Under 23s trial game between Port & Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox played the best worst game I've seen in a while.

Dropped a few sitters, took a few marks inside 50 that he should've turned into goals, but did ridiculous pass offs which were turned over. Then on top of that still kicked 2 goals. He also did the stupid play on out of bounds thing.

Havent read any of the reviews so will be interesting to see if my view differs from others. Didnt always have the best view so i could be off on a few things.

Overall

First qtr i thought we were well on top and shouldve been further in front. 2nd qtr was back to the way we ended 2018. Fought back well in the third and ran over the top of them in the end. Its hard to know from trials the reasons for some of these things. Did we rty different things int he second qtr, did they rest or play their established players elsewhere in the second half? who knows but at half time it was looking like a 10 goal flogging so its a good sign that we could right the ship.

Still think our skills are below average, even our best bits of play we seemed to just miss a target or a player had to wait. Tackling and defensive pressure was excellent, caused plenty of turnovers. Didnt see anything that shows our forward entries have been cleaned up. Still havent got a fwd who leads straight at the footy in the F50. Oh how i wish Schulzy was still around.

player review:

Drew: Not sure how others saw it but BOG for me. Really was a presence in the middle of the ground. Looked like he may have had a matchup with Crouch in the second half (for centre bounce anyway) and didnt take a backwards step. I'd read a few people on here saying good, things about him but i just presumed that was us talking up our own and really i thought this kid would be on the scrapheap by the end of the season so pleasantly surprised to see he will definitely be challenging for a spot in the 22 for round 1.

Marshall: Saw some good and some bad. Such a clever player knowing when to take possession or when to flick it on. Thought a few times he shouldve led at the footy and didnt. Not sure if thats instruction or just on him not understanding his craft. Feels like he has something special about him tho. Please let him get a run of games this year.

Burton: Didnt know he was playing until he kicked that nice set shot in the third. Not sure he is a lock for round 1 at this stage.

Broady: Looked fantastic in the first quarter, then i didnt notice him for 2 quarters and thought we had rested him for second half. Finished off well tho. THought his hamstrings were going to explide and his feet fall off in that sprint in the D50, but he stuck at it and put enough pressure on to not give up an easy goal. Still think he will mainly be with the Maggies this year but its good that hes back and 100%. Still think its briliant he was playing in an u23 game when looks closer to 60.

Frampton: Solid enough, didnt dominate by any stretch but from what i understand they expect their ruckman to challenge or replace sauce this year. Thoguht Billy shaded him, but still not enough to warrant a spot in the 22.

Ladhmans: similar to frampton but not as much influence around the ground.

Amon: Meh. wasnt awful, but didnt standout either. AS an experienced player needed to really make a mark on the game but was just average. Would be shocked if he plays another AFL game for us.

Farrell: Another who i thought was just average.

Patmore: Liked his game, has a bit of size about him and there were a few contests he either halved or won when he was not in the best position.

Butters: The pick of the first rounders for me. Not alot of him but he really has a presence in the contest and is really physical. Also looks a smooth mover and wouldnt be shocked if he is playing rd1.

Duursma: Was BOG in the first 10 mins, unfortunately had a moment soon after that cost a goal and then went out the game a bit. Still like the size of him and certainly showed enough that he will be pushing for games this year.

Rozee: Not the greatest of games. Certainly showed a few glimpses and i think ended up with 2 goals but they were close to Joe the gooses. Playing that HF role i think we will see some inconsistency from him as its not an easy position to dominate week in week out.

S Gray: As much as he's a whipping boy i thought he was very good today. Its just frustrating that he cant kick over 25m because he can find the pill at will when he is given a run up the ground.

Doogs: Very solid. Really hope this is the year he takes the next step.

Bonner: Badly burnt a teammate and was caught HTB in the opening 30 seconds and i thought he had started this year like he ended last season. But after that i couldnt really fault his game at all. Need him to really be a solid contributor this year as we dont have many players with his skillset. Good start to 2019 for him (he also had an electric start to last year so hopefully he gets some consistency).

Mckenzie: Unfortunately went off with what looked like concussion. Prior to that tho i thought he looked completely out of his depth. Shame as his kick ins would be a huge weapon under these new rules but he wont be playing AFL again i dont think.

Big Bird: Must admit i didnt notice him at all. Will be interested to read how others saw his game.

no.47: Might have been Tobin Cox? Anyway looked a surprising type up forward. SEemed to lead at the footy a bit which as i said is a rarity in our forward line. For some reason passed it off when 35m out directly in front which turned it over, even more perplexing when the next quarter he dobbed one frmo near 50 into the wind. Will be interesting to see how he progresses this season because as i said he seems to lead at the footy which not many of our players seem to do.

Other notes:

That Hayes has some height. Clearly stood over Lycett, Brogan etc when the rucks got together in the huddle. REally hope he can get on the park in the second half of the year and get some footy into him.

Never really noticed how tall Hoff is. Appeared to be the same height as Lycett when they were standing next to each other.

Hammer was wearing that famous Port cap.

Didnt really notice the new rules that much, other then it looks a bit strange when the guy kicking out just takes off. Overall thought today was a good hitout, some good passages of play, some bad ones as well, a willing contest and to be honest if our senior side can give that sort of effort I will be reasonably content.

I sat with Boak for the game and he gave some interesting insights to the players.

It was funny to hear him moan when Amon stuffed up.

He says Drew has impressed everyone and joked that he's pushing "more experienced" players out.

We spoke a lot about the 3 new guns and he claims Duursma will be the best of the 3.

Not sure if I’m happy with Duursma being the best. Does that mean Rozee and Butters are mid first round talents or Duursma is high first round?

Good we can hold the melts for a while was looking a worry for a while .
Bit hard to judge because team balance would’ve been tricky .
Thought Pudney and Frederick looked a bit under weight but that’s only natural with their age , both we’re having a crack , the Crows ruck and midfield were a bit stronger body wise but we probably had the better of play outside the arcs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Havent read any of the reviews so will be interesting to see if my view differs from others. Didnt always have the best view so i could be off on a few things.

Overall

First qtr i thought we were well on top and shouldve been further in front. 2nd qtr was back to the way we ended 2018. Fought back well in the third and ran over the top of them in the end. Its hard to know from trials the reasons for some of these things. Did we rty different things int he second qtr, did they rest or play their established players elsewhere in the second half? who knows but at half time it was looking like a 10 goal flogging so its a good sign that we could right the ship.

Still think our skills are below average, even our best bits of play we seemed to just miss a target or a player had to wait. Tackling and defensive pressure was excellent, caused plenty of turnovers. Didnt see anything that shows our forward entries have been cleaned up. Still havent got a fwd who leads straight at the footy in the F50. Oh how i wish Schulzy was still around.

player review:

Drew: Not sure how others saw it but BOG for me. Really was a presence in the middle of the ground. Looked like he may have had a matchup with Crouch in the second half (for centre bounce anyway) and didnt take a backwards step. I'd read a few people on here saying good, things about him but i just presumed that was us talking up our own and really i thought this kid would be on the scrapheap by the end of the season so pleasantly surprised to see he will definitely be challenging for a spot in the 22 for round 1.

Marshall: Saw some good and some bad. Such a clever player knowing when to take possession or when to flick it on. Thought a few times he shouldve led at the footy and didnt. Not sure if thats instruction or just on him not understanding his craft. Feels like he has something special about him tho. Please let him get a run of games this year.

Burton: Didnt know he was playing until he kicked that nice set shot in the third. Not sure he is a lock for round 1 at this stage.

Broady: Looked fantastic in the first quarter, then i didnt notice him for 2 quarters and thought we had rested him for second half. Finished off well tho. THought his hamstrings were going to explide and his feet fall off in that sprint in the D50, but he stuck at it and put enough pressure on to not give up an easy goal. Still think he will mainly be with the Maggies this year but its good that hes back and 100%. Still think its briliant he was playing in an u23 game when looks closer to 60.

Frampton: Solid enough, didnt dominate by any stretch but from what i understand they expect their ruckman to challenge or replace sauce this year. Thoguht Billy shaded him, but still not enough to warrant a spot in the 22.

Ladhmans: similar to frampton but not as much influence around the ground.

Amon: Meh. wasnt awful, but didnt standout either. AS an experienced player needed to really make a mark on the game but was just average. Would be shocked if he plays another AFL game for us.

Farrell: Another who i thought was just average.

Patmore: Liked his game, has a bit of size about him and there were a few contests he either halved or won when he was not in the best position.

Butters: The pick of the first rounders for me. Not alot of him but he really has a presence in the contest and is really physical. Also looks a smooth mover and wouldnt be shocked if he is playing rd1.

Duursma: Was BOG in the first 10 mins, unfortunately had a moment soon after that cost a goal and then went out the game a bit. Still like the size of him and certainly showed enough that he will be pushing for games this year.

Rozee: Not the greatest of games. Certainly showed a few glimpses and i think ended up with 2 goals but they were close to Joe the gooses. Playing that HF role i think we will see some inconsistency from him as its not an easy position to dominate week in week out.

S Gray: As much as he's a whipping boy i thought he was very good today. Its just frustrating that he cant kick over 25m because he can find the pill at will when he is given a run up the ground.

Doogs: Very solid. Really hope this is the year he takes the next step.

Bonner: Badly burnt a teammate and was caught HTB in the opening 30 seconds and i thought he had started this year like he ended last season. But after that i couldnt really fault his game at all. Need him to really be a solid contributor this year as we dont have many players with his skillset. Good start to 2019 for him (he also had an electric start to last year so hopefully he gets some consistency).

Mckenzie: Unfortunately went off with what looked like concussion. Prior to that tho i thought he looked completely out of his depth. Shame as his kick ins would be a huge weapon under these new rules but he wont be playing AFL again i dont think.

Big Bird: Must admit i didnt notice him at all. Will be interested to read how others saw his game.

no.47: Might have been Tobin Cox? Anyway looked a surprising type up forward. SEemed to lead at the footy a bit which as i said is a rarity in our forward line. For some reason passed it off when 35m out directly in front which turned it over, even more perplexing when the next quarter he dobbed one frmo near 50 into the wind. Will be interesting to see how he progresses this season because as i said he seems to lead at the footy which not many of our players seem to do.

Other notes:

That Hayes has some height. Clearly stood over Lycett, Brogan etc when the rucks got together in the huddle. REally hope he can get on the park in the second half of the year and get some footy into him.

Never really noticed how tall Hoff is. Appeared to be the same height as Lycett when they were standing next to each other.

Hammer was wearing that famous Port cap.

Didnt really notice the new rules that much, other then it looks a bit strange when the guy kicking out just takes off. Overall thought today was a good hitout, some good passages of play, some bad ones as well, a willing contest and to be honest if our senior side can give that sort of effort I will be reasonably content.
Good effort you might change your mind on a few things watching the stream replay apparently on our website soon

Not sure if I’m happy with Duursma being the best. Does that mean Rozee and Butters are mid first round talents or Duursma is high first round?
He was very impressed with Rozee and Butters but said Duursma was a real surprise and has come along incredibly well. I think Duursma will fill a more immediate gap with Polec leaving.

We had a laugh after Butters ran into the open goal and paused. Boak said he is such a smartarse.

One other thing as well is being pulled up for complaining about us stalling at the end of the game. I whinged quite a lot about the side and backwards play and Boak explained to Hayes and myself that the team ate 4 minutes off the clock and it was the right thing to do, even if it doesn't necessarily look the best.

He says Hayes will be back mid season. Also, Houston's finger was quite heavily strapped. He was a real quiet and polite kid. I was really impressed with how humble he is.

FWIW, I thought Cox had a good game when he wasn't following dumb as s**t "im in range but my coaches want me to hit up a closer target" decisions.

The less of that crap, the better he will be.
Could have had 4 goals if not for those dumb decisions. Small forwards need to be hungry, selfish little *ers to be successful. So if you mark the ball inside 50 back yourself young Tobin or you may not last long

So any update with injuries? I saw McKenzie went off, Rozee copped a hit to his shoulder but was fine I think, Duursma got straight back up after a big bump.

Anything else?

Bonner struggled with his foot for about 10-15 minutes but came good. Had his boot off and was assessed and did some run throughs before going back on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back