Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Love how aggressive he is, he's really willing to take players on with a fend-off or just back his pace/momentum.

He, along with Gunston, Hardwick and Nash were really the only positives out of that horrible game.

FIFY

Burnt the ball quite a bit tonight, I think he gets a bit overzealous with his fend offs and breaking tackles and ends up rushing a kick forward. Will learn from that though we've seen enough already he can be a deadly kick, haven't seen a first year player this comfortable at AFL level and the assists he brings since Cyril.

Burnt the ball quite a bit tonight, I think he gets a bit overzealous with his fend offs and breaking tackles and ends up rushing a kick forward. Will learn from that though we've seen enough already he can be a deadly kick, haven't seen a first year player this comfortable at AFL level and the assists he brings since Cyril.
Yes, like this.

I see him as Jordan Lewis MKII. :p
Very different player for mine. Has an extra burst of speed and a bit more confident in going the fend off.

Jordan had a bit more of a mean streak, and, at this stage, cleaner with disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mentioned earlier in the year about meeting a recruiter from another club (just left his role to travel with family after 15 years)who basically said a lot of recruiters are led by media perception and tomslme extent that drives pre draft rankins. Eg, if enough people say X is number 1 then eventually x is number 1 irrespective of what their eyes may say. People become afraid of being different or voicing a lone opinion- except for the most part the Hawthorn team under GW. The guy I met said it was his career failing never to have worked with Wrighty.

I say this because Worpel was the example we discussed when opinion (his disposal is poor was the knock and repeated round the traps as nauseam) when without blinkers one could see a ready made player, a leader and so much upside if a club could be bothered to coach him. He laughed in recalling the slip to mid forties for this kid when
he rated him as top 10 “and that might be underselling him”.

Sorry for the waffle but this lad is good now and had potential to be anything.

Will be the greatest pick 43 in the history of the game. I’ve never seen an adult body like his at the mere age of 19. He is an absolute animal. He will get better with time and has the right aggression to play match hardened players.

Will have troughs, however he has a will about him which is beyond his years suggest.

Enormous find and so pleased he is ours.

KOLOKOTRONIS

I love Harry Morrison. Think he will keep building every year into a very good player. But Worps looks like something else. His last month of footy - he has been a very good player already. Potential to be a superstar.

Different player to Selwood, but his impact this past month has got to be as good or better than what Selwood was producing in his first year.

Has anyone got Worp’s stats from the last month?

I know he’s physically solid, but still a huge amount of physicil development left in this guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can we bring back the No.1 guernsey back for this kid?

The kid is a beast!

I don’t think I have ever seen a first year player have the same impact against men. Cyril doesn’t count.

He will get the Hodge like aura to inspire his piers & put the fear of unsociable football back on the agenda.

He will lead by example & drag players with him.
Guys like Hardwick, Sicily, Brand, Jags, Mitchell, Howe & more recently Burton have a hard edge of an era that is long past in the AFL. Not to say that there aren’t a ton of players out there that have an edge but a collective that can develop this attitude is a force to be reckoned with.

Worps doesn’t look to be afraid to take the reigns & he has certainly got the fortitude to take the whip hand to the opposition.

#worpel1

Burnt the ball a lot. Ordinary by foot (as the clip above shows) and panicked in close by hand several times. Lucky he wasn’t deep in defence or had red hair or we’d be calling for his head.

Burnt the ball a lot. Ordinary by foot (as the clip above shows) and panicked in close by hand several times. Lucky he wasn’t deep in defence or had red hair or we’d be calling for his head.

Yeah he did tonight in his 7-8th game. The kid you’re talking about has been on the list a while and been forgiven for plenty of shocking performances. Just this year he hasn’t been afforded same leeway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back