Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is he a ruck or a forward\ruck ?

If he is not a forward, then is he an upgrade on Sean Darcy?

I don't see how signing him improves our 22, especially as we have many other needs.

If he is going to be an avenue to inside fifties because he can mark up the ground then he doesn't need to be kicking bags of goals forward, he lets our other talls stay forward and they kick goals.

Structurally I can see it, a big tall marking player. Having Tabs, Cox and Lobb leading from deep and the opposition unsure on which will be the player offering the option will mean they get their miss-matches. Leave Sandi or Darcy floating higher up the ground to run to fill a hole in defense if the ball is turned over. Marking targets all over the ground.

A 207cm target will drag a key defender out of the forward line to spoil his mark, or he is marking against a much smaller opponent. Either way is a win as long as we have our other talls inside fifty being hit up by our midfield.

If he is going to be an avenue to inside fifties because he can mark up the ground then he doesn't need to be kicking bags of goals forward, he lets our other talls stay forward and they kick goals.

Structurally I can see it, a big tall marking player. Having Tabs, Cox and Lobb leading from deep and the opposition unsure on which will be the player offering the option will mean they get their miss-matches. Leave Sandi or Darcy floating higher up the ground to run to fill a hole in defense if the ball is turned over. Marking targets all over the ground.

A 207cm target will drag a key defender out of the forward line to spoil his mark, or he is marking against a much smaller opponent. Either way is a win as long as we have our other talls inside fifty being hit up by our midfield.

I see a slow lumbering forward line with no forward pressure, and the ball coming out quickly if we do not take a mark.

I find it interesting that teams are currently planning their recruiting and trading strategy without knowing whether fairly significant rule changes are going to be implemented next year.

I guess the introduction of 6-6-6 starting zones would increase the need for strong marking targets?

Is the 6-6-6 being suggested at every stoppage or just centre bounces? If it is just for centre bounces I can't see it having a major impact on game plans, list management, etc.

HF: Dixon \McCarthy Taberner Walters
F: <Small to Med. Forward> Cox <Forward Pocket>

With out quick forwards in your forward 50, you buggered. We have none. Adding two is must this trade\draft. adding a lumbering forward would leave us going backwards.

Is the 6-6-6 being suggested at every stoppage or just centre bounces? If it is just for centre bounces I can't see it having a major impact on game plans, list management, etc.
They are possibly going to extend it to a player not being able to stand further back than the square. Winning a clearance and kicking it deep forward quickly would probably help contested marking forwards.

HF: Dixon \McCarthy Taberner Walters
F: <Small to Med. Forward> Cox <Forward Pocket>

With out quick forwards in your forward 50, you buggered. We have none. Adding two is must this trade\draft. adding a lumbering forward would leave us going backwards.
Yep, and with our history of injury will Walters, Swita, Bennell, to stay on the park? Then we rely on Balla, to kick his
1 goal a game average.
Better to pay Lobb $30,000 a goal to earn his $700,000 paycheck.

As Shiel is a possibility to leave GWS, GWS may not agree to trade Lobb anyway.
My first thought was the urgency to trade him with the deal being under market value will have abated that is for sure.

I’m happy for us to stick to our guns on a trade value of end of first round early second round. If they want more then sorry Lobb you can go to the Eagles for lower salary or just stay at GWS and see out your contract and we can have another look then. With Sandi gone end of next season and Apeness/Jones/Meeks all out of contract makes more sense anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be happy if we got 5 and 23 for Neale and ontraded 23 for Lobb .

Stick the big guy at FF, Tabs at CHF and send Cox back to defence. Try and trade 2 of Apeness, Jones or Meek.

Pick up 2 of Bailey, Smith or Rankine in first round of ND

If Cox is a party animal then send him back to SA for a 2nd rounder.

can't stand the fella, but boy can he play (when he is switched on), but do we make a play for Wingard?

No way, asking far too much, and he ain’t that good.

He is that good though, thats the issue hes just lazy and * and never got fit enough.

He COULD learn a lot from spending 6 months with Sonny.

Yep. It will work... if we play to the strengths of it.

West Coast are very effective with all 3 of Kennedy, Darling, Lycett/Vardy and hell even Waterman was in there for a game or two with all of those.

We would need to improve out skill level overall (the 1st rounder becomes important then - would need to look for midfield skills), we would need to try and play a bit deeper in the forward line and try and play a touch more open like West Coast do. The intercept marking is there in defence, it's just the transition that isn't. And who knows, 3 KPFs could help in that respect - how many times do you see JJK or Darling talking a mark just backward of centre on a lead to help their transition. We'd also really, really need to look at bringing in some good small forwards to take advantage of the ball coming to ground and not let the opposition waltz it out.

It comes back to what we want to do with him. Is it just to replace Tabs or Cox (please no)? Then what's the point of giving up real value for a small marginal gain - it is Freo of old chasing KPFs. If it is to really try and play to Lobb's strengths, I can deal with that. If the price is right.

I think Cox deserves a bit more love.

Cox kicked 18.14 so accuracy is average not terrible. definitely needs to work on his close range shots. Otherwise his skills are good and things seem to happen when he gets it - just needs to get it more. Contested marking and tackle pressure are also good.

If we had Cox, Tabs and Lobb on the list Cox should be first picked......he's the only 1 of the 3 with a realistic chance of becoming an A-grade KPF. Then it leaves Tabs and Lobb fighting for the ruck/fwd position. I'm not confident Lobb is any better than tabs so don't see the point in trading for him.

Cox kicked 18.14 so accuracy is average not terrible. definitely needs to work on his close range shots. Otherwise his skills are good and things seem to happen when he gets it - just needs to get it more. Contested marking and tackle pressure are also good.

If we had Cox, Tabs and Lobb on the list Cox should be first picked......he's the only 1 of the 3 with a realistic chance of becoming an A-grade KPF. Then it leaves Tabs and Lobb fighting for the ruck/fwd position. I'm not confident Lobb is any better than tabs so don't see the point in trading for him.
Pretty much this...

Talk of moving Cox back to defense is ridiculous, he's our best KPF prospect by far and has done some incredible games for a 19 year-old KPF in a team with the worst F50 entries in the comp...

Could not agree more. Cox looks the most likely of anyone I can remember in recent times.

Needs to call Josh Kennedy's kicking coach, he looks better when he does the full JJK dance and then just boots it.

Cox has still got a heap of developing to do, which isn’t unusual for a KPP. While he’s leaning how to play consistently and kick straight, we need a mature age player who can just plug in.

Nat turned 27 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back