Mega Thread 2018 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we get pick 4(5) and 22(26) from the Lions for Neale, I really like to keep both top 6 picks.

Would Lions 2018 second round and 2019 Fremantle's second pick be enough for Lobb?

It would be too much especially when you consider the importance of trading him and shedding the salary to GWS.

Lobb had vertebral stress fractures, he came back early because GWS needed him. I wouldn’t judge him on this year.

I’d also like to know how many goals their tall forwards kicked when he was in this role, compared to when he wasn’t or wasn’t playing, and if he took any heat/defenders off them.

For me, I don’t mind lobb and think he is an improvement on both cox and probably Taberner, but not by much. I think tabs would be better as a stand along forward and not having to ruck. Would only do a future second at most.

Or if we somehow jagged Brisbane’s 2019 first (as well as the 2018 first) I wouldn’t mind a Mccarthy type deal where we get the gws first, lobb and 2 second rounds if we were eye balling someone else.

That someone else for 2019 giants first round I would love that doesn’t seem to be linked anywhere is Jake Lloyd. We must have a heap of cap space. A big offer to Lloyd would be good. I see Ryan, Wilson, hamling and pearce as the back line locks and then two spots completely up for grabs, so would look great if we have Lloyd there

Why are we so set on going after talls? All we really need are dangerous forwards full-stop. Just go after the smalls/mediums that come so much cheaper.
So the most goals he has kicked in a season for GWS is 29? McCarthy kicked more with them, and even midfielders
have equalled, beaten that number.
We have all seen how well Cam has done in our system, I guarantee if he went to the Eagles he would star, and will be the
next whipping boy in ours.
It's not just the cattle we have, don't have, and if we add more talls, the ball is brought to ground, intercepted, smashed
on the rebound.

If Lobb is a salary dump for GWS & he is currently their number 1 ruckman then surely trading them a ruckman for him should be an option.
Jones has shown that he can compete & is more in the mould of a Nankervis type of combative ruck they used to have in Mumford, so perhaps a swap of big men with a late pick from us as well would help all parties out. (pops collar:cool:)

Last edited:
Why are we so set on going after talls? All we really need are dangerous forwards full-stop. Just go after the smalls/mediums that come so much cheaper.

Agree with this. surely this is just the media, and our recruiters /football managers are not that stupid.

The only other option is that Darcy is about to be traded out (Unlikely).

I see Lobb as a ruck only (B Grade ruck), with no elite attribute other the ability to occasionally take a great mark.

If we signed him as a forward\ruck, he would be a down grade on Taberner.

With Lobb, i'd offer $500k, and get GWS to pay $200k for 1 year, then i'd be paying him base of $500k with incentives. We are probs in a position to do this, as we don't have high paying players like West coast. As far as compensation, 2nd rounder from Lachie deal, or the year after. He's played 70 odd games, and is 25 so he really is in the zone for a key forward if he's played there mostly.

I dont know if i buy that excuse. His production was ok as the sole ruck later in the season and after the injury

Nah, he was pretty bad all year long I would of thought. When did he play well later in the season? Off the top of my head he was embarrassed by Gawn only a few weeks ago and got beat by Sinclair in the non-finals match against the Swans. He's not a ruck-forward nor was he fit for the role this year.

Edit: ADE game was another stinker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of them are elite, I agree. I disagree they can’t play in the same team. Lobb had his best year with Patton and Cameron with Mumford as the main ruck. All it means is that Sandi is maintained and Darcy takes the no. 1 ruck when Sandi’s being rested.

If all it costs is, say, a second round pick and cap space, I’d be all over it. We have cash to burn.

I think Cox plays 2019 as the third tall defender.

Cant have Cox-Taberner-Lobb in the forward line plus Sandilands-Darcy rucking and occassionally resting forward.

Then in 2020 when Sandilands retires we have the option of returning Cox to the forward line or leaving him back.

If we bring in Lobb and our talls stay fit its hard to see McCarthy and Kersten getting a run.

So the most goals he has kicked in a season for GWS is 29? McCarthy kicked more with them, and even midfielders
have equalled, beaten that number.
We have all seen how well Cam has done in our system, I guarantee if he went to the Eagles he would star, and will be the
next whipping boy in ours.
It's not just the cattle we have, don't have, and if we add more talls, the ball is brought to ground, intercepted, smashed
on the rebound.

Lobb is a genuine tall target though. McCarthy is more of a 3rd or 4th tall and was seen as a Mayne replacement but doesn't have Mayne's work-rate.

I find it interesting that teams are currently planning their recruiting and trading strategy without knowing whether fairly significant rule changes are going to be implemented next year.

I guess the introduction of 6-6-6 starting zones would increase the need for strong marking targets?

Lobb will be 26 next year, if Neale leaves then our timeline of rebuilding to a genuine grand final threat will not fit in well with our future ambitions, assuming we'll be asked to give a draft pick in the 15 - 30 range.

Offering him 700k a year, on a long term deal and god forbid, a draft pick of any substantial value, is absolute madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back