New Club - I'm Sorry Chris Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

Like all relative measures, that’s potentially misleading. If he did his job, and did it well, what does it matter intrinsically if others did theirs to a slightly higher standard? Doesn’t cast any shade on him.

Does a guy playing his role warrant a thread like this? I don’t think so. I’m not disputing he’s hitting internal targets only the necessity of a thread like this to pump up the tyres of a guy that’s playing his role. My support of that is that relatively speaking he wasn’t one of our better contributors.

What irks me is a guy like Langdon puts in a standout performance, but because he’s an established clear best 22 player the adulation is missing. What about Adams? He was absolute trash for a four week period, but his past 10 quarters since half time v the Doggies have been sublime. They are not only contributing in their roles, but offering standout performances. They’re the ones that should be pumped up not the underdog story role player barely in the best 22 filling his role...

Guess who’ll be front and centre praising him when he is worthy of the sort of wrap he received in here until this morning? It’ll be me. Until then though I’m happy to challenge any and every poster that wants to praise him and quotes me in the process!

I'll bet you don't really know what he said, or that he didn't say what you think he did

I bet you I do.

"Throwing under the bus" ring any bells?

Happy to give him some plaudits for his performance.

I think there will always be angst that we reportedly paid this guy $500K a year for 4 years and he didn't fire a shot in his first year, and now is playing good football (but not $500K a year football). It's still a mind boggling decision by the club.

But I can't begrudge him for scoring a good contract. Good on him for it! It was a terrific deal for him and he would have been crazy to knock it back.

He was really against all odds this year. I honestly thought he would just meekly put in a sub-standard VFL year and we'd look to off-load him come seasons end, even if it meant paying him out. But he obviously had a good pre-season and he forced his way into the team and then has held his spot. I think the injury to Aish was the opportunity he needed, and he took it.

Thought he was great yesterday.

What's done is done in regards to his contract. No point sulking about the past. For now, I'll judge him on his performances, which I think have been really solid and he is justifying his spot in our side.

Does a guy playing his role warrant a thread like this? I don’t think so. I’m not disputing he’s hitting internal targets only the necessity of a thread like this to pump up the tyres of a guy that’s playing his role. My support of that is that relatively speaking he wasn’t one of our better contributors.

What irks me is a guy like Langdon puts in a standout performance, but because he’s an established clear best 22 player the adulation is missing. What about Adams? He was absolute trash for a four week period, but his past 10 quarters since half time v the Doggies have been sublime. They are not only contributing in their roles, but offering standout performances. They’re the ones that should be pumped up not the underdog story role player barely in the best 22 filling his role...

Guess who’ll be front and centre praising him when he is worthy of the sort of wrap he received in here until this morning? It’ll be me. Until then though I’m happy to challenge any and every poster that wants to praise him and quotes me in the process!

Nobody has been as maligned as much as Mayne. Except maybe Cox.

Of course he deserves a thread. You dont need to post if you think its not threadworthy.

Last edited:
Sco I do think this thread is more about giving credit where it's due - he has been much maligned by one and all (myself included) - so it's fair enough when he does well for the boot to be on the other foot.

I don't see it as 'pumping him up' at all, rather just acknowledging improved performances.

Nobody has been as maligned as Mayne. Except maybe Cox.

Of course he deserves a thread. You dont need to post if you think its not threadworthy.

I’d prefer to challenge the views of others than the approach you’ve suggested.

Sco I do think this thread is more about giving credit where it's due - he has been much maligned by one and all (myself included) - so it's fair enough when he does well for the boot to be on the other foot.

I don't see it as 'pumping him up' at all, rather just acknowledging improved performances.

I’m not going to argue with you here JB because I think you’ve got me pegged better than anyone that’s responded thus far, but I’ll leave these hear.

“The new version of Leroy Brown. Get around him. Heart and soul of the club.”

“There should be a crowd that rocks up tomorrow and says we are sorry Chris. With lots of hugs.”

A gif referring to haters gon hate as well?

Plus multiple calls for it as the best game he’s played for the club which is marginal and probably a sign of where he’s really at.

Hubris is the word that springs to mind and Ketchups post on the first page seems under appreciated to me...

I’d prefer to challenge the views of others than the approach you’ve suggested.

I’m not going to argue with you here JB because I think you’ve got me pegged better than anyone that’s responded thus far, but I’ll leave these hear.

“The new version of Leroy Brown. Get around him. Heart and soul of the club.”

“There should be a crowd that rocks up tomorrow and says we are sorry Chris. With lots of hugs.”

A gif referring to haters gon hate as well?

Plus multiple calls for it as the best game he’s played for the club which is marginal and probably a sign of where he’s really at.

Hubris is the word that springs to mind and Ketchups post on the first page seems under appreciated to me...
I hear ya Sco, some overreact one way or another - I'll just leave it by saying he will need to further improve to hold his spot once moore and billy become available. And truthfully doubt he can improve enough to keep either out.

Reckon the club made a mistake in 2017 by not giving Cox and Mayne a second chance. They basically threw them on the scrapheap after 2-3 games. Cox was lucky to get a recall only because Grundy was suspended in round 21ish and he has never looked back since, only missing one game due to suspension since then. Great that Mayne has shown the same dedication to the task, never dropped his head and never gave up and finally has earned his recall and grabbed it with both hands.

Every week that goes by is another week Mayne starts edging towards being a lock in our best 22. A lot of work to do to achieve that but hes playing well and thats all you can ask for. Its a great story and those that dont want to listen to it dont have to.

Fortunately the club has generally selected its side pretty well and not been knee jerk every time somebody has a bad day. Thats why Maynard Langdon Crisp Phillips etc are suddenly experienced 50 gamers and reliable senior players.....because the club invested in them and gave them time to settle in. Its probably part of the reason Mayne never got a recall last year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect that you have a much more logical, clinical view of footy than most and aren't as interested in the romance of the much maligned character's rise to acceptance and respect. For me though, and I suspect many others, footy and caring about the success or failure of the mighty Pies is about romance and not logic. Thus the Mayne story is one worth telling, exaggerating and embellishing. Not criticising you for sticking to logic, but you're smashing your head against a brick wall. It's like pointing out the illogical aspects of the biblical tale of Lazurus.

He takes an eternity to make the call, which has invariably been right, but it kills momentum taking a moving structure to a stop play.
Yes! To others, have a look at how long he takes to kick the ball after a stoppage or a mark. Players moving to spots but because of the time taken, all are then covered.
Annoys the hell out of me as he also stands too far apart from opponent minding space. Gets out on his own too much leaving his opponent free to become a free option if the ball suddenly changes from attack to defence.

Will say though that his last quarter was the best to date, maybe that is what posters are pleased about?

Not best 22 in my mind.

Yes! To others, have a look at how long he takes to kick the ball after a stoppage or a mark. Players moving to spots but because of the time taken, all are then covered.
Annoys the hell out of me as he also stands too far apart from opponent minding space. Gets out on his own too much leaving his opponent free to become a free option if the ball suddenly changes form attack to defence.

Will say though that his last quarter was the best to date, maybe that is what posters are pleased about?

Not best 22 in my mind.
Agreed.
And I think many would also agree, that with a full list available, Mayne would not be in the 22.
He has fitted in pretty well to the roll he is playing now, but players like Varcoe, Elliott, (a very fit) Wells, Broomhead, Aish and even to a degree Moore, when fit, will push him out of the 22

I suspect that you have a much more logical, clinical view of footy than most and aren't as interested in the romance of the much maligned character's rise to acceptance and respect. For me though, and I suspect many others, footy and caring about the success or failure of the mighty Pies is about romance and not logic. Thus the Mayne story is one worth telling, exaggerating and embellishing. Not criticising you for sticking to logic, but you're smashing your head against a brick wall. It's like pointing out the illogical aspects of the biblical tale of Lazurus.

I suspect you’re close to the mark. Although in the recesses of my analytical brain I’m happy to acknowledge he’s a better player than he was in 2017, he deserves respect for that and both he and the club deserve plaudits for making the best of the situation. The overriding thought though is that there’s still room for me at my belligerent best on this one!

The Lazarus stories for me are Dunn and Buckley and although I lack the positive emotional investment of some in this particular story there is still an investment because I will buy in at some point provided his output warrants it...

Does a guy playing his role warrant a thread like this? I don’t think so.
The MayneEvent now looks every bit a part of our best 22.

After the amount of sh1t he has copped, IMO he certainly deserves a bit of a pump up for a change.
I’m not disputing he’s hitting internal targets only the necessity of a thread like this to pump up the tyres of a guy that’s playing his role. My support of that is that relatively speaking he wasn’t one of our better contributors.
He was a good player yesterday.

3rd most clearances, 5th most pressure acts, equal 3rd for tackles, equal 8th for score involvements. A good well rounded game.

He has been an important contributor for us in 2018.

So yes when a player who has basically been derided by the majority of supporters ever since joining us, why not give him a pump up thread instead of the usual trash that is written about him?

The MayneEvent now looks every bit a part of our best 22.

After the amount of sh1t he has copped, IMO he certainly deserves a bit of a pump up for a change.

He was a good player yesterday.

3rd most clearances, 5th most pressure acts, equal 3rd for tackles, equal 8th for score involvements. A good well rounded game.

He has been an important contributor for us in 2018.

So yes when a player who has basically been derided by the majority of supporters ever since joining us, why not give him a pump up thread instead of the usual trash that is written about him?

He can have the pump up you desire when it’s warranted. Yesterday a role player playing his role didn’t warrant it, IMO!

Perhaps it’s also worth getting off that high horse of yours and accepting that the trash was deserved based on his hopeless 2017. Unless of course you’d like a moratorium on people calling it as they see it on a footy forum? Which by the by is a far more relevant discussion than this particular one.

Anyway when was the last time we saw him lambasted? From memory it was pre-season when his form continued to be terrible. Where’s the injustice in that?

Last edited:
He can have the pump up you desire when it’s warranted. Yesterday a role player playing his role didn’t warrant it, IMO!
LoL...he is only allowed a pump up thread when you think it is warranted!

Some people are happy to see the MayneEvent proving them wrong, ie they thought he was a washed up hack who we should delist.

Similar to big Mason, not every player is created equal...guys like Cox n Mayne are/were written off, and a player who people once derided they are now happy seeing him play well in the BnW stripes, hence the ‘sorry’ thread.

He obviously hasn’t proved you wrong yet though...

LoL...he is only allowed a pump up thread when you think it is warranted!

Some people are happy to see the MayneEvent proving them wrong, ie they thought he was a washed up hack who we should delist.

Similar to big Mason, not every player is created equal...guys like Cox n Mayne are/were written off, and a player who people once derided they are now happy seeing him play well in the BnW stripes, hence the ‘sorry’ thread.

He obviously hasn’t proved you wrong yet though...

Spare me the childishness. You know damn well that I meant a pump up from me. The bullshit above is poles apart from that. I at least have the humility to acknowledge that differing views should be accepted whether I agree or not and only ever think threads themselves are unwarranted in that context if they double up on a discussion!

You got the bolded part spot on. As I’ve indicated already I’ll gladly take my serving of humble pie when he gets there (just as I did with Varcoe in 2015), but you’re histrionics are hardly convincing and pretty lame TBH.

Last edited:

I think you have set a standard of comparison here that you see as relevant when suggesting Adams needs to be acknowledged having improved greatly over his last 10 quarters - but are reluctant to accept the same benchmark for Mayne.

Whether he is best 22 or not his improvement in his last 10 qtrs is worthy of praise, which I think many here are trying to convey.

There is no basis to argue against this fact - he definitely has improved.

However, most here would also agree with you that giving younger guys an opportunity, at Maynes expense has no downside especially against Carlton.

If Mayne had performed in his first game like he did yesterday, then we would have saved 100 pages of debate here.
As to his future - I think most here would agree that he showed yesterday he is more than capable as depth player even in big games on the MCG.
He did a lot of good, intelligent things yesterday, and unlike other games I did not cringe once, and was clapping on this inside on a number of occasions.

Last edited:
Come on Sco - footy is about passion not statistics and objectivity!

Take the plunge, show Mayney some love xxox

Footy is all types of things to all types of people. Providing some shade on a particularly subjective topic was enjoyable, but Doppleganger pushed it too far. That you liked it was pretty disappointing for me as someone that enjoys your more whimsical approach to things...

Has a seasoned AFL body, great work ethic and great attitude. He fits when our team is playing well because he will play the role. He ain't winning us games and he is unlikely to lose us any either.

On the plus side, his work on the inside of the contest is really quite good for a wing man. But he will need to continue to improve as he has done the past few weeks if he is to be anymore than the 21st or 22nd player picked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back