The absolute state of Channel 7 commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

When I go to games live I take along a pair of these, they allow you to hear the umpire mics during the quarter.
Gives you a good insight as to what is going on out there because you get to hear the players along with the umpires explaining why they paid what they did as well as how they communicate with each other
afl-premium-sportsears_29531.jpg

They look awesome.But the website says that due to the AFL changing their operational requirements, they will no longer be useable after the 2018 Grand Final. Disappointing! I was gonna get some.

They look awesome.But the website says that due to the AFL changing their operational requirements, they will no longer be useable after the 2018 Grand Final. Disappointing! I was gonna get some.
That sucks. I wonder if it means that the AFL will bring out their own

That's just plain wrong though.
Brazilian soccer players are almost exclusively called by a nickname. LeBron James is often called the King during commentary, "Magic" Johnson is never called Earvin, Shaq always called Shaq, David Ortiz i often called Big Papi or Papi

Every one of those guys are massive, massive stars though, each of them are legends that transcend the game they play/ed. Bit different than talking about Poppy, Jake the Package and Big Boy McEvoy who are basically role players. US sports commentaries are generally way more restrained and professional than ours.

In most cases you've given they are actual nicknames the player themselves have cultivated.

You think Ben McAvoy insists on being called Big Boy?

That Orazio Fantasia orders a coffee as hoooooooraaatzzio!

Etc

It's so embarrassing and amateur.

Completely agree

It always got on my nerves that Steve Johnson was exclusively referred to as “Stevie J” in the commentary.

I can handle the tendencies of Derwayne, McGuire, Dermott, J. Brown, Ricciuto, Lynch, Roos, etc. Not ideal, but at least they are soberly talking about the footy. Same goes for the old Ten crew like Lloyd, Lane, Underwood, Quartermain, etc.

It's the bombast and disinterest of C7 I just can't digest. I'm sure some of the C7 commentators and special comments folk would be workable in a different work environment. It is the deferring to C7 branding that has to go, it isn't worth the denigration of the broadcast product. The cheap cynicism has to go.

I don't watch Basketball so I'll take your word on that they certainly don't do it in the NHL or the NFL as far as I know. As for Brazilian soccer players well... their names are so long that they have to shorten them in order to pronounce it right, its not a nick name just a shorten version of their actual name.
So Dusty isn’t a shortened version of his name? Which by the way is a valid form of nick name
I’m not sure how Pele is a shortened version of Edson Arantes do Nascimento. And I’m pretty sure Hulk isn’t short for anything.
NFL commentators absolutely used to do it (I haven’t kept up in the last couple of years) but Pacman Jones was always called Pacman not Adam. Boomer Eisison is another one from the archives.

Look, Ch7’s commentary is horrendous but to pick on them for using nicknames when virtually all sports across the world do the same is a bit disingenuous.

So who is ready to be shat on by the commentators on preliminary final weekend???
Food or alcohol helps with the shat, have tried mute (no atmosphere), radio just sounds weird with the vision (even when timed correctly). I endure channel 7.

So Dusty isn’t a shortened version of his name? Which by the way is a valid form of nick name
I’m not sure how Pele is a shortened version of Edson Arantes do Nascimento. And I’m pretty sure Hulk isn’t short for anything.

NFL commentators absolutely used to do it (I haven’t kept up in the last couple of years) but Pacman Jones was always called Pacman not Adam. Boomer Eisison is another one from the archives.

Look, Ch7’s commentary is horrendous but to pick on them for using nicknames when virtually all sports across the world do the same is a bit disingenuous.

Changing your own name so its easier to read and pronounce is different than some commentators using nick names to identify certain players, if Dustin Martin changed his name to 'Dusty' than sure knock yourself out call him 'Dusty' as much as you like.
But I'll concede, I suppose it does happen in other sports around the world. I wish channel 7 can at least tone it down a little and try not to force feed it to us with all these silly names they come up with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't Orazio come out and state that BT has been saying his last name wrong and BT's response was oh well I'll keep saying it how I want
Yep. Sums up the level of professionalism in Channel 7 right now.

OMG he sounds like a ****** idiot.

Yep. Maybe he could do a Friday night call with Frank Walker from National Tiles. The C7 dream team.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Remember his voice break screaming 'De Goeeeeeeeeeeey!'
Was disgusting. Sucks too because James Brayshaw is so good. Wish we could just do it by himself. Don't mind if that is an unpopular opinion either.
Sorry, but I totally agree 7 generally are pathetic in the commentary area. Bruce set the tone for the last 20 years. Seriously low grade man love crap.
However, saying Brayshaw is "so good" literally mad eme throw up a little.
His shitness knows no bounds.

1. His actual voice is crap fro commentary which you could overlook unless
2. His "commentary" is solely repeating what you just saw in words a three year old might use if he was aping a very slow adult.
3. He simply raises his voice as the ball gets closer to goal, no matter who actually has possession, but reaches crescendo if someone actually touches it.
4. Every mark is almost the best ever taken, for that specific time and place on the planet, in that time zone and under those conditions.
5. He has no idea at all about any facet of the game other than that he is paid to talk about it so should at length.

That said he is better than Luke Darcy who seemingly survives on having been tall for a fairly long period in his twenties, but never achieving anything, other than being able to speak after retirement from football.

On channel 7 I think JB is the best caller, BT is 50% good and 50% annoying, Carey the best special comments and I don’t mind Richo as the boundary rider.

I would like Tim Lane recruited to 7 - I think Bruce is almost at the time he should look to retire before he goes too silly with his odd comments, been a great though.

Everyone please keep this thread going. Just post all your stuff about commentary in here and hopefully we can make this 1 billion pages long and on the first page of bigfooty for a year - and the AFL can do something about it. What happens is we normally make lots of little threads that probably get lost in the ether - but if we can keep this on the first page for a long time something might actually happen (Yeh I realised that's some starry eyed optimism).

As much as we complain about the dire state of the broadcasting, it is rigorously effective, delivering as intended. Declining ratings would only see them drive this market dilution even harder (for the deal's duration anyway).

One skim of C7 content tells you there is no hope of the AFL being a quality outlier. Even the Australian Open has left. The AFL needs a fresh start, but in the modern era I fear for the FTA maintenance across one or two broadcasting platforms.

Can they please stop Roaming Brian? Nobody but Jack Higgins wants to talk to him after a game. How about they film a few post-match interviews respectfully, with actual questions, whilst retaining the unbeaten access to recovery and the players warming down.

Also, why has Bruce completely lost his turn of phrase and just started repeating a player's name whenever they do something incredible.

"Grundy Grundy Grundddddy...Grundy? Is it Grundy? Its Grundy".

This week when Viney burst through that pack and Brayshaw took that huge mark. "Viney, Viney, Viiiiiiiiiinnneeeeeey, Brayshaw! Viney, ay?"
I know you haven't had any Friday night games recently, but it's a thing and Melbourne is gonna have to get used to it if they want to join the big boys.

Everyone please keep this thread going. Just post all your stuff about commentary in here and hopefully we can make this 1 billion pages long and on the first page of bigfooty for a year - and the AFL can do something about it. What happens is we normally make lots of little threads that probably get lost in the ether - but if we can keep this on the first page for a long time something might actually happen (Yeh I realised that's some starry eyed optimism).

As long as Ch7's ratings are good they won't bother making any changes to the commentary, they will just keep inflicting the same woeful commentators on us.

With Ch7 providing the only FTA AFL coverage their ratings will always be good regardless of the commentators, people aren't going to stop watching the prelim finals just because they can't stand BT, Bruce, Darcy or Ling, they'll still tune in in droves and Ch7 will pat their commentators on the back for doing a great job.

Caller
Anthony Hudson
Eddie Mcguire

Special comments
James Bartel
Nick Riewoldt

Boundary
Nick Dal Santo

That would be a solid commentary team
That's a nice lineup except for Eddie. Mad Collingwood president commentating on Collingwood games - not good. He tries to sound like he's not barracking and like he's interested in the opposition, but he's very transparent - it's so clear he's on the edge of his seat the whole time and wants to chuck a rant like he does when he's at the game. We need more neutrality than he can give. If he wasn't allowed to commentate on his own team, that'd be ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back