Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Left field option - Puopolo. Clarko has shown he's prepared to cut the older blokes before they're done. Could do worse than Poppy to set a high benchmark for our small forwards.

Puopolo is utterly cooked.

We already lack pace in the forward line, and Poppy is as slow as cold treacle.

Great footy smarts though.

Can't see the need for a few of those guys, nor the want for a couple of others, but that Saints duo stand out to me.
Gresham may be too difficult to prise away, but Billings just keeps making sense. Remember that he had a pretty good game against us two years ago also. That still seems to stand for something at the CFC. :)

Just can't see us being into Kelly and a few may well have got a jump on us in attracting him now.
Don't think we really need out and out superstars, but finishing off the puzzle if quality development is finally to come about. Still not sure on that one though.

There's definitely a few tiers in that list - some would be top 10 players at our club almost instantly, others would be fighting for a starting spot from the minute they walked through the door. The cost of each varies accordingly, so needs to be considered.

I think they're all players who have some runs on the board at AFL level, fill some kind of need for us, and are both young enough to be worth investing in, and old enough that we don't have to wait for them to find their feet.

Think you're spot on with Billings and Gresham though - perfect fit for position and potential, and would likely both be conveniently valued around Adelaide's first pick if they have good years. If not, we perhaps get something else back as well. Either would give us a wonderful combination with someone like Fisher (who should play 70/30 midfield vs forward). Also have to consider that St Kilda are a slow start away from imploding, and their younger players will surely be looking at their options by Round 6.

Reckon you're exaggerating a bit there - he doesn't have his old zip, but he's agile, quick of mind, deceptively strong, and a wonderful team player. He's also a free agent, and if Hawthorn are happy for him to go he wouldn't cost much at all. Great money-ball pickup if we can't get a proven, prime age small forward and want to hit the draft for one instead.

Reckon you're exaggerating a bit there - he doesn't have his old zip, but he's agile, quick of mind, deceptively strong, and a wonderful team player. He's also a free agent, and if Hawthorn are happy for him to go he wouldn't cost much at all. Great money-ball pickup if we can't get a proven, prime age small forward and want to hit the draft for one instead.
liking both these posts says a lot about this place - I believe both of em :huh:

Target list for me:

Greenwood (Ade) Excellent player, not on needs for mine Cripps, Kennedy, Setterfield, Ed and Stocker,
Cutler (Bris) under rated, robust winger, not enough POD for mine
Phillips (Coll) most under rated player at Magpies, super important running machine, think harder Gaff, absolutely.
Martin (GC) enigmatic type who could fill a forward or rebounder role, think price per impact may be a little high, but a yes from me
Miller (GC) tough little professional, think may be over run by our kids for opportunity by 2021
Hopper (GWS) bull, more use to GWS than us with current list,
Kennedy-Harris (Mel) yeah, cheapie with claims, but kind of questionable if can't lock down a spot with Demons,
Billings (StK) on talent take every day of the week, high half forward, shocking kick for goal, application questionable reasons would be interesting to know.
Newnes (StK) solid B grader, even B+, I like but struggle to see the spot in our team,
Gresham (StK) gun small forward/mid, probably Saints most valuable, too exie for mine.
Jones (Syd) good average player lacking a bit of discipline in a side renown for it, there are better.
Dale (WB) quality player, Beveridge has thrown him around a bit, not sure
Dunkley (WB) rising star utility, hefty price tag
Hunter (WB). Bulldogs "royalty" hard to see him moving, may be a bit too outside for us.

Give me a free shot at one of them, I take Phillips. Endurance, speed, quality disposal, outside thus far, but tough and has the desire to contribute inside.

Target list for me:

Greenwood (Ade), Cutler (Bris), Phillips (Coll), Martin (GC), Miller (GC), Hopper (GWS), Kennedy-Harris (Mel), Billings (StK), Newnes (StK), Gresham (StK), Jones (Syd), Dale (WB), Dunkley (WB), Hunter (WB).

Plus whichever of the out of contract smalls at Richmond looks to be on the edge of selection (Butler, Rioli, Castagna, Bolton).

Surely gresham would be an excellent addition. The list lacks small pressure forwards and he is arguable the most elite young small forward in the league . Has significantly improved his kicking for goal. Would definitely be offering adelaides first rounder especially with him out of contract at years end.

We'd get one year out of him. Don't see any benefit in that on any level.

We've got under age options to develop, including the young mids who fall behind the pack.

These kids already have to climb over Fasolo and Bugg to get on the field.

I'd have thought that was even more blindingly obvious in light of the pick swap with Adelaide.

That remains a difficult decision to justify unless we accept that Carlton rated Stocker as a top 5 pick, which I struggle to believe.

OR..

The decision to trade in a high quality contracted player in 2019 is locked in stone. If we know that our first is going to be required for a trade, who cares if it is One, Eighteen or anything in between? In which case Stocker cost us nothing.

It would be the icing on the cake if we already had a handshake agreement with the body in question - but that may be a bit too much to assume.
They rated him top 6.

We'd get one year out of him. Don't see any benefit in that on any level.

We've got under age options to develop, including the young mids who fall behind the pack.

These kids already have to climb over Fasolo and Bugg to get on the field.

He's three years younger than Betts who is still going.

We've got some really questionable underage options as far as small forwards go.

Fasolo and Bugg are very different types of players.

I'm not saying we should make him our primary target - I'd much rather Gresham or Rioli for more money and a high draft pick - but if we can't get one of those types, then taking a proper small in the draft and grabbing Poppy for peanuts works well for me. He'd likely get a 2 year deal on a lower-than-average salary, and would give us a different type of player to work with in the forward line (selection based on form, up to him to earn it ahead of whoever else). The draftee then gets the luxury of playing more VFL time to build up their skills, and a really good role model to learn from.

He has had some pretty good games against us over the past couple of years.

If we can contain Hawthorn's small forwards this year, I reckon we're a good chance to beat them.

He has had some pretty good games against us over the past couple of years.

This does not make him Robinson Crusoe.

I can see the sense in Fasolo OR Poppy in the short term.

I see no sense at all in both. Particularly with Bugg in the picture too.

The consensus is we will have two talls and a nearly tall in the forward line now. If we don't leave some of the other spots up for grabs for the kids who deserve the shot, we may as well delist 7 or 8 promising 21 and unders now, before they have even grown up.

And I do believe that Puopolo is cooked.

He's three years younger than Betts who is still going.

We've got some really questionable underage options as far as small forwards go.

Fasolo and Bugg are very different types of players.

I'm not saying we should make him our primary target - I'd much rather Gresham or Rioli for more money and a high draft pick - but if we can't get one of those types, then taking a proper small in the draft and grabbing Poppy for peanuts works well for me. He'd likely get a 2 year deal on a lower-than-average salary, and would give us a different type of player to work with in the forward line (selection based on form, up to him to earn it ahead of whoever else). The draftee then gets the luxury of playing more VFL time to build up their skills, and a really good role model to learn from.
You've inadvertently pointed out why it's a bad idea: we already have Bugg and Fasolo. We've also got Pickett, Cuningham and Garlett, so we're not short on classic small forward and defensive forward options.

We'd want to step up another level in quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plain-Flavoured Productions Presents The Vanilla Experience

One of the reasons TerryWallet, Arr0w and myself were interested in draft prospects such as Smith, Jones and RCD was for kids who could find contested ball, but also had genuine pace. It wasn't that we didn't think Mr Vanilla didn't have pace, but rather was it enough to make a difference to a somewhat one-paced midfield containing Cripps, Kennedy & Setterfield??? Even those of you who never doubted for a second that he did might even be just a little bit surprised by what you're about to see.

V1.jpg

Walsh snaps up the loose ball and puts in a nice sidestep to get Dow slightly off balance.

V2.jpg

Dow manages to stay upright and both players plant their feet and begin to accelerate.

V3.jpg

Remember those gears I was telling you about in the Training Thread. Walsh engages jet propulsion, while Dow turns on the afterburners in pursuit.

V5.jpg

Jet propulsion starts to look more efficient than afterburners as the Vanilla one begins to edge away.

V6.jpg

Walsh starts to believe he's got Dow under control and begins to scan downfield for options.

V7.jpg

The fuel in Dow's afterburners is exhausted and just to rub salt into the wound Walsh takes a bounce while he continues to assert his authority.

V8.jpg

Dow can't make any impression on the gap even when Walsh is occupied taking a bounce which doesn't seem to slow him down at all.

V9.jpg

If you were to ask me what stands out about Walsh in this passage is his balance. It really is superb.

V10.jpg

Walsh changes direction to go around Goddard (right) while Dow looks a little bewildered in the background.

V11.jpg

Walsh begins to eye off Fisher down the ground while Dow still continues loosing ground.

..........and it continues on here

V12.jpg

Walsh picks out his target......

V13.jpg

and gets ready to deliver the ball

V14.jpg

But then catches sight of Cottrell threatening to close down his space (out of picture to the right) and decides to hang onto the ball.

V15.jpg

and puts in the big step while travelling at full speed to suddenly change direction

V16.jpg

Paddy "WOW" has been reduced to Paddy "WHO???" by this point.

V17.jpg

Walsh continues to cut inboard looking for more space.

V18.jpg

Walsh cuts across in front of Bugg and takes a second bounce.

V19.jpg

McKay comes across to take the run of both Bugg and Cottrell (out of picture)

V20.jpg

But as he re-gathers the ball as the bounce comes back him Mr Vanilla spots more trouble ahead.......

V21.jpg

It's that bloody Ed bloke again FFS!!!.................and my camera runs out of buffer at this point.

SOS has definitely acquired some Vanilla Royale here, straight off the top shelf and we'll get to enjoy watching him go around for many years in the Navy Blue.

Last edited:
Plain-Flavoured Productions Presents The Vanilla Experience

One of the reasons TerryWallet, Arr0w and myself were interested in draft prospects such as Smith, Jones and RCD was for kids who could find contested ball, but also had genuine pace. It wasn't that we didn't think Mr Vanilla didn't have pace, but rather was it enough to make a difference to a somewhat one-paced midfield containing Cripps, Kennedy & Setterfield??? Even those of you who never doubted for a second that he did might even be just a little bit surprised by what you're about to see.

While i liked the 3 players mentioned and liked them at Carlton for the reasons you mentioned, Walsh always seemed in a different league to them for me. And i said so many times(we did all tend to start repeating ourselves after a while lol). The best word i could find to describe Walsh many times was "inate". He just seemed better. Seemed in complete control of his opposition and the game.

He was No1 for me by a long way amongst the mids. The other 3 were genuine mid 1st Rd'ers but Walsh was a Top 1 or 2 in any draft. I always took Danger's comment that he was the closest to Selwood he's seen as being a comment on his talent and single mindedness and preparedness and that's what largely makes AFL stars and leaders.

We can add extra pace as we go if needed. And if Vanilla is quicker than thought as he adds AFL training to his arsenal, then all the better.

Been impressed by your openminded admiration of what you've been seeing of Walsh so far after not being totally in the "Walsh Fanboy Club lol"

While i liked the 3 players mentioned and liked them at Carlton for the reasons you mentioned, Walsh always seemed in a different league to them for me. And i said so many times(we did all tend to start repeating ourselves after a while lol). The best word i could find to describe Walsh many times was "inate". He just seemed better. Seemed in complete control of his opposition and the game.

He was No1 for me by a long way amongst the mids. The other 3 were genuine mid 1st Rd'ers but Walsh was a Top 1 or 2 in any draft. I always took Danger's comment that he was the closest to Selwood he's seen as being a comment on his talent and single mindedness and preparedness and that's what largely makes AFL stars and leaders.

We can add extra pace as we go if needed. And if Vanilla is quicker than thought as he adds AFL training to his arsenal, then all the better.

Been impressed by your openminded admiration of what you've been seeing of Walsh so far after not being totally in the "Walsh Fanboy Club lol"
Hey someone had to stop that thread becoming a 6 month long Walsh flogfest. I forgot all about the Walsh Fanboy Club. Lol.

Hey someone had to stop that thread becoming a 6 month long Walsh flogfest. I forgot all about the Walsh Fanboy Club. Lol.

Everyone wants to be the Heel commentator. It's where the fun is.

1546607364184.png

I know, i played the heel for 5 years on the ASADA Board with the EFC fish.:)

Everyone wants to be the Heel commentator. It's where the fun is.

View attachment 601462

I know, i played the heel for 5 years on the ASADA Board with the EFC fish.:)

Some of the stuff from the * faithful during that period was far more bizare than anything Bobby or Gorilla could ever come up with ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back