. He racks it up (because the ball is given to him) but this season he has been a defensive liability and his offensive game has been pretty awful as well. It's a blessing in disguise for Essendon that he went down. They need better options bringing the ball out of the back half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may be baiting, but in case you aren't, this is from the AA thread.

Also Rance has been in 65 1 on 1 contests this year, which is the most in the league. 2nd most is Talia with 54.
So that only playing lose is just complete bs. Hes just so good that he do both.
On top of that he loses 1/5.9 contests a game. Talia loses 0.8/4.9, Rampe 0.9/4.6.
Those are the only 2 players that are anywhere near his loss ratio for that volume over that many games.

Then is also 2nd in the league for intercept marks with 4 a game.
McGovern first with 4.5. But is then loses 1.3/3.5 1 on 1 contests a game. So not even close in that area.
The guys close to him with 1 on 1 play is Talia with 1.9 and Rampe with 1.6 a game.

Rance also no.1 in the league for score launches with 2.2 a game. McGovern is at 1.5, Talia 1.2, Rampe 0.8.

Rance has 7.3 spoils a game (8th in the league), Talia 7.4, McGovern 5.4, Rampe 5.

Rance also has 3.9 rebound 50s a game (9th in the league). Talia 1.9, Rampe 4.5, McGovern 4.2.

So basically Rance is elite in both one on one play and the lose man intercepting and rebounding play.
As far as I can tell other players can match him in 1 area, but not both. Clear AA because the selectors actually have a clue, unlike the people in here that think he only plays loose.
How many goals has his opponent scored against him?

Obviously the players listed below aren't all as equally overrated but...

Shane Woewodin - Brownlow? really?
Adam Cooney - see above
Nick Maxwell - Not sure where to start but the ego on this flog was so out of sync with his ability
Jack Riewoldt - Not as good as made out, famous surname.
Jarryd Roughead - goes missing when the heats on all too regularly. Good player but overrated for mine. Hurts to say but probably not the right choice for captain, it was obviously wonderful having him come back from being ill and was poetic but not the best choice for mine.
Taylor Walker - Goes missing when it matters.
Charlie Dixon - Prior to 2018 was rated appropriately. Has regressed quite severely this year but still seems to be rated highly.
Jarryn Geary - in what world should have this guy been made captain, captains don't play back pocket. A grunt player who tries his best with limited talent.
Marc Murphy - pretty lacklustre imo, not a great captain. Just happened to be the best of a very bad/consistently injured bunch.
Jason Johanissen - not sure where to begin but running quick and having flashy hair seems to equal an undeserved high rating.

Finally for the last couple of seasons Gary Ablett Jr.... yes he was unreal for a big portion of his career but he isn't the same player yet he seems to be raved and ranted about like its 26 year old GAJ playing. At this point in time massively overrated compared to the output. Winning Gold Coasts best and fairest in his last season there playing a handful of games was pretty much a massive joke.

Genuinely Alex Rance, fantastic player but so overrated by the media and Richmond fans.

This is the thing, Rance is a great player its undeniable but he is almost being undeservedly elevated into the Hall of Fame status due the amount of circle jerking that takes place over him.

I recognise this post will probably draw the ire of some on here but i'm happy to discuss if someone has a different view.

People will think I'm trolling or just salty, but I use to say it when he played for us that he was overrated..

Dangerfield.

If you can't hit a target consistently you are not elite. Takes big gambles that often don't come off in terms of attacking centre clearances and hurting the team structure. Both were noticeable when he played for us, and haven't changed at Geelong.

But he is a better player for Geelong than he was for us, no arguments there, he just has the same deficiencies.

Taylor Walker
Tom Rockliff
Daniel Rich
Robert Murphy
Zach Merrett
Nathan Wilson
Dyson Heppell
Cale Hooker
Seb Ross
Alex Rance
Jeremy Cameron
Shane Mumford
Jack Ziebell
Travis Boak
Charlie Dixon
Chad Wingard
Easton Wood

Taylor Walker
Tom Rockliff
Daniel Rich
Robert Murphy
Zach Merrett
Nathan Wilson
Dyson Heppell
Cale Hooker
Seb Ross
Alex Rance
Jeremy Cameron
Shane Mumford
Jack Ziebell
Travis Boak
Charlie Dixon
Chad Wingard
Easton Wood
Has Rich ever actually been rated ?

Obviously the players listed below aren't all as equally overrated but...

Shane Woewodin - Brownlow? really?
Adam Cooney - see above
Nick Maxwell - Not sure where to start but the ego on this flog was so out of sync with his ability
Jack Riewoldt - Not as good as made out, famous surname.
Jarryd Roughead - goes missing when the heats on all too regularly. Good player but overrated for mine. Hurts to say but probably not the right choice for captain, it was obviously wonderful having him come back from being ill and was poetic but not the best choice for mine.
Taylor Walker - Goes missing when it matters.
Charlie Dixon - Prior to 2018 was rated appropriately. Has regressed quite severely this year but still seems to be rated highly.
Jarryn Geary - in what world should have this guy been made captain, captains don't play back pocket. A grunt player who tries his best with limited talent.
Marc Murphy - pretty lacklustre imo, not a great captain. Just happened to be the best of a very bad/consistently injured bunch.
Jason Johanissen - not sure where to begin but running quick and having flashy hair seems to equal an undeserved high rating.

Finally for the last couple of seasons Gary Ablett Jr.... yes he was unreal for a big portion of his career but he isn't the same player yet he seems to be raved and ranted about like its 26 year old GAJ playing. At this point in time massively overrated compared to the output. Winning Gold Coasts best and fairest in his last season there playing a handful of games was pretty much a massive joke.

This is the thing, Rance is a great player its undeniable but he is almost being undeservedly elevated into the Hall of Fame status due the amount of circle jerking that takes place over him.

I recognise this post will probably draw the ire of some on here but i'm happy to discuss if someone has a different view.
Good post but think you are being a bit harsh on Roughead and Cooney. Appropriately rated before illness and a bad injury imo. Vastly overrated by the media now but appropriately rated by most i would think.

Taylor Walker
Tom Rockliff
Daniel Rich
Robert Murphy
Zach Merrett
Nathan Wilson
Dyson Heppell
Cale Hooker
Seb Ross
Alex Rance
Jeremy Cameron
Shane Mumford
Jack Ziebell
Travis Boak
Charlie Dixon
Chad Wingard
Easton Wood

Could spend ages breaking down why the majority of these are incorrect, but let's just attempt it as quickly as possible.

Tom Rockliff: Best is behind him. Had a solid couple of years ad the best player in an awful side. Probably the closest to being correct on your list.
Daniel Rich: Would have been a different story if he played for a team playing finals. He never took the next step because he didn't have the team around him to help him achieve it.
Robert Murphy: At his peak was one the classiest movers and decision makers in the game. People don't overrate his ability. His personality and leadership is what made him a household name in the footy community.
Zach Merrett: Excellent start to his career. One poor half season this year and people are jumping off him. Unfair.
Nathan Wilson: Not sure anyone rated him THAT highly?
Dyson Heppell: No one has suggested he is a star footballer. But a good, consistent one who is developing into a good leader.
Cale Hooker: Second closest to being correct.
Seb Ross: Had an outstanding year last year, but no one is suggesting he is a star of the competition.
Alex Rance: Slightly correct, but others have mentioned it.
Jeremy Cameron: His career stats when he retires are going to be very favourable. Can change a game.
Shane Mumford: Incorrect. Had a great career.
Jack Ziebell: Broke two legs in his first two years. Has still been a super solid contributor ever since. Not sure what people expected from him.
Travis Boak: Ultra consistent through good and bad times. Leads from the front.
Charlie Dixon: Too injured for the majority of his career, but when he is on he still looks really good.
Chad Wingard: A bad couple of seasons, but still an absolute gun.
Easton Wood: Athletic freak who had a couple of stand out years. A premiership captain. No one ever suggested he would be a star of the game.

Taylor Walker
Tom Rockliff
Daniel Rich
Robert Murphy
Zach Merrett
Nathan Wilson
Dyson Heppell
Cale Hooker
Seb Ross
Alex Rance
Jeremy Cameron
Shane Mumford
Jack Ziebell
Travis Boak
Charlie Dixon
Chad Wingard
Easton Wood
Seb Ross? Seriously? He's one of the most UNDERrated players in the comp

Rance's good is very good, but his bad is terrible. Any Richmond fan will tell you if Josh Jenkins can kick 5 on you then you are a spud

Remove this Banner Ad

Back