Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant convince the cultists.

Of course we'd be in a better spot if we didn't get top ups.

We'd have finished lower on the ladder but we'd have won an equal number of flags since 2011.

The kids would have a better chance at development from not being thrown in and out of the forward pocket for 2-3 years.

It's a numbers game, the more good draft picks we have the better chance we have of getting a good player.

Recruitment when you are aiming for a short term flag compared to a long term one is also different.
Cultists, hey?
That's a clever new insult.
A cult consists of deluded people with unshakeable beliefs...
Such as: "Of course we'd be in a better spot if we didn't get top ups."
And: "We'd have finished lower on the ladder but we'd have won an equal number of flags since 2011."
My only unshakeable belief is that I don't want to grovel around on the bottom of the ladder for a decade.

Be honest. Do you really think we would not better off if we drafted, played kids instead of those players.
I am staggered that anyone would really believe that?
A couple of them barely played a game.

Might as well say its not worth holding onto first rounders when you could trade them by comparing Smedts and Danger.

Drafting and trading aren't either/or choices. There isn't a bad one and a good one and both are appropriate at any stage of your list build. As with so many things, the only relevant factor is how good the execution is. We had years when guys we drafted and guys we traded were big disappointments. That doesn't vindicate supremacy of one over the other in any sense.

Might as well say its not worth holding onto first rounders when you could trade them by comparing Smedts and Danger.

Drafting and trading aren't either/or choices. There isn't a bad one and a good one and both are appropriate at any stage of your list build. As with so many things, the only relevant factor is how good the execution is. We had years when guys we drafted and guys we traded were big disappointments. That doesn't vindicate supremacy of one over the other in any sense.
Cultist!

We'd have finished lower on the ladder but we'd have won an equal number of flags since 2011.

The kids would have a better chance at development from not being thrown in and out of the forward pocket for 2-3 years.

It's a numbers game, the more good draft picks we have the better chance we have of getting a good player.

Recruitment when you are aiming for a short term flag compared to a long term one is also different.
:$

Cultists, hey?
That's a clever new insult.

A cult consists of deluded people with unshakeable beliefs...
Such as: "Of course we'd be in a better spot if we didn't get top ups."
And: "We'd have finished lower on the ladder but we'd have won an equal number of flags since 2011."
My only unshakeable belief is that I don't want to grovel around on the bottom of the ladder for a decade.

Interesting observation.

Did you think "resident foamers" was warm and complimentary by comparison? Or is it only an insult if it's directed at your side?

Interesting observation.

Did you think "resident foamers" was warm and complimentary by comparison? Or is it only an insult if it's directed at your side?
What's my side Partridge?
Do you think it wasn't meant as an insult?
I've already been called a troll by Cynical.
I'm not sure why having a different opinion about the club's recruiting methods equates to me being a troll, cultist or on somebody else's "side".

I luv this kind of guaranteed revisionist history. Its a completely unprovable statement.....but it sounds good.

Because there is the Guarantee that pick 9 that we traded for PFD would have resulted in a bona fide 250 plus game a grader that never got injured and stayed at the club and not being a ripper pick of supreme talent like Menzel that did 4 knees and never lived up to the massive potential.
Or like Cocky who has gotten started and shown glimpses of ridiculous talent and ability but not the reliability required yet.

Same goes for the rest of the traded picks.

Impossible to know - and some of them might have worked out - but to suggest we'd be in a better spot.... right up there with Sat's upcoming lotto numbers.

Go Catters

Interesting observation.

Funny... I thought we were all Geelong supporters on the same side supporting the same club.

GO Catters

Funny... I thought we were all Geelong supporters on the same side supporting the same club.

GO Catters
We're all Foamers, Cultists, and all our posts are a Pile of pish.
In all seriousness, we are all on a Geelong forum in the middle of January.
We obviously all care about the club and are a tad bored.
Doesn't really bother me TBH, but I don't really get the name calling.

I luv this kind of guaranteed revisionist history. Its a completely unprovable statement.....but it sounds good.

Because there is the Guarantee that pick 9 that we traded for PFD would have resulted in a bona fide 250 plus game a grader that never got injured and stayed at the club and not being a ripper pick of supreme talent like Menzel that did 4 knees and never lived up to the massive potential.
Or like Cocky who has gotten started and shown glimpses of ridiculous talent and ability but not the reliability required yet.

Same goes for the rest of the traded picks.

Impossible to know - and some of them might have worked out - but to suggest we'd be in a better spot.... right up there with Sat's upcoming lotto numbers.

Go Catters

we have the worst group of under 26yo players in the competition

I think having the equivalent picks for all the top ups we'd at least snag a couple of good players, we'd also have had better draft picks over the last 5 years so there is even more players

would we finish as high on the ladder this year? thats debatable but our list would be in a much better position

we certainly wouldn't be a short price for a spoon in the next 5 years

I think having the equivalent picks for all the top ups we'd at least snag a couple of good players, we'd also have had better draft picks over the last 5 years so there is even more players

would we finish as high on the ladder this year? thats debatable but our list would be in a much better position

Worst group based on what? Is there some sort of statistical analysis to support this, or is this another one of your 'realist' views?

Since when can you punt on the wooden spooner in five years time? Or is this another 'realist' view?

"I think having the equivalent picks for all the top ups "

Thats not what you said earlier. "Of course we'd be in a better spot if we didn't get top ups."

One is "I think" and the other was conclusive. So which is it?

You THINK or you KNOW?

Posts of opinion are fine - its your opinion to express - posts of opinion as fact should be called for the bullshit they are.

You might be right - Wells could have nailed every pick we traded and could have had 4 more flags by now - but you'll never know as it didnt happen and to conclusively suggest so is rubbish - and you got called on it.

GO Catters

and here you go again...

In your opinion sure... but based on what fact.
Pull the rhetoric back a few pegs and step off the cynical pulpit.
Post your thoughts by all means but posting hysterical statements as facts wont get you much further I can assure you.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst group based on what? Is there some sort of statistical analysis to support this, or is this another one of your 'realist' views?

Since when can you punt on the wooden spooner in five years time? Or is this another 'realist' view?

Based on analysing the lists.

You tell me a club with a group of 26yo and under players that are worse than ours.

Kelly is very good, Stewart is very good, I like Bews, Henry had a very good year for a youngen, Kolo ok- could be better, Savrat certainly shows potential but only played 6 games. Cocky is a massive talent for mine but yeah injuries.
Dunno how this compares to other teams.
You'd think Sydney and Hawthorn could be worse. I dunno. Norf??
I reckon Freo is worse.
In the VFL I don't see us having any more talent than the other Afl aligned sides. But not really that much less either.
Cunico looks classy in the seconds, Zuthrie can sometimes show something, Miers shows real glimpses of being a future AFL player but only glimpses, I unfortunately missed the games where Constable was killing it.

The 6-6-6 will benefit the Cats coz it'll simplify game tactics to a level that Chris Scott can comprehend imo.

The 6-6-6 will benefit the Cats coz it'll simplify game tactics to a level that Chris Scott can comprehend imo.

Don’t shoot me down but I think generally loads of ‘experts’ say that CS has one of the better tactical minds. His issues have been relations with younger players and over reliance on seniors. He sounds like his mentor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don’t shoot me down but I think generally loads of ‘experts’ say that CS has one of the better tactical minds. His issues have been relations with younger players and over reliance on seniors. He sounds like his mentor.
I disagree but knowing tactics and knowing when and how to put them into practice in real time, are different things. Scott hasn't got the nous to stay ahead of the curve!

Last edited:
For about the last five years I think it's been anything but that.
It's certainly not the place it once was,it's much more confrontational and much more aggressive,with a focus more on point scoring than fact.It has become an eat your own forum,we don't need trolls.

It's certainly not the place it once was,it's much more confrontational and much more aggressive,with a focus more on point scoring than fact.It has become an eat your own forum,we don't need trolls.
yup....
100% correct.

And thats the way people want it - you try and do something about it and get shitcanned for it. Funny huh. I guess if enough people want to do something about it they'll let us know.

GO Catters

For about the last five years I think it's been anything but that.

So we need 2 GFC pages now.

Those that support GFC and those that "support GFC". Good luck defining the difference.

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back