Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some future midfield power in this shot Ladies and Gents.

View attachment 597637

........and if you haven't seen Walsh in operation yet the make sure you get to one of the open training sessions in January. The drool coming out of your mouth will put the average St.Bernard to shame.
Great photo...I remember having the same excitement a decade or so ago :thumbsu:

156073-carlton-stars.jpg

In the wake of Pickett long term injury, are we arguably more likely to add the 2 invitees onto list rather than leave 1 spot open for mid season draft?

We’re wanting to explore picking up the best state leaguer at the mid-season draft but no idea on how this is set up with the reverse ladder picks (end of 2018 I.e. us or if it’s as per the ‘19 season at the draft time, though no date yet published?).

We’ll need to see the prognosis of Pickett’s injury firstly, and his rehab outlook. If he’s only LTI for say 4-6months then it opens the door for Owies to be selected if in form.

We might as well pick up the 2 best players that we can now as we’ll likely have injuries by the midpoint of the year where the mid-season draft can be utilised.

Judd's career ended early due to the load he carried - cost him another 2-3 years.
I always thought it was because he did his knee at a late point in football life and chose the sensible thing of retirement at that point. Quite likely he would have played another 2-3 years otherwise. Pure bad luck. I dont know what load he was carrying other than being captain and he seemed to enjoy that role and loves a challenge.

I always thought it was because he did his knee at a late point in football life and chose the sensible thing of retirement at that point. Quite likely he would have played another 2-3 years otherwise. Pure bad luck. I dont know what load he was carrying other than being captain and he seemed to enjoy that role and loves a challenge.

I’m sure he talked about retiring early. His injury made the decision very easy.

Can a club retire a player an class it as a long term injury and replace that player? (sam Murray at the pies)?

Clem smith rule lol

Listing Gibbons is a great move not only for the AFL but also for the Norther Blues, Your team has alot of youth and development required
along with developing the kids need to see wins and this goes along way to keeping moral up and competition for spots going.

Perfect type for the blues and you just never know he could end up another Kane Lambert type and play 150 games

There's no point not picking up Gibbons.

At worst he's another Graham and gets delisted next year, at best he's the next Tim Kelly or Kane Lambert. If he lands in between there and plays a dozen half decent games he's another player to add to midfield depth in the right age bracket.

Do the right thing blues and sign him for Christmas. He'll be chomping at the bit to prove himself.

There's no point not picking up Gibbons.

At worst he's another Graham and gets delisted next year, at best he's the next Tim Kelly or Kane Lambert. If he lands in between there and plays a dozen half decent games he's another player to add to midfield depth in the right age bracket.

Do the right thing blues and sign him for Christmas. He'll be chomping at the bit to prove himself.

At worst northern blues midfield wins more battles and we get more competition for spots in seniors rather than nb forwards twiddling thumbs all day. I wanted grigg for this reason but v happy for gibbons. Weakens Williamstown too which makes me smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll be interesting to see if Pat Kerr can become a member solidify a position in the best 22 when he gets an opportunity either through form or injury to someone else.

PK1.jpg

He's not built like a kid anymore so he should be able to maintain his position against an opponent in a contest or on the lead.

PK2.jpg

It'll be interesting to see if Pat Kerr can become a member solidify a position in the best 22 when he gets an opportunity either through form or injury to someone else.

View attachment 598866

He's not built like a kid anymore so he should be able to maintain his position against an opponent in a contest or on the lead.

View attachment 598867

Are we still looking at a forward position or a rebooted defender off the open day training reports?

Thats a good point you touched on and i can take that 1 step further,If Treloar had selected to come to Richmond we would have had to of given up 2 x 1st round picks
2015 - Daniel Rioli
2016 - Dion Prestia

Prestia arriving for pick #6 enabled us to get a 2nd rounder which we used on Josh Caddy effectively but Prestia coming is why Caddy decided to come to Richmond and we got back #53 which we selected Jack Graham

Treloar v Rioli,Caddy,Graham all 3 players played in the 2017 premiership ......... Sliding Doors moment at its best
Prestia May have picked us if you didn’t have the pick or cash. Wouldn’t of made a huge difference but midfield depth the last 2-3 years would of been handy.

We’re wanting to explore picking up the best state leaguer at the mid-season draft but no idea on how this is set up with the reverse ladder picks (end of 2018 I.e. us or if it’s as per the ‘19 season at the draft time, though no date yet published?).

We’ll need to see the prognosis of Pickett’s injury firstly, and his rehab outlook. If he’s only LTI for say 4-6months then it opens the door for Owies to be selected if in form.

We might as well pick up the 2 best players that we can now as we’ll likely have injuries by the midpoint of the year where the mid-season draft can be utilised.
Pickett , doc plus another list spot gives us options to pick the 2 now and still have 1 at mid seaso.

Are we still looking at a forward position or a rebooted defender off the open day training reports?
I think they try them in all manner of positions during training, but can you see him getting a gig ahead of Weitering, Macreadie, Jones, Marchbank, Plowman, Williamson or Goddard because I can't. You'd want to have a very strong midfield to play him there, because if the ball gets kicked over his head he turns like the Queen Mary.

They also trialled Garlett down there, but the amount of broken or missed tackles sort of rules that one out.

I think they try them in all manner of positions during training, but can you see him getting a gig ahead of Weitering, Macreadie, Jones, Marchbank, Plowman, Williamson or Goddard because I can't. You'd want to have a very strong midfield to play him there, because if the ball gets kicked over his head he turns like the Queen Mary.

They also trialled Garlett down there, but the amount of broken or missed tackles sort of rules that one out.

Yep, agreed on the pecking order ahead with the defenders, not sure why he wasn’t up forward to train as a forward & also train the defenders vs a bigger forward.

Differing takes on Garlett, interesting how that pans out for the rest of the pre-season.

Wouldnt he still go onto LTI which we can use now and then delist whichever SSP isn’t performing by mid season when he returns.

Think LTI is only for replacement by a Cat B (Owies) which used to be for a MIN 8 weeks out of action.

Inactive player (assuming that’s season over for that player) would be for Doc so we only have the 1 x spare rookie spot (which was being held over for the mid-season draft) + 1 x Doc inactive replacement.

Just out of curiosity would there be any interest in Brandon Ellis as a free agent end of 2019
25 year old
181cm
82kgs
153 games

Strictly outside player looking like being replaced with other options after / during the 2019 season and dont think it would be difficult to move if the right club comes calling.

Just out of curiosity would there be any interest in Brandon Ellis as a free agent end of 2019
25 year old
181cm
82kgs
153 games

Strictly outside player looking like being replaced with other options after / during the 2019 season and dont think it would be difficult to move if the right club comes calling.

Think he would be a good addition, durable and would be current best 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back