Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One big paragraph of tripe.
I'll just refer to a fundamental of managing a team called M-E-N-T-O-R-I-N-G, where team leaders encourage members to become leaders and take control of management duties in the absence of management. A good team should be able to lead itself! So in this environment of 'high pressure elite football' how Dave would put it, you people don't believe that an elite team would adopt these principles?!? <_<

Last edited:
You're telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about so I'm suggesting that you're looking for an excuse to suspend me, KEEP FISHING!

Ohh I would love to quote some of the above posts and make them look silly but somehow I think you guys know that the banhammer of bias is coming my way! I see how it works here and I know and you know that if I retaliate to your ridicule then your bestest buddy Dave is gonna come down on me coz that is the double standard of what happened last time when yas attacked me. LOL so much I would like to say...

I looked at your "record" and the only sanction I have given you was a Day off to cool off. You told me last time you would read the rules, and try to avoid breaking any of them...which I took on board.

I refer you to this rule....

Publicly complaining about, ranting over and criticising moderators and their actions is not accepted.

So I'm not the slightest bit interested in your victim statements. And I will refrain from infracting you for breaking the above rule because I'm just a good guy at heart.....:thumbsu::thumbsu:

But don't push it.

You have been warned.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fo...9357738ff8?sv=753d7ebb5b7a18462b8b803b7e4c497

Geelong
Gary is gone, the coach has bolted, but there're still plenty of reasons for Geelong to head into 2011 with hope in their hearts. Matthew Scarlett and Harry Taylor are rocks at the back and the midfield still has Jimmy Bartel and Joel Selwood leading the way. Not the invincibles they have been but still in the mix.
Premiership odds: $8
Value rating: 7/10 - if the old blokes are fresh they're a lock for the top four.

we were paying $8 in 2011 which was 4th favourite, hardly a longshot

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fo...9357738ff8?sv=753d7ebb5b7a18462b8b803b7e4c497

Geelong
Gary is gone, the coach has bolted, but there're still plenty of reasons for Geelong to head into 2011 with hope in their hearts. Matthew Scarlett and Harry Taylor are rocks at the back and the midfield still has Jimmy Bartel and Joel Selwood leading the way. Not the invincibles they have been but still in the mix.
Premiership odds: $8
Value rating: 7/10 - if the old blokes are fresh they're a lock for the top four.

we were paying $8 in 2011 which was 4th favourite, hardly a longshot
But hang on, I've been led to believe we were written off in 2011. Did you make this article up?

Last edited:
Exactly.
We lost in 2008 and came back and won the year after,with a fairly similar side.
According to your theory, doesn’t that mean every year the GF is won by the team that is runner up the previous year?
I’d have thought the point is, regardless of how good the list or how good a team is, no flag is easy to win, and Scott deserves credit for 2011.

Last edited:
Fact: We haven't won after a bye since 2011 and we haven't made a GF since 2011. CS has been the Coach since 2010 and won a GF with a brilliant and focused and skilled and committed team. CS has rebuilt at least twice since then and gone nowhere. IN 2011 we had more skilled assistants and
According to your theory, doesn’t that mean every year the GF is won by the team that is runner up the previous year?
I’d have thought the point is, regardless of how good the list or how good a team is, no flag is easy to win, and Scott deserves credit for 2011.
Yes he was the Coach and they did win. Lets leave it at that because his record since is abysmal- haven't won after the bye, haven't made a GF, to bowing out in the first finals game.
In 2011 he did have a champion team, one that we haven't had the luck to have since then. But he has had the chance to re-build, he has had the chance to recruit good Assistants-or has he, is that part of the problem, is it because the footy Manager has turned over, is it because the club management is obsessed with stands rather than football, is it because the top level at the club is now moribund, is it because just once in a lifetime you get the perfect storm of players- so perhaps he is coaching with one hand tied behind his back.
By the way the review conducted into Australian cricket in 2011 which the 2018 review cited as the problem was conducted by our own President.

Ok,so you must have had the Cats finishing last in 2011,i didn't.
If you can actually read,ive always given Scott kudos for steering the ship in that season.
My opinion,is that he took over a pretty handy list in that year.
Hardly a Hail Mary performance.
I never forecast doom for the Cats, that's just my hopeful nature. But plenty did.
And apologies, my response was unnecessary.
Of course the list was handy.
And I was one of those who thought losing Gaz wasn't going to be as bad as foretold.
But if Bomber had stayed, I firmly believe NO 2011 FLAG.
Thank you Mr Scott.

There is plenty of evidence even at Geelong to refute that.
Why could not the superior 08 team coach itself to a flag, ditto 2010?
It takes time to develop leadership and people learn from mistakes.

2008 Bomber Thompson made some MASSIVE mistakes in that GF!:

Mistake #1: was assuming that Buddy was a significant threat and using Scarlett on him as a lock down defender which took Scarlett's influence out of the game and played into the hand of Clarkson's plan coz Clarkson used Buddy as a decoy for that very purpose! Scarlett's influence on games was too important to waste on a forward who isn't such an accurate kick for goal! Bomber should have placed a small or mid sized defender on Buddy to run with him like what Clarkson did to Mooney coz neither of them use their height to advantage in marking contests and rely on their pace to gain separation on their opponents. Bomber should have ignored Buddy's influence and given him enough rope to hang himself! This isn't really a reflection after the fact coz I was hoping that he would do that in the lead up to the game!

Mistake #2: Putting a rookie(Stokes) on a number1 draft pick(and eventual Norm Smith Medalist: Hodge) and then verbally abusing him and thus undermining his forward's confidence on the field at the qtr time break. Clearly Stokes was out of Hodge's league and Bomber should have used Clinger to contain his influence! I was screaming out for that change from the first bounce and throughout the whole game and the very next time that the Cats played against the Hawks, Clinger was put on him and Hodge was comprehensively beaten!

2010 Something was wrong with the Cats all season long! I remember that finals game against the Pies where it appeared as though Ablett was the only player fighting for the win. My theory is that a lot of love was lost along the way from the Cats' drought breaking Flag in 2007 and the team had become complacent. I think that some egos had developed(Ablett) and had upset the harmony/balance within the team. We hear of premiership hangovers, so it prolly had a bit to do with that also?!? There was also a rumor of Bomber cheating on someone's woman within the team?!? ...or was it another player(Ottens)?!? Anyways, by the time that the Cats had made the finals, the fate of the next season had already been determined, which prolly had some influence on undermining the Cats' chances in 2010?!?

The post makes less sense than the username.
With the G being directly next to the F of the keypad, I'm assuming a drunken stupor was the sole reason for the spelling error.

My theory?....is that at the start of the 2011 season, Geelong still possesed 1 of the better lists in the AFL ,littered with stars.
The new coach came in,made the right tweaks and changes and steered the Cats too a memorable Flag.
Not that hard too grasp i wouldnt have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll just refer to a fundamental of managing a team called M-E-N-T-O-R-I-N-G, where team leaders encourage members to become leaders and take control of management duties in the absence of management. A good team should be able to lead itself! So in this environment of 'high pressure elite football' how Dave would put it, you people don't believe that an elite team would adopt these principles?!? <_<
You are right. I don't believe that.

My theory?....is that at the start of the 2011 season, Geelong still possesed 1 of the better lists in the AFL ,littered with stars.
The new coach came in,made the right tweaks and changes and steered the Cats too a memorable Flag.
Not that hard too grasp i wouldnt have thought.
Well explain to me how we lost 2008 with a superior list to 2011? ( and to a team that was inferior to pies 2011 one) If it’s that darn easy to win a flag.
Don’t mind how low your opinion is of Scott, just can’t agree that he didn’t actually have a significant hand in 2011.

Last edited:
Fact: We haven't won after a bye since 2011 and we haven't made a GF since 2011. CS has been the Coach since 2010 and won a GF with a brilliant and focused and skilled and committed team. CS has rebuilt at least twice since then and gone nowhere. IN 2011 we had more skilled assistants and

Yes he was the Coach and they did win. Lets leave it at that because his record since is abysmal- haven't won after the bye, haven't made a GF, to bowing out in the first finals game.
In 2011 he did have a champion team, one that we haven't had the luck to have since then. But he has had the chance to re-build, he has had the chance to recruit good Assistants-or has he, is that part of the problem, is it because the footy Manager has turned over, is it because the club management is obsessed with stands rather than football, is it because the top level at the club is now moribund, is it because just once in a lifetime you get the perfect storm of players- so perhaps he is coaching with one hand tied behind his back.
By the way the review conducted into Australian cricket in 2011 which the 2018 review cited as the problem was conducted by our own President.
Yep -happy to disagree. It’s been disappointing yes. Abysmal? Nope.

Well explain to me how we lost 2008 with a superior list to 2011? ( and to a team that was inferior to pies 2011 one) If it’s that darn easy to win a flag.
Don’t mind how low your opinion is of Scott, just can’t agree that he didn’t actually have a significant hand in 2011.
Errr....where i have ever said Chris Scott didnt have a significant part in 2011.?
Ive continually said he deserves praise for that season.
I was debating the strength of our 2011 list with another poster.

Must be heartwarming to feel in the majority when it comes to disliking your coach for the next 4 years.

You should know me better than that by now. I couldn't care less whether it's in a group of 1 or 10,000.

There have been increasing queries about him ever since the 2012 Elimination Final. My worries really started after the 2013 Qualifying Final, and they've only amplified since. The last three finals series have seen repeated poor performances - made even worse because posters on here have predicted them fairly accurately. The same players fail, the same coach keeps picking them, the same coach ignores the issues and doesn't acknowledge them. He and the club have completely butchered the development of the players from 2009-2013 inclusive, and the top-ups that were going to deliver a premiership have been exposed as moderate at best.

And if you think I'm going to apologise for being right about that knob, after all the s**t we've copped in the last few years you're nuts.

You should know me better than that by now. I couldn't care less whether it's in a group of 1 or 10,000.

There have been increasing queries about him ever since the 2012 Elimination Final. My worries really started after the 2013 Qualifying Final, and they've only amplified since. The last three finals series have seen repeated poor performances - made even worse because posters on here have predicted them fairly accurately. The same players fail, the same coach keeps picking them, the same coach ignores the issues and doesn't acknowledge them. He and the club have completely butchered the development of the players from 2009-2013 inclusive, and the top-ups that were going to deliver a premiership have been exposed as moderate at best.

And if you think I'm going to apologise for being right about that knob, after all the s**t we've copped in the last few years you're nuts.

So you've just sacked CS..... Which specific person are you appointing in his place?

So you've just sacked CS..... Which specific person are you appointing in his place?

Actually I haven't. But I wouldn't have extended him seeing how the finals turned out.

And if we did need to appoint a new coach, I would imagine looking for the best candidate among the current assistants - you know, the same way we got Mark Thompson and then Chris Scott.

Actually I haven't. But I wouldn't have extended him seeing how the finals turned out.

And if we did need to appoint a new coach, I would imagine looking for the best candidate among the current assistants - you know, the same way we got Mark Thompson and then Chris Scott.

It was a hypothetical scenario. ....

And I'm interested to know who you think would be the very best candidate atm?

And I'm interested to know who you think would be the very best candidate atm?
I'm sure out of all the assistants in the league (guessing around 60+?), + all current afl coaches, surely just by weight of numbers at least one of them could coach a bit.
Preferably someone who's worked and played in at least 2 successful systems.
Not that it matters for at least 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back