Game Day AFLW R1 2019 - Crows vs Dogs @Norwood (2/2/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Its season three. They still haven't come.
It depends on how you define “come”. Sure the goal kicking still sucks, but the defensive pressure has been immense. Tackling pressure tremendous. More quicker plays with handballs. Shorter kicks also improved (except that ghastly Cox kick-in directly to their main forward). Incidentally, I thought that was only a 10m kick, and should have been called play on.

Has Erin fallen off a cliff or is she easing her way into it?

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk
Something about Erin that seems to me she still isn’t quite 100%, and they’re easing her into gradual increase game time. She doesn’t seem to be as agile as she was in her 1st season.

It depends on how you define “come”. Sure the goal kicking still sucks, but the defensive pressure has been immense. Tackling pressure tremendous. More quicker plays with handballs. Shorter kicks also improved (except that ghastly Cox kick-in directly to their main forward). Incidentally, I thought that was only a 10m kick, and should have been called play on.

There's only one way to define 'have the goals come'. It doesn't involve an irrelevant ramble about other skills improving.

Its season three. They still haven't come.
I think the standard has not improved dramatically from season 1. Not sure what the coaches are teaching them? The girls must learn to use handball more effectively when in close and to break congestion. The amount of skill errors was poor but it was hot I guess.

I think if we can forget the shocking inaccuracy, it was a really good contest between 2 hungry teams.

We have a lot of new players, so it seems the inaccuracy was a by-product of the team unsure of itself when going up forward ie. not yet gel-ing in forward structures.

Eloise Jones is going to be a star but she messed up bad tonight with the miss directly in front, and the stray kick to pass to Scheer which rolled into the behinds.

We have the foundation. Just need to gel better and more composure up forward.
Why she didn’t run in and/or handball is totally beyond me. She had turned the opponent and had 5m on her.

The other thing I don’t understand is why the Crows players who can kick (Phillips, Randall, marinoff ) were consistently giving the ball to others who can’t. Rajcic’s run is excellent but she can’t kick.

Bulldogs are also much smarter at some little things; taking more time to hand the ball back to the players/umpire, questioning who’s free it was enabling them to setup their spare behind the ball.

There's only one way to define 'have the goals come'. It doesn't involve an irrelevant ramble about other skills improving.
I misunderstood the post, not seeing goals as your context. If you’re hoping to see more goals, best and wait for AFLX or AFL main season.

It’s really all about the increased pressure and building in general skills, in the first few years. Goals are more the bonus rather than the main attraction.

The skills won't improve significantly until the bulk of players have come through a proper junior program.

There are too many players who have either transferred from other sports or are getting contracts on the base of a handful of games

I misunderstood the post, not seeing goals as your context. If you’re hoping to see more goals, best and wait for AFLX or AFL main season.

It’s really all about the increased pressure and building in general skills, in the first few years. Goals are more the bonus rather than the main attraction.

If the position is 'we want a sport where there are no goals', then fair enough. They're entitled to do that.

It just doesnt meet my personal preference, and in my view is not best for the growth of the game. But I'm also not playing a huge importance on my particular views on AFL-W.

Because the lack of depth in the kicking is a significant contributor to the inability to score goals, and a smaller ground would alter that substantially.

It's a two fold issue:

1) Players have only a narrow scoring range- they can't convert set shots from 30+ with regularity.

2) Players do not have the depth of kick to get the ball to players within their kicking range. During the course of that game, how many marks taken within range?

You reduce the length of the ground, you take that away. Suddenly more possession occurs within scoring range. Would significantly increase scoring.

That's of course if you want a high scoring product. The fans of the sport might be happy with a soccer like product in which you expect 2-1 wins. I can't say I find it heaps of a draw.

In part I chose not to go today because I attended a game last year where the same thing happened- we just didnt kick any goals for the entire match. It wasnt an enjoyable enough experience for me to brave the heat and crowd today. I'll probably go to some games later in the year, but it's a downward push on enthusiasm.

Still, I'm not really who the sport is for.
They have a ladies tee for a reason.

There is no reason why women should be playing on men's size grounds. They kick half the distance of men and the product will be rekt trying to replicate the men's game. Would like the see them play on a ground around 50m less in length with 40m less width along with wider goal posts. This will drammatically improve the product.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why she didn’t run in and/or handball is totally beyond me. She had turned the opponent and had 5m on her.

The other thing I don’t understand is why the Crows players who can kick (Phillips, Randall, marinoff ) were consistently giving the ball to others who can’t. Rajcic’s run is excellent but she can’t kick.

Bulldogs are also much smarter at some little things; taking more time to hand the ball back to the players/umpire, questioning who’s free it was enabling them to setup their spare behind the ball.
EJ didn’t have a good game. She lost her composure most of the night. It will improve with experience. Already I like her better than Perkins with her marking and agility.

There is no reason why women should be playing on men's size grounds. They kick half the distance of men and the product will be rekt trying to replicate the men's game. Would like the see them play on a ground around 50m less in length with 40m less width along with wider goal posts. This will drammatically improve the product.
Would you have thought the same if accuracy occurred tonight - 11 goals 1 behinds?

Not a big fan of aflw and definitely not a fan of the comp being televised on ch7 prime time when they clearly don't deserve it.

But I wouldn't mind watching them play under aflx rules maybe even at hindmarsh

Sounds like a wicked game! I listened a bit on the radio and they were 1 man down right?
Ended up three red cards one to us two to them and a 96th minute winner for us. First time in a league history a team has come back from three down to win

Would you have thought the same if accuracy occurred tonight - 11 goals 1 behinds?

I don't think that was ever really plausible.

Despite the number of behinds, we didnt actually have that many good scoring opportunities. A lot of scrub snaps under pressure etc.

Not a big fan of aflw and definitely not a fan of the comp being televised on ch7 prime time when they clearly don't deserve it.

But I wouldn't watching them play under aflx rules maybe even at hindmarsh

What's there to deserve? They're on television because people want to watch them.

Ended up three red cards one to us two to them and a 96th minute winner for us. First time in a league history a team has come back from three down to win
That is one awesome result! Would have been an awesome watch with an unexpected outcome!

Sounds like a wicked game! I listened a bit on the radio and they were 1 man down right?
Not the right thread, go to the soccer thread was insane.
We were 3-0 down with 10 men, scored really late in the 1st half to make it 3-1.
Then they self destructed, getting 2 reds, we scored 3 more, the last with 30 seconds left in the game.

Made me think if soccer was 9 or 10 players each team rather than 11 we'd get plenty of goals.

Not the right thread, go to the soccer thread was insane.
We were 3-0 down with 10 men, scored really late in the 1st half to make it 3-1.
Then they self destructed, getting 2 reds, we scored 3 more, the last with 30 seconds left in the game.

Made me think if soccer was 9 or 10 players each team rather than 11 we'd get plenty of goals.
Thanks for the update. Now GTFO this thread! Lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back