Best home and away wins in your clubs history?

Remove this Banner Ad

2016, round 21 v GWS- chasing a top four berth against high quality opposition away and trailling all night, nic nat goals on the siren, eagles win 97-96

I remember watching this game and I literally couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I was in a pub and when a friend walked in and said hello to me, I literally couldn't even acknowledge her or even say hi as I was so fixated on what was unfolding on the TV.

That last quarter made me stop, take a deep breath and say to myself "This is why footy is so f*****g amazing!"

Round 9 2008 v Geelong - belting the suitcase out of a side that didn’t lose another home and away game all year was incredible.

Round 8 2002 v Brisbane - three point thriller at the Dome, and probably the first time people took notice of us as a serious threat.

Round 9 2005 v West Coast - Came in with half our first choice squad and with one win to our credit against the undefeated Eagles. Kicked away in the last in our best performance by far of that year.

Round 9 2015 v North Melbourne - went in to half time 39 points down on a rainy day at the MCG, right about the point our Collingwood team of the early 2010s era looked like it was about to well and truly fall off the cliff. Produced a thirteen goal to four second half and ran out 17 point winners. Jamie Elliott was huge that day,

Round 13 2005 v Sydney - our other clash against a 2005 Grand Finallist and eventual premier Sydney went down to the wire, with the Swans ultimately besting us by a point. There was outcry at the time when the timekeeper didn’t stop the clock when they should have, wasting a crucial 30 seconds that ultimately could have been the difference. The most proud I’ve been of our effort in a home and away loss, and a controversial inclusion but there wasn’t much to be happy with in a year we finished second last, yet we proved we still wanted to compete even when we should have been well and truly up against it.

I remember watching this game and I literally couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I was in a pub and when a friend walked in and said hello to me, I literally couldn't even acknowledge her or even say hi as I was so fixated on what was unfolding on the TV.

That last quarter made me stop, take a deep breath and say to myself "This is why footy is so f*****g amazing!"
It was pretty amazing at the ground as well. Furst time I ever saw our crowd at Spotless really animated.

Round 13, 2004 vs Brisbane for mine. Beating the reigning triple premiers who had smashed us both physically and on the scoreboard over the previous 10 outings with a young side was a sign of things to come.

Beating WCE in Perth in the final home and away game of the year in 1993. We dented their top 4 hopes I believe. In any case, we turned a 3qtr time deficit into a 20 point win. Ablett and Stoneham snagging 5 and 4 respectively. They got us by 8 points earlier in the year at Kardinia Park coming from 38 down in the GF rematch. ******* West Coast.

Wow that brought nack memories. I remember that KP comeback game. Trying to listen on an old radio (was nearly impossible back then to hear games from Vic on radio here in SA unless crows were playing) and I was so pissed off early. Then we slowly kept coming back and I think Clape or someone sealed it I was running round my backyard like a little maniac

2005 Round 4 : Though not an exciting or high skilled game with very little highs, it was the 4th game into Clarkson coaching career and beating Brisbane who were the pinnacle of the competition gave me so much hope leading forward as a kid, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel for the first time.
Remember this game very well. You absolutely thrashed us that day and Buddy was running around looking like the next big thing. I remember going with my Dad and on the train home he said that he thought this game was the end of our glory years, he was right.

As for favourite regular season wins.

Round 12 2013 vs Geelong @ Gabba - Miracle on Grass, they'd lost one game so far that year and we were sitting in the bottom 4. 58 points down late in the 3rd and everybody knows the rest.

Round 10 2012 vs West Coast @ Gabba - As tense a final quarter as I can remember in the regular season, we had copped some huge thrashings that year and a James Polkinghorne torp from 65 in the dying seconds got us over the line. Ridiculous finish.

Round 4 2008 vs Port @ AAMI - They battered us for the best part of 3 quarters and we were down by 47 late in the 3rd. Went in 33 down at 3 quarter time and won by 20 points in torrential rain. Daniel Bradshaw led us to one of the most underrated comebacks in the competitions history. Weirdly enough we came back from 47 down to beat Port again the following year too.

Round 14 2007 vs West Coast @ Subi - Hadn't won in 7 or 8 games and came up against the reigning premiers in the longest trip in football. We put in an outstanding performance and won by 27. We would have been paying a heap for the upset that night.

Round 15 2017 vs Essendon @ Etihad - A game more fresh in the memory that I believe was the first time our current group gained the belief and confidence that they could compete. Came from 4+ goals down in the last to win a thriller against a team that played finals. After all the horrid times under Leppa, this win was just a bit of a sign that maybe the tide was starting to turn for us under the new regime. A long way to go for us yet but this is maybe one people will look back on with importance in a few years time.

The win against Geelong at Kardinia in 2011 (Rd 21-22), when no team had gone there and won for about 4 years.

Hawthorn in Launceston in 2012, pretty much ditto

Port Adelaide at the SCG in 2014, two teams who gave everything, settled by some Buddy brilliance.

The Essendon win last year was special too, considering I was in a bar surrounded by Bombers supporters and had given up with 3 minutes to go. I went absolutely nuts when Rohan took that mark.

They would be the four best in recent memory.

Two of the best in recent history are:

Round 16, 2015
v Fremantle (in Hobart), who were two games clear on top of the ladder, with only one loss to this point of the season. They were hot favourites for the flag.
Hawthorn - 115
Fremantle - 43

Round 17, 2015
v Sydney (in Sydney), equal on points (third and fourth respectively). They had already just beaten us in Melbourne earlier in the season and were favourites in the match.
Hawthorn - 146
Sydney - 57

After those two matches it was clear that if we played our best no one could match us.

Last edited:
Wow that brought nack memories. I remember that KP comeback game. Trying to listen on an old radio (was nearly impossible back then to hear games from Vic on radio here in SA unless crows were playing) and I was so pissed off early. Then we slowly kept coming back and I think Clape or someone sealed it I was running round my backyard like a little maniac
That's hilarious, because I was running around in my back yard like a little maniac when we were winning!

2009 St Kilda vs Geelong ... the two most dominant teams of the year both with a prefect record to that point both teams at their peak going at it for 4 epic qtrs with a crunching mark by Michael Gardiner sealing the deal for the saints in the biggest home and away crowd at the dome ever ...

Robert Harveys 350th game - word is the club offered to let Harves have the week off so he could run out for 350 in front of a home crowd but Harves was having none of that.. the saints were on the downward trend the key pillars of the 2004 team were getting on and the younger leaders were not quite there the new coaches game plan was not working and we were no chance against the blue chip midfield of the WCE who were in premiership mode at subi where the WA saints members only had 150 tickets allocated to them.. the game started slow for the saints with the eagles looking to have it in control only for the saints to choke up their midfield and get on a run to run home victors out of nowhere .. the the WCE fans credit they stayed and cheered the great man off the field ..

2004 Saints vs Lions - the Brions just off winning flag #3 up against a plucky young team who were ready to make their mark .. back and forth footy all night with the lions flexing their muscles and each time the saints coming back at them ... come the dying seconds enter Troy Swartz kicking a looooong goal to seal the win for the saints

2006 Saints vs Richmond - G-Train destroys Richmond as saints whomp them by 103 points ... Gehrig kicked 10.1.61 to Richmonds 10.11.71

2005 Saints Vs Brisbane - Milne lights it up at the dome ... the Brions were done a team broken and beaten with no run left in them and the Saints had a field day with them , in part to rub some salt into them for the treatment Nick Riewold had copped from the lions earlier in the season the 139 point win the biggest in St Kilda history with Milne kicking 11 straight and Reiwoldt kick 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 3 2010... we knocked over the premiers Geelong to go 3-0 for the first time in our history..
An absolutely pulsating game, the lead changed numerous times until Paul Duffield slotted the winner late in the final quarter. The roar of the crowd when he kicked it was unbelievable. The 2010 Elimination Final against Hawthorn and the Kardinia Park Qualifying Final against Geelong in 2013 would be the the best finals games we’ve played.

When you start to reminisce about it, you realise how much joy and emotion you felt on those big days..

Last edited:
2009 St Kilda vs Geelong ... the two most dominant teams of the year both with a prefect record to that point both teams at their peak going at it for 4 epic qtrs with a crunching mark by Michael Gardiner sealing the deal for the saints in the biggest home and away crowd at the dome ever ...

Robert Harveys 350th game - word is the club offered to let Harves have the week off so he could run out for 350 in front of a home crowd but Harves was having none of that.. the saints were on the downward trend the key pillars of the 2004 team were getting on and the younger leaders were not quite there the new coaches game plan was not working and we were no chance against the blue chip midfield of the WCE who were in premiership mode at subi where the WA saints members only had 150 tickets allocated to them.. the game started slow for the saints with the eagles looking to have it in control only for the saints to choke up their midfield and get on a run to run home victors out of nowhere .. the the WCE fans credit they stayed and cheered the great man off the field ..

2004 Saints vs Lions - the Brions just off winning flag #3 up against a plucky young team who were ready to make their mark .. back and forth footy all night with the lions flexing their muscles and each time the saints coming back at them ... come the dying seconds enter Troy Swartz kicking a looooong goal to seal the win for the saints

2006 Saints vs Richmond - G-Train destroys Richmond as saints whomp them by 103 points ... Gehrig kicked 10.1.61 to Richmonds 10.11.71

2005 Saints Vs Brisbane - Milne lights it up at the dome ... the Brions were done a team broken and beaten with no run left in them and the Saints had a field day with them , in part to rub some salt into them for the treatment Nick Riewold had copped from the lions earlier in the season the 139 point win the biggest in St Kilda history with Milne kicking 11 straight and Reiwoldt kick 6

Although often put down, labelled ignorant or arrogant chardonnay swillers, we have a habit of respecting stars of the game and ensuring they are shown due respect.
I was there to see the send off for Harvey, and also for the Bulldogs 300+ duo Scott West and Rohan Smith.
Hell, we even cheered off Sheedy after his last game at Subiaco Oval.

The 2009 Round 17 point after the siren by Bartel win against Hawthorn.

After starting the season with 14 wins, we'd stumbled badly following an epic loss to St Kilda and looked set to go down against Hawthorn, with the Hawks leading by nearly five goals early in the fourth quarter. I should mention that Roughead and Franklin were being minded (and kept to one second half goal between them) by Darren Milburn and Andrew Mackie, because Harry Taylor and Matthew Scarlett had both gone down with injuries before half time.

On the surface, we didn't need to win that game, even though we seemed terribly out of form, we would have scratched enough wins together to finish top two anyway. But that last quarter comeback was a statement of intent that we were still going to be ready to give our best when it mattered. It was huge.

Another one is round 1 of 2011 against St Kilda. I think most people forget this one. First game without Ablett and a new coach and I don't think words can adequately convey how putrid we were in the first half, kicking 1.7 (the Saints weren't exactly playing champagne football themselves, managing 2.9). We'd also lost Selwood before quarter time, due to a concussion. St Kilda put on 2.2 to 0.2 to time on of the third quarter, opening up what appeared to be a match winning 20 point lead (given we'd managed 15 points in total up to the dying moments of the third quarter) before we improbably banged home three goals before the siren and then won the arm wrestle in the fourth quarter, a Jason Blake brain fade coughing up possession and allowing Mooney and Milburn to combine for the match winning goal.

We looked like a wooden spoon side for most of that game, we somehow found a way to win it and we didn't lose again until July.

Last edited:
Although often put down, labelled ignorant or arrogant chardonnay swillers, we have a habit of respecting stars of the game and ensuring they are shown due respect.
I was there to see the send off for Harvey, and also for the Bulldogs 300+ duo Scott West and Rohan Smith.
Hell, we even cheered off Sheedy after his last game at Subiaco Oval.
the issue i have had with WCE fans is usually the classless way they treat supporters of other teams more so than the way they treat the superstars of the comp (except Adam Goodes) there is a growing number of WCE fans who tend to get a little over the top once they get a few drinks in them and seem to mistake supporting their club with insulting and abusing the fans of the oppersition (not all WCE fans so dont jump me for this).. the last wce vs St Kilda game i went to at optus stadium was some of the worst behaviour ive seen at a footy match the 20 to 30 year old males in packs just wrecking the game for all (even the WCE supporters near us appologised for them) ...

The 2009 Round 17 point after the siren by Bartel win against Hawthorn.

After starting the season with 14 wins, we'd stumbled badly following an epic loss to St Kilda and looked set to go down against Hawthorn, with the Hawks leading by nearly five goals early in the fourth quarter. I should mention that Roughead and Franklin were being minded (and kept to one second half goal between them) by Darren Milburn and Andrew Mackie, because Harry Taylor and Matthew Scarlett had both gone down with injuries before half time.

On the surface, we didn't need to win that game, even though we seemed terribly out of form, we would have scratched enough wins together to finish top two anyway. But that last quarter comeback was a statement of intent that we were still going to be ready to give our best when it mattered. It was huge.

Another one is round 1 of 2011 against St Kilda. I think most people forget this one. First game without Ablett and a new coach and I don't think words can adequately convey how putrid we were in the first half, kicking 1.7 (the Saints weren't exactly playing champagne football themselves, managing 2.9). St Kilda put on 2.2 to 0.2 to time on of the third quarter, opening up what appeared to be a match winning 20 point lead (given we'd managed 15 points in total up to the dying moments of the third quarter) before we improbably banged home three goals before the siren and then won the arm wrestle in the fourth quarter, a Jason Blake brain fade coughing up possession and allowing Mooney and Milburn to combine for the match winning goal.

We looked like a wooden spoon side for most of that game, we somehow found a way to win it and we didn't lose again until July.
OMG that Jason Blake brain fart moment ..... us saints fans were furious over it ... at the time i was on another saints forum and the saints fans were calling for Blake to be delisted after that :) it started a horror start to the year for the saints who were looking a shell of the team that drew the previous years g/f... after that loss we drew with Richmond (a team who hadnt beaten us in 13 games ) then got thumped by Essendon .. we also lost to Carlton (the first time in 12 games) and coming into round 9 had only 1 win for the year ... we bounced back and made finals but we were out straight up that year

2009 Round 1 vs the Hawks and again later on when Bartel kicked the winning point.
2010 Easter Monday vs the Hawkers
2012 Hawkins goal
2014 Easter Monday vs the Hawkers:)

Going to ignore most of the 2009-2013 wins against Hawthorn as they could fill the 5. Will just say their were some insane games there.

#5 - 2004 home v Saints. Both up and coming sides (and very good). Saints had the wood on us and smashed Geelong earlier in the year after beating us in the pre season cup. Big hotly contested game in Geelong.
#4. 1995 v Bombers. Down by 5-6 goals at one point. Gradually crept back in to it before big last quarter and got the win.
#3 - 1997 v North. Big comeback against the reigning premiers.
#2 - 2007 v Tigers. Obviously was a flogging but kicked off the best period in the club's history after a poor couple of loses.
#1 - 1993 away at WC. Remarkable game and a great away win against an interstate side that completely had the wood on us most of the 90s

Nearly put 2007 at Adelaide on it. Still weren't sure about us going into it. Adelaide while not as good as previous couple of years still very honest and hard to beat especially at home.

Last edited:
Round 1, Inaugural Game.
Absolutely smashed the Hawks to the tune of 86 points!

Remember the commentators saying the Crows would be lucky to get within 10 goals!

Saints win V Geelong in Geelong when we were up and about and making the grand finals was a great win. I can't remember what year it was in though.

To be honest as a Saints fan because we are usually the underdogs we do have a heck of a lot of great wins which we should not have won.

Saints v Geelong in 2009 at home was another great win. We beat Sydney in Sydney once which was a highlight as we always struggled up there.

Beating Adelaide in the Quarter final in 2005 away from home was as another amazing win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back