Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually one of the things that stood out is that Russell has many of our players on individual programs, including our first year players. Unsurprisingly, O'Dwyer is on the lightest load and looked to be just about out on his feet by the end of the session. Young Finbar will be a pretty imposing unit once he fills out that frame in a couple of years. He completed some of the 200m dashes on the opposite side of the ground to where I was, but took no part in any match practice.

View attachment 601531

By the look of him, he may well still be growing so I think they'll be pretty mindful of how far they extend him. I asked him how he'd settled in and I quote, "I've absolutely loved every single minute of it".

Walsh is Finbar's polar opposite. Walsh completed all three repeat 200m sessions in Ed's group. You of all people know Ed gives, nor asks, for any quarter in these running sessions and he's only too happy to demonstrate who's boss cocky. Let me assure you Walsh was right up Ed's clacker during these repeat sprints and did beat him on a few occasions.

View attachment 601603

Not only did he do all his running drills with/against Ed, Walsh also took part in 100% of the match drills. In other words I think Russell (in consultation with Bolts) tailors a program with regards as to where he assesses their state of readiness. However, I'm sure their loads are monitored closely in the gym, especially after debilitating back injuries to McKay, Cripps & Willo over the last 3 preseasons.

I have to give young Cottrell some credit for someone straight out of TAC Cup and didn't start preseason with the rest of the group. Completed all the repeat 200m drills although he switched down from Ed's group to Cripp's group part way through. Smart move as the 2nd group didn't quite go at the same clip as what Ed's group did. Cottrell also completed most, if not all, of the match practice drills, which a testament to the kid's endurance levels.

View attachment 601536

His body is a long way from being ready for the buffeting it would receive at AFL level and his ball-handing when trying secure it can be poor at times (like Kerridge). His disposal by foot is OK though. If the goal is to replace Docherty then they'll want someone who's got the potential to AFL ready and be used as required, which is why I think they'll go with Gibbons.

Stocker is probably a better example of your managed 1st year program. Played about 50% of the match drills, did around 50% of the repeat 200m sessions and then did laps on his own at a reasonable clip.

View attachment 601544

There seems to be a definitive effort to get as many miles into his legs as possible with aim of building his endurance to the point where he's potentially a possible Round 1 inclusion. Even if they build his tank to those levels will his footy be up to the required standard??? Dunno.....and we simply won't know until mid-March. Nice clean hands though when securing the ball and very crisp by foot in traffic.

After seeing "Mudguts" McGovern in that horrific pool photo I really wondered how he'd shape up tbh. The simple reality is that he appears to be in the best shape I've ever seen him and looks particularly light and lean. Can only help him during lift-off I reckon (got that Tony Lynn 15).

View attachment 601554

This shot was taken after he hurt his back and he didn't seem to be in any real discomfort when walking around the boundary line and kicking the ball back into his hands. I suspect this injury is a little more commonplace than we suspect and it certainly knocked the wind out of his sails when he hit the deck. Had a content smile on his face when he told me, "I'm very happy I made the move and very much enjoying life as a Bluebagger".

The Boss performed most of the repeat 200m drills on the opposite side to where I was sitting and participated in about 50% of the match drills. When he wasn't on the field during match sims he was standing off to the side waiting to be subbed in. The load he was given to complete during this session wasn't as heavy as Walsh or Stocker, but certainly well advanced on what O'Dwyer was asked to complete. Spent a bit of time matched up on McKay and did well enough to hold his own.

View attachment 601557

He's a lot more advanced in terms of his physical condition than say De Koning was when he first walked through the door. Looked a fair bit quicker and more mobile during the match drills than what I remember of him from the U18 Nationals, where he acquired a well-timed injury towards the end of the first match iirc (cough, cough).

Williamson is someone who's on a similar "track" program to Stocker. Completed all the repeat 200m drills, played about 50% of the match sims, did a few laps and then did around another ten 200m runs under the guidance of a trainer. You'd expect someone of Williamson's physical cut to be around 2 pick handles across the shoulders, but he's only one, which would suggest that they are still being extremely cautious with managing his back issues.

View attachment 601577

HIs running program seems tailored to re-establishing his endurance levels. Told me he was glad to be back on his feet running around with his team mates again. Think we've missed his zip and aggression off HB. If there's one thing I really love about Willo is that he runs in straight lines, no matter who stands between him and the ball. Will be a welcome inclusion when fit, ready and able.

I think Soapy V mentioned that Fasolo was tracking a bit behind his team mates due to his injuries. Completed most of the repeat 200m drills with the younger players on the opposite side of the ground to where I was stationed and played much of the match sims.

View attachment 601568

To me he looked heavy (as opposed to overweight) and I'm sure they'll look to strip 5kg of bulk off him between now and March. Fasolo's agility and aerial ability are two of his best weapons, but he'll need to be much lighter on his feet for those to come to the fore. The other area they'll look to improve after Xmas is his running capacity, because even Goddard exposed him in this department so building Fasolo's endurance will no doubt be a priority.

Quite liked what I saw from Nic Newman. Granted it's only training intensity, but he always put himself in the right spots, look composed with the ball in hand and always looked to move the ball forwards rather than backwards and sideways all the time. Disposal off the preferred left foot was generally accurate and had reasonable penetration.

View attachment 601597

Is quite a strong runner and completed all his running drills in Ed's group and was never far away from the front. Also participated in all of the match sims. While his form in the JLT series will provide a better guide I'd be surprised if he doesn't start in Round 1.

Setterfield seems to be progressing well. Won't join in full training until after the Xmas break. Did a few laps on his own and then some one-on-one contest training with O'Dwyer. Yes he's still got some work to do, but he looks in reasonable shape for someone who hasn't played much footy over the last 3 years.

View attachment 601606

He was often watching the match sims as he was running around the boundary and I said to him, "You'll be out there with them soon enough Will". He then looked back at me and replied in a slightly impatient tone, "Awwww........can't wait. I'm ready now". I doubt they'll hold him back, but I don't think Russell will look to over-extend him either. Given his injury history I think they'll let Setterfield's body be their guide.

I didn't see any or Kreuzer, Marchbank or Charlie Curnow out there. It's to say they weren't there, it's just that I didn't see them.

FWIW Jimmae, I don't think 1st year players have any real idea what they're in for when it comes to their first preseason. It's all new to them and they're trying to create an impression and earn respect from their peers. Second year players know exactly what they're in for and I think many of them find it a real grind to push their way through it, hence the 2nd year blues.
Much appreciated by so many of us who cannot make the open sessions. I was hanging off every word TSG. Love ya work and selfless attitude to feed the masses.

..........and it continues on here

View attachment 601496

Walsh picks out his target......

View attachment 601497

and gets ready to deliver the ball

View attachment 601498

But then catches sight of Cottrell threatening to close down his space (out of picture to the right) and decides to hang onto the ball.

View attachment 601499

and puts in the big step while travelling at full speed to suddenly change direction

View attachment 601500

Paddy "WOW" has been reduced to Paddy "WHO???" by this point.

View attachment 601501

Walsh continues to cut inboard looking for more space.

View attachment 601502

Walsh cuts across in front of Bugg and takes a second bounce.

View attachment 601503

McKay comes across to take the run of both Bugg and Cottrell (out of picture)

View attachment 601504

But as he re-gathers the ball as the bounce comes back him Mr Vanilla spots more trouble ahead.......

View attachment 601505

It's that bloody Ed bloke again FFS!!!.................and my camera runs out of buffer at this point.

SOS has definitely acquired some Vanilla Royale here, straight off the top shelf and we'll get to enjoy watching him go around for many years in the Navy Blue.

I've scanned this forum for years and this is probably my favourite post ever.

Thanks TSG. Please keep these gems coming over summer. It's all we have in the off-season!

For the record, Walsh will win the Rising Star if he stays injury free this year.

Actually one of the things that stood out is that Russell has many of our players on individual programs, including our first year players. Unsurprisingly, O'Dwyer is on the lightest load and looked to be just about out on his feet by the end of the session. Young Finbar will be a pretty imposing unit once he fills out that frame in a couple of years. He completed some of the 200m dashes on the opposite side of the ground to where I was, but took no part in any match practice.

View attachment 601531

By the look of him, he may well still be growing so I think they'll be pretty mindful of how far they extend him. I asked him how he'd settled in and I quote, "I've absolutely loved every single minute of it".

Walsh is Finbar's polar opposite. Walsh completed all three repeat 200m sessions in Ed's group. You of all people know Ed gives, nor asks, for any quarter in these running sessions and he's only too happy to demonstrate who's boss cocky. Let me assure you Walsh was right up Ed's clacker during these repeat sprints and did beat him on a few occasions.

View attachment 601603

Not only did he do all his running drills with/against Ed, Walsh also took part in 100% of the match drills. In other words I think Russell (in consultation with Bolts) tailors a program with regards as to where he assesses their state of readiness. However, I'm sure their loads are monitored closely in the gym, especially after debilitating back injuries to McKay, Cripps & Willo over the last 3 preseasons.

I have to give young Cottrell some credit for someone straight out of TAC Cup and didn't start preseason with the rest of the group. Completed all the repeat 200m drills although he switched down from Ed's group to Cripp's group part way through. Smart move as the 2nd group didn't quite go at the same clip as what Ed's group did. Cottrell also completed most, if not all, of the match practice drills, which a testament to the kid's endurance levels.

View attachment 601536

His body is a long way from being ready for the buffeting it would receive at AFL level and his ball-handing when trying secure it can be poor at times (like Kerridge). His disposal by foot is OK though. If the goal is to replace Docherty then they'll want someone who's got the potential to AFL ready and be used as required, which is why I think they'll go with Gibbons.

Stocker is probably a better example of your managed 1st year program. Played about 50% of the match drills, did around 50% of the repeat 200m sessions and then did laps on his own at a reasonable clip.

View attachment 601544

There seems to be a definitive effort to get as many miles into his legs as possible with aim of building his endurance to the point where he's potentially a possible Round 1 inclusion. Even if they build his tank to those levels will his footy be up to the required standard??? Dunno.....and we simply won't know until mid-March. Nice clean hands though when securing the ball and very crisp by foot in traffic.

After seeing "Mudguts" McGovern in that horrific pool photo I really wondered how he'd shape up tbh. The simple reality is that he appears to be in the best shape I've ever seen him and looks particularly light and lean. Can only help him during lift-off I reckon (got that Tony Lynn 15).

View attachment 601554

This shot was taken after he hurt his back and he didn't seem to be in any real discomfort when walking around the boundary line and kicking the ball back into his hands. I suspect this injury is a little more commonplace than we suspect and it certainly knocked the wind out of his sails when he hit the deck. Had a content smile on his face when he told me, "I'm very happy I made the move and very much enjoying life as a Bluebagger".

The Boss performed most of the repeat 200m drills on the opposite side to where I was sitting and participated in about 50% of the match drills. When he wasn't on the field during match sims he was standing off to the side waiting to be subbed in. The load he was given to complete during this session wasn't as heavy as Walsh or Stocker, but certainly well advanced on what O'Dwyer was asked to complete. Spent a bit of time matched up on McKay and did well enough to hold his own.

View attachment 601557

He's a lot more advanced in terms of his physical condition than say De Koning was when he first walked through the door. Looked a fair bit quicker and more mobile during the match drills than what I remember of him from the U18 Nationals, where he acquired a well-timed injury towards the end of the first match iirc (cough, cough).

Williamson is someone who's on a similar "track" program to Stocker. Completed all the repeat 200m drills, played about 50% of the match sims, did a few laps and then did around another ten 200m runs under the guidance of a trainer. You'd expect someone of Williamson's physical cut to be around 2 pick handles across the shoulders, but he's only one, which would suggest that they are still being extremely cautious with managing his back issues.

View attachment 601577

HIs running program seems tailored to re-establishing his endurance levels. Told me he was glad to be back on his feet running around with his team mates again. Think we've missed his zip and aggression off HB. If there's one thing I really love about Willo is that he runs in straight lines, no matter who stands between him and the ball. Will be a welcome inclusion when fit, ready and able.

I think Soapy V mentioned that Fasolo was tracking a bit behind his team mates due to his injuries. Completed most of the repeat 200m drills with the younger players on the opposite side of the ground to where I was stationed and played much of the match sims.

View attachment 601568

To me he looked heavy (as opposed to overweight) and I'm sure they'll look to strip 5kg of bulk off him between now and March. Fasolo's agility and aerial ability are two of his best weapons, but he'll need to be much lighter on his feet for those to come to the fore. The other area they'll look to improve after Xmas is his running capacity, because even Goddard exposed him in this department so building Fasolo's endurance will no doubt be a priority.

Quite liked what I saw from Nic Newman. Granted it's only training intensity, but he always put himself in the right spots, look composed with the ball in hand and always looked to move the ball forwards rather than backwards and sideways all the time. Disposal off the preferred left foot was generally accurate and had reasonable penetration.

View attachment 601597

Is quite a strong runner and completed all his running drills in Ed's group and was never far away from the front. Also participated in all of the match sims. While his form in the JLT series will provide a better guide I'd be surprised if he doesn't start in Round 1.

Setterfield seems to be progressing well. Won't join in full training until after the Xmas break. Did a few laps on his own and then some one-on-one contest training with O'Dwyer. Yes he's still got some work to do, but he looks in reasonable shape for someone who hasn't played much footy over the last 3 years.

View attachment 601606

He was often watching the match sims as he was running around the boundary and I said to him, "You'll be out there with them soon enough Will". He then looked back at me and replied in a slightly impatient tone, "Awwww........can't wait. I'm ready now". I doubt they'll hold him back, but I don't think Russell will look to over-extend him either. Given his injury history I think they'll let Setterfield's body be their guide.

I didn't see any or Kreuzer, Marchbank or Charlie Curnow out there. It's to say they weren't there, it's just that I didn't see them.

FWIW Jimmae, I don't think 1st year players have any real idea what they're in for when it comes to their first preseason. It's all new to them and they're trying to create an impression and earn respect from their peers. Second year players know exactly what they're in for and I think many of them find it a real grind to push their way through it, hence the 2nd year blues.
Love your work TSG. Thanks and happy new year.

View attachment 601531

View attachment 601603

View attachment 601536

View attachment 601544

View attachment 601554

View attachment 601557

View attachment 601577

View attachment 601568

View attachment 601597

View attachment 601606

Brilliant. :thumbsu:

Pretty much agree with the assessments above.

I can confirm the different training programs. Since Russell has joined they have become very individualised. Also, lots of running and a focus on core strength. Players thought they were fit, Russell didn't. You will see a much much fitter squad in 2019 and even better in 2020.

Everyone back Monday although most have been training anyway and everyone had a program for the break. I know at least one player that may have trained everyday

Last edited:
probably retrogressive and churlish now but one can't help wondering how far off the mark our previous efforts at "high performance" were - delusion seems strong in this one

Of our List it’s the players that step up that aren’t probably best 22 that will make the biggest difference. My observations

Bugg is training well and look great. IMO will play lots of games
Goddard in very good condition. Huge man
Garlett impressive focussed and very fit
Cuningham is as fit as I’ve seen. Here’s hoping he stays that way
Polson the same
Lang looks fit. Hard to get an assessment on him
Jack is as fit as I’ve ever seen. Certainly more mobile
Schumacher needs work. Carrying puppy fat?
TDK is now a man. Huge potential
Kerr is in his best condition. Lean and mobile
Phillips & Lobbe look great
LeBois still off pace. Needs to step it up
Gibbons has to be picked. Looks ready made and up to it
Macreadie looks lean and fit. Thought he may have bulked up but no
Can’t fault Casboult or Jones
BSOS young and raw but has actually looked comfortable. Has real ability
Owies. Fitness has improved a lot. Long way to go
Finbar. Looks thin and wiry. Yet to see him really kick a ball.

A good run with injury and back the Northern Blues for Top 4.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of our List it’s the players that step up that aren’t probably best 22 that will make the biggest difference. My observations

Bugg is training well and look great. IMO will play lots of games
Goddard in very good condition. Huge man
Garlett impressive focussed and very fit
Cuningham is as fit as I’ve seen. Here’s hoping he stays that way
Polson the same
Lang looks fit. Hard to get an assessment on him
Jack is as fit as I’ve ever seen. Certainly more mobile
Schumacher needs work. Carrying puppy fat?
TDK is now a man. Huge potential
Kerr is in his best condition. Lean and mobile
Phillips & Lobbe look great
LeBois still off pace. Needs to step it up
Gibbons has to be picked. Looks ready made and up to it
Macreadie looks lean and fit. Thought he may have bulked up but no
Can’t fault Casboult or Jones
BSOS young and raw but has actually looked comfortable. Has real ability
Owies. Fitness has improved a lot. Long way to go
Finbar. Looks thin and wiry. Yet to see him really kick a ball.

A good run with injury and back the Northern Blues for Top 4.

Soapie, I've been watching a few VFL replay games from last year online. I really liked some of Lebois' games before he did his shoulder.

I know you are probably the only one on here that rates him highly. What has you worried about his current state?

Soapie, I've been watching a few VFL replay games from last year online. I really liked some of Lebois' games before he did his shoulder.

I know you are probably the only one on here that rates him highly. What has you worried about his current state?

Just rejoining full training and looks timid. Hope that improves. He needs to step up and the competition is harder. Has the ability just needs get involved and like others he needs to play. He’s been close a couple of times. Fingers crossed

Just rejoining full training and looks timid. Hope that improves. He needs to step up and the competition is harder. Has the ability just needs get involved and like others he needs to play. Fingers crossed

Has genuine talent the kid. Was such a shame to see him go down with the shoulder/collarbone(?) last season.

Fill a need for us as well. Fasolo and Bugg will be handy additions as forward pressure types but he has more talent than both IMO.

Has genuine talent the kid. Was such a shame to see him go down with the shoulder/collarbone(?) last season.

Fill a need for us as well. Fasolo and Bugg will be handy additions as forward pressure types but he has more talent than both IMO.
no idea how you came to that conclusion........

The biggest flaw in FasololooloLow's game was he had a tendency to go missing when the ball was coughed up I50 …… Faz would run rings around LeBois in the Air and goal kicking so unless LeBoys ….. tackles like a demon and locks down I50 …. not sure exactly what he offers TBH.

View attachment 601531

View attachment 601603

View attachment 601536

View attachment 601544

View attachment 601554

View attachment 601557

View attachment 601577

View attachment 601568

View attachment 601597

View attachment 601606

I didn't see any or Kreuzer, Marchbank or Charlie Curnow out there. It's not to say they weren't there, it's just that I didn't see them.

Cheers of the info, it really is great reading, but AFLPA rules for first year players are very clear in that they must not complete more than 75% of pre-season workloads compared to the rest of the playing list.

While Walsh might happily participate in a session like this, I think you'll see him getting an extra rest day, a couple of reduced days, or an aspect of his program being significantly limited compared to someone like Dow. That says nothing of his preparedness, simply that he might be feeling a little lighter on his feet than those he's burning off.

I'm more interested to see how he performs comparatively in our pre-season matches. I expect him to run the games out really well, but what I will be keenly paying attention to is his ability to close other players, and generally how he fits within the structure.

Cheers of the info, it really is great reading, but AFLPA rules for first year players are very clear in that they must not complete more than 75% of pre-season workloads compared to the rest of the playing list.

While Walsh might happily participate in a session like this, I think you'll see him getting an extra rest day, a couple of reduced days, or an aspect of his program being significantly limited compared to someone like Dow. That says nothing of his preparedness, simply that he might be feeling a little lighter on his feet than those he's burning off.

I'm more interested to see how he performs comparatively in our pre-season matches. I expect him to run the games out really well, but what I will be keenly paying attention to is his ability to close other players, and generally how he fits within the structure.
I’m keen to see him attempt to break away from a stoppage as an opposition player sees a chance to nail the number 1 overall pick. I know he’s got amazing running capacity but I found it incredibly hard to judge how many gears he has. Moves so smoothly.

Wouldn’t call Pendlebury fast but he doesn’t get caught leaving a stoppage very often... if ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back