Opinion Who is worth Pick 1 or more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
With pick 1 being so highly regarded, double points from pick 10 and 500 more than pick 2, who do you actually think is worth pick one if more?
Let's say it's an average draft year and the player is contracted but has requested a trade to any club?

I don't think it's that many....
Cripps, Dusty, Kelly,.....
Maybe NicNat, Gawn, Grundy, Fyfe, Rance Danger, Lynch or McGovern to the right team but I don't actually think there is that many players worth the straight swap?

With pick 1 being so highly regarded, double points from pick 10 and 500 more than pick 2, who do you actually think is worth pick one if more?
Let's say it's an average draft year and the player is contracted but has requested a trade to any club?

Maybe NicNat, Gawn, Grundy, Fyfe, Rance Danger, Lynch or McGovern to the right team but I don't actually think there is that many players worth the straight swap?
If cripps/dusty/kelly we're to leave I'd ask for more than pick 1, the number 1 draft pick has no guarantees and the 3 listed are established superstars who have shown they can perform to a very high standard.

With talk every year of what the team should do with pick 1 (especially this year) I thought it would be intersting

Isn’t it the same as the thread “what do Carlton do with pick 1”?

In any case, it’s just a pick. If your going to trade Grundy for pick 1, more than likely pick 2 is going to get it done too.

No, just no

It's not that far off, Sidebottom and Treloar would be worth pick one to the right team that needed that type of midfielder. Pendles no because of age and Grundy a definite yes. DeGoey would also be worth number one.

Dees would have a few, Oliver, Gawn, Hogan and quite possibly even Tom McDonald. Again to the right team Viney might even be worth one, when sound.

Pick one is super overrated. Usually teams feel pressured into taking the concensus kind of best sure bet prospect, rather than the player with projected huge upside. I think you would need to go back to Riewoldt for the best player to be pick one from any draft.

There're plenty around, from a Lions POV and with our age profile I'd only be giving up pick one + more for demonstrated young guns eg. Orazio Fantasia, Marcus Bontempelli, Jordan De Goey, Charlie Curnow, Clayton Oliver, Jackson Macrae, Ollie Wines, James Sicily, Josh Kelly, Patrick Cripps, Toby Greene, Elliot Yeo, Stephen Coniglio, Jack Viney, Lachie Whitfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe is easily in the top bunch. Natanui no way due to injuries. And surely any player who has just signed on for $1.2 million x 5 years would be worth pick 1?

Pick 1 for a 30 year old? Seriously?

Sidebottom and Treloar also a big no and ruckman just aren't that highly valued in modern footy.

Gawn isn't worth pick 1 and he is easily the best ruck in the comp.

Gawn is worth pick 1 to a team that is within 3-4 years of a flag. No player 25+ (age) is worth pick 1 to Carlton.

Nic nat nowhere near pick 1, especially with his injury history.

Cripps, Dusty, Josh Kelly and Tom Lynch (GC) the only players worthy of pick 1 I reckon.

Charlie Curnow not far off.

Not far off he reckons. mMate the chances of drafting someone as good as Curnow with the top pick wouldn't be 20% why on earth would you take that risk?

Not far off he reckons. mMate the chances of drafting someone as good as Curnow with the top pick wouldn't be 20% why on earth would you take that risk?
20% is a bit over the top mate. Pick 1 will get you a gun player unless you're Melbourne. You have a crack at getting the best kid in the country who could potentially be a superstar and better than Curnow, and at worst will still be a very good player. I'd take that risk.

As I said, Curnow is not far off pick 1, and if he continues to develop he will get there. At the moment I'd value him as a top 5 pick but not quite pick 1.
Just my opinion mate.

20% is a bit over the top mate. Pick 1 will get you a gun player unless you're Melbourne. You have a crack at getting the best kid in the country who could potentially be a superstar and better than Curnow, and at worst will still be a very good player. I'd take that risk.

As I said, Curnow is not far off pick 1, and if he continues to develop he will get there. At the moment I'd value him as a top 5 pick but not quite pick 1.
Just my opinion mate.

Hardly guaranteed a gun every time. Look at the pick ones from the last decade.

2008 - Jack Watts
2009 - Tom Scully
2010 - David Swallow
2011 - Johnathan Patton
2012 - Lachie Whitfield
2013 - Tom Boyd
2014 - Patrick McCartin
2015 - Jacob Weitering
2016 - Andrew McGrath
2017 - Cameron Rayner

Picks are ovverated. Its a lottery even at pick 1. would rather have a guy that will kick 40-50+ goals per year or be one of the best intercept players in the comp or a young gun mid like Jeagar & Mitchell.

People worth pick 1 or more from Hawthorn:
Sicily
Mitchell
Bruest
Gunston
O'Meara

im sure ill get people who strongly disagree but its more how you rate pick 1 rather than how your rate the current players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back