Free Agency Ricky Henderson [joined Hawthorn as a delisted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

He's always been talked about as being a decent ball-user, though it appears many Crows fans seem to disagree

He's not a bad ball user, and can provide good run and carry. The issue most Crows fans have with him, is that he's cringe-inducingly soft. Typical former basketballer who we hoped would learn to handle contact, but at 28 year old it appears we have given up on him learning.

It's not just about adding a body. It's about adding a player who fills (or at least notionally fills) a specific need within the team. Henderson is a completely different player to Barrett, and certainly different to Spangher as someone else mentioned. The coaching staff obviously feel Henderson can add something specific, likely run and carry. He's always been talked about as being a decent ball-user, though it appears many Crows fans seem to disagree
Not 100% sure if the Henderson move is confirmed?

Seems like the spot he would take on the list should be given to howe at half back

Not 100% sure if the Henderson move is confirmed?

Seems like the spot he would take on the list should be given to howe at half back
I'm not sure why he would need to take someone's spot on the list. We have several spots that remain unfilled. Can have both Howe and Henderson can't we?
There will be several spots in the starting 22 available. Form will determine who gets them. Nobody, certainly not Howe, is entitled, or should be given a spot.

Good get if true:
  • we need a right footed outside player to replace Hill.
  • we need an attacking HBF to take pressure of Gibson and Birchall
  • we need taller depth through the Fwd line.
Don't know why the Crows delisted him, sounds like the ultimate swingman.

Ricky Henderson has good talent, i like his aerial skills and his one-on-one skills, also can use the ball well and has the physique of Gibson/Birchall

he will make good depth or even might start on wing/hbf/hff

I'm not sure why he would need to take someone's spot on the list. We have several spots that remain unfilled. Can have both Howe and Henderson can't we?
There will be several spots in the starting 22 available. Form will determine who gets them. Nobody, certainly not Howe, is entitled, or should be given a spot.
Hoping the move is not confirmed, doesn't make sense to me. There is a definite hierarchy for the 'available' spots in our best 22.

Burton, Brand and Whitecross are starters in defence to me, last year's form and their ages demand it - Howe is next in line. I don't see room to give games to a player who won't be around long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to get Henderson. Adds depth to several areas which Clarko likes and seems a real role-player(which clarko likes). Has some pace, can help out in defence because of his height. i'd be happy to get him

How much do you think we'd pay him though?

It's not just about adding a body. It's about adding a player who fills (or at least notionally fills) a specific need within the team. Henderson is a completely different player to Barrett, and certainly different to Spangher as someone else mentioned. The coaching staff obviously feel Henderson can add something specific, likely run and carry. He's always been talked about as being a decent ball-user, though it appears many Crows fans seem to disagree
Henderson is a good ball user, he takes the hard options often which don't always come off and when they don't the haters jump all over it. He frustrates supporters because he is one of those players who has all of the attributes that make a good player but he has never been able put them all together consistently. His greatest weaknesses are his vulnerability in one-on-one ground contests and he is an extremely outside player. In saying that he has good height and speed, is a quality contested mark, is an accurate 55m kick and is a very good decision maker who doesn't get flustered under pressure.

I personally would use him at half forward where he can work up the ground and then lead his opponent back to goal. This utilises his strengths the best and limits his weaknesses. He has played predominantly at half back this year and wing with some time at half forward in 2015. When he plays at half back he tends to fall into the trap of playing a quarterback role where he gets fed a handball out the back of a contest and then kicks up field all while basically standing still. When at half back you rarely see any run and carry from him which he is more than capable of but is more a feature when he plays on the wing or at half forward.

He would be a good pick up for Hawthorn and at 28 years old could likely be frustrating supporters for another 3 or 4 years although his durability over his career has not been good - he has had ongoing back issues over the last few years.

I would've preferred a younger player, Welcome to the Hawks Ricky.
Depth player is where I see him as insurance for injuries but rather get games into the younger guys.
I'll keep and open mind until I see how he gels with the team and see what happens.
As crows fans say - play him at half forward, however, he may get some time on a wing or half back which is a worry.

He's not a bad ball user, and can provide good run and carry. The issue most Crows fans have with him, is that he's cringe-inducingly soft. Typical former basketballer who we hoped would learn to handle contact, but at 28 year old it appears we have given up on him learning.

Couldn't possibly be any worse than Brad Hill, on that score.

I still can’t believe that Adelaide kept David Mackay and got rid of Henderson who’s a much better player in nearly every single statistical category.
One thing you can rarely knock Adelaide on is their drafting and recruiting but they got this one wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back