Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enhanced by the superbly developed players he inherited.

He inherited a side that wanted to redeem themselves after a poor performance in the Prelim the year before, but a side who knew how to win and that's exactly what they did and would have done with whoever was coach.

Ohh and have i told you he is not capable of developing his own side and win a flag with them?

Every side wants to redeem themselves the next year for losing. We lost because we weren’t good enough, we were in fact far far off it that year. Collingwood were 81 points in front 5 minutes into the third quarter. It was the biggest embarrassment I have ever seen for a final. They literally rested players in the third quarter it was that bad. Add onto we lost Garry ablett after this.

Chris Scott has to turn us into a premiership side in the off season and it was his premiership. Which no coach has ever done before. Go back and find anyone who has done such a thing with an ageing list.

Go back to my original post to see the players lost we have incurred in that time. Not going to repeat it for you when it’s there

Every side wants to redeem themselves the next year for losing. We lost because we weren’t good enough, we were in fact far far off it that year. Collingwood were 81 points in front 5 minutes into the third quarter. It was the biggest embarrassment I have ever seen for a final. They literally rested players in the third quarter it was that bad. Add onto we lost Garry ablett after this.

Chris Scott has to turn us into a premiership side in the off season and it was his premiership. Which no coach has ever done before. Go back and find anyone who has done such a thing with an ageing list.

Go back to my original post to see the players lost we have incurred in that time. Not going to repeat it for you when it’s there
I just gave you an example. Hawthorn knocked out in the first final in 90.
And were truly truly old and cooked.
Then a first year coach won them a flag.
What better example do you want.
Not taking away from what Scott did but fortunately in 2010 Bomber had the guts to drop Mackie and turn Lonegan into a proper defender which paid dividends the next year.
Also, fortunately Bomber decided to take Ablett out of the MF quite a bit and give others experience which would prove invaluable the next year.
Was a great effort by Scott no doubt, Pies looked to have a dynasty coming but it wasnt all doom and gloom down at the club.

BS reply.

A team that was predicted to fall into the pits of hell. A team that had just lost GAJ after being humiliated in the finals the year before. A team full of players who were happy to have a fresh voice come in and straighten them out for one more crack at the title.
So are Richmond predicted to fall into that pit this year after being embarrassed by the Pies in the Prelim like we were or is that pit only reserved for us?

I think modern coaches can be divided broadly into 2 categories
1/Consolidators.
2/Innovators
CS ( and probably most of his assistants) I believe fall into category 1.
Unfortunately recent flags have been won by teams with predominantly innovators at the helm.

Chris Scott innovated in that first year to win the flag and occasionally since to out coach for wins but I understand and agree he’s more a consolidator. Simpson though hardly changed the world to win this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Our best games have come when we play direct football. Hell, its been that way whenever we have been successful. Hence why commentators coined it "going up the highway" for Geelong teams that go straight down the middle with pace.
Kamikaze football was another term for it.

As opposed to the malthouse round the boundary line. I suspect everyone uses everything they can. Collingwood nearly won with a fast start set up this year but couldn’t maintain it and were hanging on in the end against a clearly better team. Weagles too all game to reel them back in and they’re not slouches at fast starts either.

CS wanted geel to play and setup like the weagles did this year with talls marking across half back and half fwd. But we never got the team quite to do it. Smith and Rhys have been big disappointments but if Sav can stand up then thats three talls plus abbot as back up to copy the Vardy and lycett system thats worked so well for them in the GF.

Scott has his faults, and he needs to fix a few things this year, but the "gifted premiership" argument is the biggest piece of fake news in circulation today.
It's insulting to him.
It's insulting to the administration that hired him in 2010.
It's insulting to the players, who to a man have recognised his role in their rejuvenation that year.
And most of all it's insulting to me as a supporter, who is eternally f@#*ing grateful to him for pulling off the heist of the century.

Brilliant!!

I though we would make top 8 and then bomb out like it happened.

I predict we make top 8 again next year and bomb out again, any side that has a home ground advantage like we have and playing 8-9 games is going to be very close to making the 8 every year, it's the reason we will never bottom out.

Except next year the teams we play at geel are much tougher.

I just gave you an example. Hawthorn knocked out in the first final in 90.
And were truly truly old and cooked.
Then a first year coach won them a flag.
What better example do you want.
Not taking away from what Scott did but fortunately in 2010 Bomber had the guts to drop Mackie and turn Lonegan into a proper defender which paid dividends the next year.
Also, fortunately Bomber decided to take Ablett out of the MF quite a bit and give others experience which would prove invaluable the next year.
Was a great effort by Scott no doubt, Pies looked to have a dynasty coming but it wasnt all doom and gloom down at the club.

I think most of the credit with Domsy belongs to him long before any other coaches... he set his sites on that spot in the backline as soon as it opened up and worked to make it happen. There were definitely years of good coaching for Scotty to build on though, I think that should be kind of beyond doubt.

The Heist of the Century??
Scott was certainly not gifted a Premiership,but he was handed the reigns too a very,very gifted and talented team.

Who got absolutely smashed in the last game before he took over. Absolutely and completely picked over by the end of 2010. Too old, too slow were the banners and cries from every where. CS injected youth into the team in a manner that Bomber had stopped doing.

True, but I'm not sure that we can get away with that in today's footy.
New rules notwithstanding the days of 'down the middle' are probably over.
PA tried it for a while with Hinkley and got found out.
Good teams(coaches?) seem to be able to torque their plans both during games and within the season.
Cats appear very inflexible in that area.
Essendon game a classic case in point.

Well this year we completely changed our style i think after rnd six because it wasn’t working. The reality is geel doesn’t have sufficient talent to win in sept. But then again 12 months ago that was being said of WC.

Who got absolutely smashed in the last game before he took over. Absolutely and completely picked over by the end of 2010. Too old, too slow were the banners and cries from every where. CS injected youth into the team in a manner that Bomber had stopped doing.

Even on grand final day most were predicting a Pies win, despite us already beating them twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Scott innovated in that first year to win the flag and occasionally since to out coach for wins but I understand and agree he’s more a consolidator. Simpson though hardly changed the world to win this year.
From his initial interview :
"Simpson, 37, impressed Eagles management and won his appointment with promises of innovation in the ever-changing modern AFL game ....."
I agree, didn't seem like a lot of tweaking going on game day but who knows about what happens between games and between players ears.
Maybe that is where he excelled.
Perhaps we should ask Vardy....

I think most of the credit with Domsy belongs to him long before any other coaches... he set his sites on that spot in the backline as soon as it opened up and worked to make it happen. There were definitely years of good coaching for Scotty to build on though, I think that should be kind of beyond doubt.
I agree. Massively underrated full back for mine. And tough.
Bomber had to cop a bunch of criticism that year though. Not saying he was perfect but in those 2 instances ultimately he did what was best for the team and wore it.
Mackie sooo deserved to be dropped and even his own teammates were criticizing it. Tough decision .
Made Menegola look like Lenny Hayes.

Well this year we completely changed our style i think after rnd six because it wasn’t working. The reality is geel doesn’t have sufficient talent to win in sept. But then again 12 months ago that was being said of WC.

Nah. Most were backing us. We beat by then by bloody 80 points or something.
The wheels fell off for the pies. The Buckley Malthouse thing, Shaw getting done for betting not long before the finals.
But... Even with that stuff we were the best team that year. We just were!
I remember an Adelaide game at KP playing a bunch of youngsters and we just flogged them.
Highlight for me of the CS era is that game. Once again, I've let it know I'm not a fan but he was fantastic that year.

So you are now denying that virtually every football writer wrote Geelong off at the start of the 2011 season?
Really what would they know, they've been saying we'll fall for years but they've got it wrong, unless people were able to read our predicament properly with the Ablett saga and Bomber Essendon talks which were both major distractions they had no right to write us off.

Saying the Cats weren't good enough after the fact, is just stating the obvious. The Cats weren't good enough coz Chris Scott isn't good enough, SIMPLE!
This statement doesn't make much sense but I must say it ridiculous to argue that the reason that the Cats didn't have success is coz of 'an ageing list' coz they sacrificed their picks over the past few years for the now and that was in support of Chris Scott's vision for the team's 'premiership window', so can't then try to use that in defense of him!

Not true, our team structure changed. The style never changed! Dangerfield took some time to get back to form after starting the season with an injury. Defensive stocks were slim with Taylor and Henderson injured. The win was Jack Henry finding his feet in defense and Tom Stewart evolving into an elite.

Yep. I'll admit I'm not a fan of Scott but you're so right about that first paragraph.
Yeah he had a great list, but every premiership team has had to have the cattle to win. It's the way it goes.
You've still gotta get it done. Been plenty of great teams that haven't got it done.
2008, 2010, GFC
2009 St.K FC
2011 Collingwood FC
2007 New England Patriots....

Seriously...have a look at the names that were still playing for the Cats in 2011.
An abundance of talent and willpower,its hardly surprising we performed well in that season.

Seriously...have a look at the names that were still playing for the Cats in 2011.
An abundance of talent and willpower,its hardly surprising we performed well in that season.
Essentially the same team of 2010, minus our MVP .

Not true, our team structure changed. The style never changed! Dangerfield took some time to get back to form after starting the season with an injury. Defensive stocks were slim with Taylor and Henderson injured. The win was Jack Henry finding his feet in defense and Tom Stewart evolving into an elite.

The defence worked better without hendo and taylor surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back