Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2018 National Draft Pick: Luke Valente [Pick #32]

Especially with the 6-6-6 centre clearances.

I rewatched a couple of the SA U18 games this weekend. Valente isn’t slow, he just isn’t fast. He looks a lot like a slightly quicker version of Mundy. Just seems to find the ball, and when he has it, you can relax because you know he’ll hit a target.

We are looking a little slow for inside/outside players. This is where SHill and (gulp) Walters are quite important. Maybe a couple of the following can develop a bit more of an inside game to help out: Langdon, Tucker, Bewley, or Carter. Actually, Crowden would be quite handy if he can build his AFL tank!

Wouldn't say SHill is quick, well he doesn't really use his pace enough to advantage.

We don't really have a team that can play chaos footy like Richmond. Seems we will have a team with great contested footy ability and strong key posts. Hate to say hit but old RTB gameplan will suit our current team profile.

Wouldn't say SHill is quick, well he doesn't really use his pace enough to advantage.

We don't really have a team that can play chaos footy like Richmond. Seems we will have a team with great contested footy ability and strong key posts. Hate to say hit but old RTB gameplan will suit our current team profile.
Interesting, because we totally suck at contested ball and will be worse without Neale. Maybe our list is better suited to the old Hawthorn game plan - conceed contested ball, win it back and maintain possession with skills. Ha! As if Ross would ever try to copy the Hawks though.

I think he slid because he's a inside mid only. There is only room for 1, or 2 at an absolute max, pure inside midfielders who can't rotate forward or back in a side because of the limitations imposed by a cap on rotations. Put another way you have to be elite to survive now in the AFL in that position if it's your only one. That's why Barlow is finished.

As each club looked at who was left and they rated him more or less equal with another player with more flexibility, they went for the flexible player.

If he turns out to be good enough to hold a place he'll be a steal, if not he'll be back in the SANFL in 4 years winning Margarey medals with regular punters wondering why he's not getting another shot.

Fyfes speed's underrated around here i rekon. The guys very quick (obviously not Langdon fast, but quick), just the role he plays minimises the exposure of his pace. Blakely seems quick too, some of his dashes out of contests make him look lightning.

From listening to Peter Bell speak today, sounds like Valente was rated in our top 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was rated in the AFLs top 20. One of the only ones undrafted still sitting in the crowd Thursday night, went back to hotel with parents to do it all again Friday.

Hope he holds that feeling to prove every one of the 17 other teams that overlooked him. Valente #29

I see him as another Brayshaw.
Going to be a good citizen, good player.
Good get at this pick.
They seem like two really good guys to build a midfield culture around. I also really like some of the articles about the character of Banfield that came out, and there is also something very positive about the stories about Bewley and Schultz. Nice core group emerging.

F***ing tiresome isn't it? He is fine on every other topic ever but just can't let this one go.
How the heck is that anything but a compliment to both boys?
Good players
Good citizens
I'm looking to move on

Underhanded at best towards Andy and you know it. If you hadn't spammed it in every thread ever, people would definitely give you the benefit of the doubt.
Damned if I do
Damned if I don't
Ok, I won't refer to that player by name if it stops the accusations

Pretty clear Valente was in serious consideration for our pick 17.

When he was still there around 30 we pounced.

We wouldn’t have pounced if we didn’t rate him as a top 20.

Says a lot about what we rated Sturt..
At our selections you can't be locked into wanting specific players, plus I think picking for "need" begins to play a greater role (although I think it always has an influence). Sturt may or may not have been the best rated player available. He may have been the player available with the greatest upside in the position of greatest need. There is a balancing act between productivity and upside. In Valente and Sturt the club seems to have catered for both.

Pretty clear Valente was in serious consideration for our pick 17.

When he was still there around 30 we pounced.

We wouldn’t have pounced if we didn’t rate him as a top 20.
I watched the draft replay and was wondering what was going on with Freo when this pick came up. They were all laughing and smiling. Such a contrast to the WC recruiters the pick before who looked stressed as.

I remember another kid that slid to us in a draft a few years ago.

That turned out pretty poorly for all involved.

Hopefully Valente slid due to other clubs making an error, not FFC making an error.

Looking forward to seeing this play out.
Pick 32 averages around 63 games.

I do think Valente dropped due to his lack speed and teams filling more pressing needs.

Melbourne and West Coast went for more outside run. Between they had 3 picks.

Back