Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But no Ablett meant that everyone else had to work that bit harder and smarter and I seem to remember that Duncan came into his own in the 2011 finals
Remember Luke Darcy? "Duncan is struggling in this game" just after he had a hand in every single goal to get us back in the game after he came on.
What a dickhead

But no Ablett meant that everyone else had to work that bit harder and smarter and I seem to remember that Duncan came into his own in the 2011 finals
Replaced Pods off the bench, nice goal, very lucky to be a premiership player. Would not have had a game if Menzel was available. Our memories differ.

Replaced Pods off the bench, nice goal, very lucky to be a premiership player. Would not have had a game if Menzel was available. Our memories differ.
Did alright. Found Johnson out of the corner of his eye who "did the buisness",
Got it to Mackie who set up Hawkins,
Kicked a nice goal.
Obviously not the best game, but not the worst either. Was important when the game looked like it would get away from us.

You don’t replace the best player in the game by just clicking your fingers.

Idiotic comment.
Of course you don't, you say to someone like Duncan that little pr!ck went to GC chasing money and i am now asking you to step up and fill that void because i believe you got what it takes. That's how easy it is, clicking your fingers would have been harder.

Did alright. Found Johnson out of the corner of his eye who "did the buisness",
Got it to Mackie who set up Hawkins,
Kicked a nice goal.
Obviously not the best game, but not the worst either. Was important when the game looked like it would get away from us.
Pods was the worst.
Never mind.
Duncan made something of his opportunities and was a youngster.

Of course you don't, you say to someone like Duncan that little pr!ck went to GC chasing money and i am now asking you to step up and fill that void because i believe you got what it takes. That's how easy it is, clicking your fingers would have been harder.
Duncan had the opportunity to replace Menzel, which he did.

People make a big deal that Ablett our best player left and so we should be worst off but that's a misconception because we did just fine without him, Hawks did the same when they lost Buddy and Adelaide didn't seem to miss a beat when they lost Danger.

Duncan had the opportunity to replace Menzel, which he did.
Then you bring in others, i think one was Christensen and move players around to share the workload, you do whatever you have to but it's not a big deal. I bet that even you could have shuffled players around to fill the void, it's not that hard to work with what you have at your disposal.

People make a big deal that Ablett our best player left and so we should be worst off but that's a misconception because we did just fine without him, Hawks did the same when they lost Buddy and Adelaide didn't seem to miss a beat when they lost Danger.
We would have won the 2011 flag by more if Ablett had stayed. Good chance we would have won the 2013 flag too with his help and it’s possible the Freo losses would have been wins.This narrative that we were a better team without him is codswallop. He was far and away the best player in the competition for many years and undoubtably our team was a better one with him in it.

We would have won the 2011 flag by more if Ablett had stayed. Good chance we would have won the 2013 flag too with his help and it’s possible the Freo losses would have been wins.This narrative that we were a better team without him is codswallop. He was far and away the best player in the competition for many years and undoubtably our team was a better one with him in it.
Well he was there in 2010 and we lost and we'll never know how 2011 would have panned out with him in the team. It wasn't Geelong that got rid of the worm, he wanted to leave and we had to find a way to fill the void and that was done without a problem. We could also have won the 2013 flag with a different coach too and possibly beat Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is actually insane. Do you honestly believe that motivating and preparing professional athletes is that basic?

i've heard that a lot recently- Judd, GAJ, Buddy, Danger- 2 flags, a GF, and a ?
I still believe a fit GAJ would have really helped us from 2012 to 2017.

Then you bring in others, i think one was Christensen and move players around to share the workload, you do whatever you have to but it's not a big deal. I bet that even you could have shuffled players around to fill the void, it's not that hard to work with what you have at your disposal.
Which is what CS did.
So do you accept my point that our current list is eons away from that one, and that CS is doing well just to keep us up there?
You've repeatedly said the coach is irrelevant when the team is elite.
I've said our team is middle of the road.

Which is what CS did.
So do you accept my point that our current list is eons away from that one, and that CS is doing well just to keep us up there?
Stop confusing him with logic.

i've heard that a lot recently- Judd, GAJ, Buddy, Danger- 2 flags, a GF, and a ?
I still believe a fit GAJ would have really helped us from 2012 to 2017.
So many moving parts though. Does his salary mean we never get dangerfield etc. no doubt having better players helps, but the ripple his contracts would have on recruiting or even retention can never be quantified.

Which is what CS did.
Anyone could of done that.
We beat 4 of the top 8 teams including one of the grand finalists only losing to the Hawks by under 2 goals twice, Eagles by just over 2 goals over there and we didn't have a ruckman and arguably we should of beat Richmond. We also beat Port over there, lost to the Crows because we didn't tag Sloan, our biggest loss of the season was 34 points to Essendon. But then we lose games that we should have won, Sydney at home, Bulldogs after the bye.

We have a midfield good enough to challenge anyone, our backline had the least points kicked against them of any team and our forward line kicked the 4th highest amount of points out of anyone and our % of 131.6 was the 2nd best.
Do i think we're middle of the road? No faarking way, i think we are better than that, i think we are pushing for a top 4 berth along with the Eagles, Pies, Dees, and Tigers, we've got rid of some deadwood in Murdoch, Menzel, GHS, Thurlow and a few others, we get back Esava who left a big hole when he got injured, Taylor and Henderson had injury interrupted seasons, some of our kids had a taste so should be all the better for it.

The biggest downfall is our coaching, they keep doing the same stupid sh!t year in year out.

Oh ok not Adelaide for a first year coach then.
You can discount the 91 one if you want, but what sounds better?
Only coach to do it since players become 100% pro in the late 90's or one of only a very select few in over 150 years of football.
The latter sounds better to me.
Unfortunately I'm one of those people who disagree with you on Ablett.
Obviously we'd have been a better team with him there but we would of lost players.
We had many who were on less value as it was.
If you look at just the 2011 GF in isolation every player except Pods was very important.
Could of we still win losing a couple of good players and a couple of lesser likes but still had Gaz?
Personally I don't think so, and wouldn't wanna change a thing about that year.

I agree we would have lost others, maybe not 2011 but it would have happened at some point we would have as I had this discussion with someone involved with the list management down there.

The discussion of who or what was going to leave is all hypothetical and even irrelevant, as all my point is really is we were a much worse side in 2011 compared to 2010 and we improved dramatically to claim the premiership from the jaws of life. Who we lost or hypothetically would have lost doesn’t really change the fact much.

I agree they all played their role, but to simply put it, whoever played Garry ablett role in the midfield or up forward was not even 1/4th the impact and results that Garry produced. He is the GOAT. His impact whichever way you view it was massive to our team and a huge loss once he left, because nobody taking his important midfield role would be able to do even 1/4th the same impact. It was a heavy loss.

It was 100% the tactics and game plans of Chris Scott that reshuffled the side to be able to resurrect them back to the premiership. It was not individual players, as a whole our team got worse that year. Which goes with what your saying about each player having an impact, that is due to scotts tactics and coaching.

What are you talking about exactly with the whole select few? Chris Scott is one in a select few to achieve it in the entire lifespan of the AFL. If that’s what your saying then you won’t get an argument from me.

So many moving parts though. Does his salary mean we never get dangerfield etc. no doubt having better players helps, but the ripple his contracts would have on recruiting or even retention can never be quantified.
Spot on. I think all these decisions were meant to be because they happened.
Anyone could of done that.

We beat 4 of the top 8 teams including one of the grand finalists only losing to the Hawks by under 2 goals twice, Eagles by just over 2 goals over there and we didn't have a ruckman and arguably we should of beat Richmond. We also beat Port over there, lost to the Crows because we didn't tag Sloan, our biggest loss of the season was 34 points to Essendon. But then we lose games that we should have won, Sydney at home, Bulldogs after the bye.

We have a midfield good enough to challenge anyone, our backline had the least points kicked against them of any team and our forward line kicked the 4th highest amount of points out of anyone and our % of 131.6 was the 2nd best.
Do i think we're middle of the road? No faarking way, i think we are better than that, i think we are pushing for a top 4 berth along with the Eagles, Pies, Dees, and Tigers, we've got rid of some deadwood in Murdoch, Menzel, GHS, Thurlow and a few others, we get back Esava who left a big hole when he got injured, Taylor and Henderson had injury interrupted seasons, some of our kids had a taste so should be all the better for it.

The biggest downfall is our coaching, they keep doing the same stupid sh!t year in year out.
Very persuasive. I can feel myself wanting to believe all that.
But I look at our ageing MF, ageing Hawk and Taylor, and who knows which ruck stands up next year, and I think next year is it- last chance.

I agree we would have lost others, maybe not 2011 but it would have happened at some point we would have as I had this discussion with someone involved with the list management down there.

The discussion of who or what was going to leave is all hypothetical and even irrelevant, as all my point is really is we were a much worse side in 2011 compared to 2010 and we improved dramatically to claim the premiership from the jaws of life. Who we lost or hypothetically would have lost doesn’t really change the fact much.

I agree they all played their role, but to simply put it, whoever played Garry ablett role in the midfield or up forward was not even 1/4th the impact and results that Garry produced. He is the GOAT. His impact whichever way you view it was massive to our team and a huge loss once he left, because nobody taking his important midfield role would be able to do even 1/4th the same impact. It was a heavy loss.

It was 100% the tactics and game plans of Chris Scott that reshuffled the side to be able to resurrect them back to the premiership. It was not individual players, as a whole our team got worse that year. Which goes with what your saying about each player having an impact, that is due to scotts tactics and coaching.

What are you talking about exactly with the whole select few? Chris Scott is one in a select few to achieve it in the entire lifespan of the AFL. If that’s what your saying then you won’t get an argument from me.
Yeah thats what I meant agree with everything your saying. Certainly don't think we were a better team without him, just that we would of lost players.
If we could go back in time and do it again with Gaz I'm not sure I'd wanna risk it.
Everything went so perfectly that year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back