Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure out of all the assistants in the league (guessing around 60+?), + all current afl coaches, surely just by weight of numbers at least one of them could coach a bit.
Preferably someone who's worked and played in at least 2 successful systems.
Not that it matters for at least 4 years.

But again, who specifically?

Someone must be clearly distinguishing themselves from the others.

You should know me better than that by now. I couldn't care less whether it's in a group of 1 or 10,000.

There have been increasing queries about him ever since the 2012 Elimination Final. My worries really started after the 2013 Qualifying Final, and they've only amplified since. The last three finals series have seen repeated poor performances - made even worse because posters on here have predicted them fairly accurately. The same players fail, the same coach keeps picking them, the same coach ignores the issues and doesn't acknowledge them. He and the club have completely butchered the development of the players from 2009-2013 inclusive, and the top-ups that were going to deliver a premiership have been exposed as moderate at best.

And if you think I'm going to apologise for being right about that knob, after all the s**t we've copped in the last few years you're nuts.
THIS is where I disagree with your premise
And the Knob bit too.
Who said the top-ups were going to deliver a flag?
CS, Cook?
No. Correct. SOME supporters only.
Top-ups were to keep us afloat, competitive, because in our history since the 70's, many fans jump off when the going gets tough, threaten to , and do rescind memberships, and vehemently spend time being overly critical. And of course this is not targeting you, as I know and appreciate your relatively balanced approach.
Of course there have been queries about him since 2012, because , guess what- our depth was tested and failed. And our list has gradually been diluted of its immortals.But Cook et al know what makes a club tick and how to achieve stability and some success, but if your final arbiter is GF's or flags, then you and many supporters are going to be noisily frustrated for quite some time.
It simply is NOT our time with this list, despite best efforts to keep it looking interesting and promising.
It is hardly the fault of the coach, a front person for our club, the man who did deliver us a very unexpected flag.
He is certainly not resting on his laurels since 2012, and puts himself in the firing line week after week, and cops it well.
You have NOT come up with a better suggestion as coach if CS was to be sacked. Not your job, of course, but you et al are quite capable of firing the shots week after week.
Bomber was mentally and psychologically cooked, CS is not. Bomber was planning his exit while boycotting our MVP's progress in 2010.
There is no need to look for a replacement because those that know and run the club know what it takes, and CS has that capacity. He is still passionate, knowledgeable and respected, except by those who want or expect more from our middle of the road list.
Funny thing is, with a shred of luck and tweaking in 2019, we could still pinch a flag. Wonder how that would go down on this thread.

Last edited:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fo...9357738ff8?sv=753d7ebb5b7a18462b8b803b7e4c497

Geelong
Gary is gone, the coach has bolted, but there're still plenty of reasons for Geelong to head into 2011 with hope in their hearts. Matthew Scarlett and Harry Taylor are rocks at the back and the midfield still has Jimmy Bartel and Joel Selwood leading the way. Not the invincibles they have been but still in the mix.
Premiership odds: $8
Value rating: 7/10 - if the old blokes are fresh they're a lock for the top four.

we were paying $8 in 2011 which was 4th favourite, hardly a longshot
But hang on, I've been led to believe we were written off in 2011. Did you make this article up?
And reading that article, this writer believes it was hardly the coach who was responsible for the 07/09 flags, but an elite player list that was fired up after embarrassing seasons in 06/08.
There's another point.
Look at our current list- how many scribes believe we are in that state of excellence to go all the way, plus/minus a bit of coaching and tweaking. It's not the coach, it's the list.
Perfect. Keep CS there- he's shown he can tweak a tired list into action.

With the G being directly next to the F of the keypad, I'm assuming a drunken stupor was the sole reason for the spelling error.
So he's a 44 yo ex soldier, or still serving, loves a drink, and can't be bothered correcting his error?

You should know me better than that by now. I couldn't care less whether it's in a group of 1 or 10,000.

There have been increasing queries about him ever since the 2012 Elimination Final. My worries really started after the 2013 Qualifying Final, and they've only amplified since. The last three finals series have seen repeated poor performances - made even worse because posters on here have predicted them fairly accurately. The same players fail, the same coach keeps picking them, the same coach ignores the issues and doesn't acknowledge them. He and the club have completely butchered the development of the players from 2009-2013 inclusive, and the top-ups that were going to deliver a premiership have been exposed as moderate at best.

And if you think I'm going to apologise for being right about that knob, after all the s**t we've copped in the last few years you're nuts.
For me the Scott/Club in general saga started in 2012.
We were having real drama with 1st qrs that just kept continuing. (In years to come it would be 3rd qrs, then 1st qrs in finals).
Remember thinking this is BIZARRE! How could a coach not be able to put something in place to fix this.
Then.....at the end of that year we went and got Jarred Rivers when we didn't need him and started the era of the club turning into Flag Crack Whores desperate for another premiership.
A club that previously did everything right for years and developed all it's own players except Ottens got so desperate we would later get Mitch Clark.
Also around that time our president went overseas to watch the soccer and had a bright idea that members one day should pay without even getting to go watch the games.
It only took a few years for a club that was so desperate and grateful for members in the early 2000's to change tact and eventually even criticize their own fans on radio! after another terrible final and saying nothing about the opposing club buying up our allocated tickets.
Yeah we're not the worst club going around and yeah we've got a new stadium but it's a bit of a shame the way we've headed.

But again, who specifically?

Someone must be clearly distinguishing themselves from the others.
I wouldn't have a clue about assistants just like I didn't even know CS, Bomber or Gary Ayers were assistants before they signed with us. But they all made Grand Finals.
If it were up to me I'd get McCartney back at any cost but I know that can't and won't happen.

For me the Scott/Club in general saga started in 2012.
We were having real drama with 1st qrs that just kept continuing. (In years to come it would be 3rd qrs, then 1st qrs in finals).
Remember thinking this is BIZARRE! How could a coach not be able to put something in place to fix this.
Then.....at the end of that year we went and got Jarred Rivers when we didn't need him and started the era of the club turning into Flag Crack Whores desperate for another premiership.
A club that previously did everything right for years and developed all it's own players except Ottens got so desperate we would later get Mitch Clark.
Also around that time our president went overseas to watch the soccer and had a bright idea that members one day should pay without even getting to go watch the games.
It only took a few years for a club that was so desperate and grateful for members in the early 2000's to change tact and eventually even criticize their own fans on radio! after another terrible final and saying nothing about the opposing club buying up our allocated tickets.
Yeah we're not the worst club going around and yeah we've got a new stadium but it's a bit of a shame the way we've headed.

So tomorrow you're given the reins......

Who specifically do you replace Cook with?

Who specifically do you replace CS with?

What specific strategies do you employ to change the club's direction?

It takes time to develop leadership and people learn from mistakes.

2008 Bomber Thompson made some MASSIVE mistakes in that GF!:

Mistake #1: was assuming that Buddy was a significant threat and using Scarlett on him as a lock down defender which took Scarlett's influence out of the game and played into the hand of Clarkson's plan coz Clarkson used Buddy as a decoy for that very purpose! Scarlett's influence on games was too important to waste on a forward who isn't such an accurate kick for goal! Bomber should have placed a small or mid sized defender on Buddy to run with him like what Clarkson did to Mooney coz neither of them use their height to advantage in marking contests and rely on their pace to gain separation on their opponents. Bomber should have ignored Buddy's influence and given him enough rope to hang himself! This isn't really a reflection after the fact coz I was hoping that he would do that in the lead up to the game!

Mistake #2: Putting a rookie(Stokes) on a number1 draft pick(and eventual Norm Smith Medalist: Hodge) and then verbally abusing him and thus undermining his forward's confidence on the field at the qtr time break. Clearly Stokes was out of Hodge's league and Bomber should have used Clinger to contain his influence! I was screaming out for that change from the first bounce and throughout the whole game and the very next time that the Cats played against the Hawks, Clinger was put on him and Hodge was comprehensively beaten!

2010 Something was wrong with the Cats all season long! I remember that finals game against the Pies where it appeared as though Ablett was the only player fighting for the win. My theory is that a lot of love was lost along the way from the Cats' drought breaking Flag in 2007 and the team had become complacent. I think that some egos had developed(Ablett) and had upset the harmony/balance within the team. We hear of premiership hangovers, so it prolly had a bit to do with that also?!? There was also a rumor of Bomber cheating on someone's woman within the team?!? ...or was it another player(Ottens)?!? Anyways, by the time that the Cats had made the finals, the fate of the next season had already been determined, which prolly had some influence on undermining the Cats' chances in 2010?!?
Good points.
I thought playing Stokes in the first place was a massive error. Injured and impotent coming into and out of that GF, and it killed me to see Wojo sitting in the stands watching. Can you imagine Wojo on Hodge, or Rooke on Hodge?

KK was that player, and he was well and truly out of our team by then, but if another player, not sure.

And the Knob bit too.
Who said the top-ups wee going to deliver a flag?
Wasn't about delivering a flag, it was about seeing some real progress that justified those moves that were made! Chris Scott expressed the need for them and fully supported that direction, so to see a gradual decline in potency has to put Scott's coaching in question!
CS, Cook?
Top-ups were to keep us afloat, competitive, because in our history since the 70's, many fans jump off when the going gets tough, threaten to , and do rescind memberships, and vehemently spend time being overly critical. And of course this is not targeting you, as I know and appreciate your relatively balanced approach.
That is a ridiculous statement, if that was the case then the Cats should have opted for the rebuild but under Scott's direction they didn't, so can't then start to use that as his excuse! A team is either chasing premiership glory or stop telling the paying supporters that you are like some used car con job!
Of course there have been queries about him since 2012, because , guess what- our depth was tested and failed. And our list has gradually been diluted of its immortals. But Cook et al know what makes a club tick and how to achieve stability and some success, but if your final arbiter is GF's or flags, then you and many supporters are going to be noisily frustrated for quite some time.
It simply is NOT our time with this list, despite best efforts to keep it looking interesting and promising.
If that is the case then Scott shouldn't be talking up the team's chances every season coz you are defending his lies and you just admitted that you know that he's lying!
It is hardly the fault of the coach, a front person for our club, the man who did deliver us a very unexpected flag.
He is certainly not resting on his laurels since 2012, and puts himself in the firing line week after week, and cops it well.
You have NOT come up with a better suggestion as coach if CS was to be sacked. Not your job, of course, but you et al are quite capable of firing the shots week after week.
^This is basically just trolling!
Bomber was mentally and psychologically cooked, CS is not. Bomber was planning his exit while boycotting our MVP's progress in 2010.
There is no need to look for a replacement because those that know and run the club know what it takes, and CS has that capacity. He is still passionate, knowledgeable and respected, except by those who want or expect more from our middle of the road list.
Funny thing is, with a shred of luck and tweaking in 2019, we could still pinch a flag. Wonder how that would go down on this thread.
Sorry but these words that you regurgitated just run around in circles and don't really stand for anything!

Last edited:
So tomorrow you're given the reins......

Who specifically do you replace Cook with?

Who specifically do you replace CS with?

What specific strategies do you employ to change the club's direction?
I would not sack Cook.
I also would of let Scott see out the end of his 2019 contract and see how he goes. But I would of not resigned him this year.
1 cause he is contracted, 2 Bomber got 8 years to build a team and achieve success only fair CS gets the same.
Once again try to get McCartney back at any cost.
If not throw cash at the next best development coach in the biz.
F**k off Lappin and Lloyd and probably Knights.
Get a new head of football who's never worked with CS and who is a bit older and takes no s**t.
A new senior assistant who has preferably worked at Hawthorn and another club.
Have a serious (real) revue of the clubs medical department
Do a deal with Deakin or Gordon media section to get students to stream VFL games
Make KP cheap enough to be able to take your family as young kids can't stand in the outer and see.
Make sure there is proper public transport to Melbourne games and vice versa.
Well you asked lol. Hows that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't about delivering a flag, it was about seeing some real progress that justified those moves that were made! Chris Scott expressed the need for them and fully supported that direction, so to see a gradual decline in potency has to put Scott's coaching in question!

That is a ridiculous statement, if that was the case then the Cats should have opted for the rebuild but under Scott's direction they didn't, so catch then start to use that as his excuse! A team is either chasing premiership glory or stop telling the paying supporters that you are like some used car con job!

If that is the case then Scott shouldn't be talking up the team's chances every season coz you are defending his lies and you just admitted that you know that he's lying!

^This is basically just trolling!

Sorry but these words that you regurgitated just run around in circles and don't really stand for anything!
[/QUOTE]
Trolling- I have no need to troll on this, our board.
Rebuilding does in no way guarantee success, and in our case, we still had somewhat of a good enough core to add to. Our add-ons were the errors, not the process.
HMc, Clark massive fails.

But, Stanley, Smith, Hendo, & SS have not delivered what we may have hoped, but not really failures.
Danger & Tuohy have been good enough.
GAJ- this 2019 will be his final and hopefully fruitful year.

It is absolutely the role of the coach to appear in media circles, to support our chances. He is NEVER over the top with predictions or prognostications- in fact, he is astutely measured.

I would not sack Cook.
I also would of let Scott see out the end of his 2019 contract and see how he goes. But I would of not resigned him this year.
1 cause he is contracted, 2 Bomber got 8 years to build a team and achieve success only fair CS gets the same.
Get a new head of football who's never worked with CS and who is a bit older and takes no s**t.
Do a deal with Deakin or Gordon media section to get students to stream VFL games
Make KP cheap enough to be able to take your family as young kids can't stand in the outer and see.
Had Lloyd ever worked with CS. Gone already?
McCartney does not receive all the plaudits you may think

I would not sack Cook.

Fair enough.

Whether people agree or not, your ideas add some constructive substance to the debate.

And the Knob bit too.
Who said the top-ups were going to deliver a flag?
CS, Cook?
Of course there have been queries about him since 2012, because , guess what- our depth was tested and failed. And our list has gradually been diluted of its immortals.But Cook et al know what makes a club tick and how to achieve stability and some success, but if your final arbiter is GF's or flags, then you and many supporters are going to be noisily frustrated for quite some time.

Had Lloyd ever worked with CS. Gone already?
McCartney does not receive all the plaudits you may think
Yeah they worked together at Freo. As much as people think Lloyd is great I don't see it. Head of a football department that makes some strange decisions.
Cata-holic asked what I would do and I'm a big fan of McCartney. Can totally understand if others are not.

Last edited:
And reading that article, this writer believes it was hardly the coach who was responsible for the 07/09 flags, but an elite player list that was fired up after embarrassing seasons in 06/08.
There's another point.
Look at our current list- how many scribes believe we are in that state of excellence to go all the way, plus/minus a bit of coaching and tweaking. It's not the coach, it's the list.
Perfect. Keep CS there- he's shown he can tweak a tired list into action.

Don't care what the writer believed, the odds were what mattered. 4th favourite winning a flag is hardly a big surprise.

The coach has had the list for 8 years, he hasn't done anything drastic to turn things around. He just tweaks the list to make finals.

Just as an aside does anyone think they signed CS up when they did because there were other clubs circling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back