How emotionally invested in the footy do you get?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon GWS and GCS were 20 years too early

The time to act was when the money was there to sustain the run, and before the market became too invested in just the one state team.

Cricket is a shocker. The last time I gave a s**t re ODI was 2000 World Cup in UK and Test would be 2005 Series..since then crickets

Used to be just as passionate about it. Now I barely watch it at all with the exception of the test matches.

That is a great line and I think I know exactly how you feel.

Up until about 6 years ago I didn’t like wearing anything North Melbourne dont know why even to a point telling my wife don’t buy.
She ignored me like all good women and now I have so many north tops and shorts and hats that I generally wear something North every day,
I love the fact that I can have someone look at your North gear and them think about North.
Grow the brand

Nowhere near as much as I used to. I'd watch every game on TV, go to 2 or 3 games a weekend and the performance of NMFC would directly effect my mood. Now, I can be hardly bothered watching it on TV, I only go to NMFC games plus many one other every month and I can shrug off losses by the time I've got back to my car although I still enjoy the wins.

Then again, I'm in my mid 40s - everything today is lame compared to 20 years ago. Whereas, 20 years ago anything 20 years old or more was lame.

Then again, I'm in my mid 40s - everything today is lame compared to 20 years ago. Whereas, 20 years ago anything 20 years old or more was lame.

Nowhere near as much as I used to. I'd watch every game on TV, go to 2 or 3 games a weekend and the performance of NMFC would directly effect my mood. Now, I can be hardly bothered watching it on TV, I only go to NMFC games plus many one other every month and I can shrug off losses by the time I've got back to my car although I still enjoy the wins.

Exhibit A
Disney Star Wars

Making Uncle George’s prequels look awesome

It's certain teams that hurt more. A loss to Essendon stings the most.

I'll yell during the game while trying to actively maintain my composure so it ends up a rapid Jeckyl and Hyde of "what the * was that?!" "Oh yea he totally threw that"

Also trying to quit smoking has not helped being less annoyed by losses.

Considering I’m still feeling pissed off today, too emotionally invested. I’m angry at myself for starting to trust them. That was dead set weak as piss yesterday.

Don’t be. That ground shape is a congested mess that suits their current game plan. Thank god the GF isn’t played there.

FWIW I am liking Snakes longer kick rule change

Don’t be. That ground shape is a congested mess that suits their current game plan. Thank god the GF isn’t played there.

That 10 metre kick stuff is crap to watch, Hawthorn did it for years until the umps started calling them on it. Geelong did it all day yesterday.

That 10 metre kick stuff is crap to watch, Hawthorn did it for years until the umps started calling them on it. Geelong did it all day yesterday.

Chip, chip, chip, chip, chip, chip, chip,chip, chip, chip,chip, chip, chip,chip, chip, chip,chip, chip, chip..............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do you think they bitch and moan that finals, like last year's against Richmond which an hour up the road got 95,000, should be played at a regional venue that holds 36,000 at a stretch. They are one of very few teams who train on their home ground and who get the chance to lock out as many away fans as they want. Good luck to them, wish it was us, but their advantage at that ground is as significant as any in the comp. We were ordinary yesterday but the sky isn't falling yet.

Tend to drink too much and post on here regardless of whether we win or lose...so yes, I wish I wasn't so emotionally invested. If anything looking like we could go places this year makes losses worse: you know in the scheme of things it doesn't matter too much, but when you start to trust the side...well you can get too invested and then you also get burnt. Far better that than a year of picking out good performances from kids in losses though. I reckon this board should be shut down for 30 minutes after a loss, would save a bit of embarrassment and allow a but of reflection before venting.

After a game it’s pretty much 30 minutes of annoyance if we lose.

I then dread running into mates who we lost to the next week and that probably goes back to the Primary School yard of the 70’s when losing was met with humiliation.

Losing that 94 Prelim and 98 has kept perspective. That is losing on an epic scale, so whilst losing H&A are annoying, they can’t impact me like those two games ever will

Some wins are better than others...the Swans and Freo games were great...but the Lions win was meh.
I concur with 94 and 98 sentiment. I would also add the 2015 Prelim as well. I can't ever remember being so irrate in my own home. The lack of acknowledgment of how badly we were screwed over by the media throughout the following week s**t me even more. Their were no repercussions for anyone involved in that debacle.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Up until about 6 years ago I didn’t like wearing anything North Melbourne dont know why even to a point telling my wife don’t buy.
She ignored me like all good women and now I have so many north tops and shorts and hats that I generally wear something North every day,
I love the fact that I can have someone look at your North gear and them think about North.
Grow the brand
I always wear at least one item of North clothing.

It’s not going to work in finals, they simply don’t have the foot skills and composure against decent pressure sides to maintain it.

It will be interesting to see how they go against the Tigers next Sunday at the MCG. A very different ground and if Dusty is back they may not fare quite so well.

I reckon we can beat them on the MCG if we make the finals and play them and especially if we have Jed and Waitey back. Of course they have some good players out injured too, but yesterday if those 2 had been out there, the story might have been different.

Oh sorry. Off topic.

I take no interest in football really.

I concur with 94 and 98 sentiment. I would also add the 2015 Prelim as well. I can't ever remember being so irrate in my own home. The lack of acknowledgment of how badly we were screwed over by the media throughout the following week s**t me even more. Their were no repercussions for anyone involved in that debacle.

Actually that 2013 Naitanui goal was the most emotional in my own home I have been.

2015...no one was going to beat them over there Imo

It will be interesting to see how they go against the Tigers next Sunday at the MCG. A very different ground and if Dusty is back they may not fare quite so well.

I reckon we can beat them on the MCG if we make the finals and play them and especially if we have Jed and Waitey back. Of course they have some good players out injured too, but yesterday if those 2 had been out there, the story might have been different.

Oh sorry. Off topic.

I take no interest in football really.

I take my hat off to you Horace. If I went thru what you went thru with the Roys I'd wouldn't want anything to do with footy ever again.

I'm hanging my hat on this explanation as well. We had a one hour three-way melt (my two sons & I) in our house for about an hour after the game. We each retreated to our various bedroom with my wife, for the umpteenth time, threatening to ban North games in our house. I'm, now, coming round to liking a lot about how the team went about things yesterday - in hindsight. We played that game with everything in the Cats favour - ground, playing away, missing Waite and Anderson, 3 guys with, all up, 10 games between them. On top of all that, we were a bit flat and Browne didn't get a look in. However, 10 minutes into the last, I genuinely thought we could pinch it. Then, that stupid great goal by somebody I'd never heard of - who definitely must take out the Kerridge this week. After that, the wheels came off, as we tired. If we drop our bundle after the bye (ala 2016, I will be livid, no doubt. However, I feel much more confident now than I did back then. This week, the whole club was down and it showed. Now, we have to respond....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back