List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not confident at all of either to be honest, reckon the club will go hard after both but believe the following will occur:
  • Geelong go stupid again on the asking price for Kelly and Fremantle gladly wedge us over it - 30% chance of getting him.
  • Coniglio receives offers from other clubs well above what we can do. GWS matches and trades Patton to Hawthorn in order to free up the necessary cap space. Less than 5% chance of getting him even if he nominates us - we'd probably have to trade this year's and next year's first rounders as a starting point.

Coniglio will be a matter of choice. GWS will afford him if he stays or let him go fairly painlessly.

Geelong and Kelly who knows. Generally speaking their fans are complete numpties but the club is pretty reasonable. Last year they weren't but we've never seen a 24 year old first year player do well and request a trade.

We swapped 2019 4th Round picks with the Saints in the Hickey trade - still retain a pick in that round.

We currently have x1 1st, x2 2nd and x1 4th, which [as of Round 4 positions] provides us with picks 16, 22, 34 & 68.
I see the details of the Hickey trade included swaps. It's just funny that on the 2019 AFL Draft list in Wikipedia (not always 100% I know) the us to them is still live but the them to us one isn't. How Wiki describes it is...
Our original pick -
From West Coast To St Kilda Reason Tom Hickey trade
Their original pick -
From St Kilda To Gold Coast via West Coast (Tom Hickey trade)
On-traded to Gold Coast (Pick swap at the 2018 National Draft)

This suggests we on traded the 4th rounder we got from the Hickey trade and it now lives with GCS.

I see the details of the Hickey trade included swaps. It's just funny that on the 2019 AFL Draft list in Wikipedia (not always 100% I know) the us to them is still live but the them to us one isn't. How Wiki describes it is...
Our original pick -
From West Coast To St Kilda Reason Tom Hickey trade
Their original pick -
From St Kilda To Gold Coast via West Coast (Tom Hickey trade)
On-traded to Gold Coast (Pick swap at the 2018 National Draft)

This suggests we on traded the 4th rounder we got from the Hickey trade and it now lives with GCS.

Wiki for a long time incorrectly stated that we on-traded a 4th Round pick to Gold Coast as part of the 23 for 27 & 32 deal, when it is actually our 5th Rounder that was involved and we still retain the 4th Round pick in 2019.

The error arises from @AFLDraft on Twitter being incompetent and posting incorrect information: Link

AFL Draft Tracker correctly describes that it is the 5th Rounder that goes to Gold Coast.

I thought that it had been corrected by now upon Wiki though.

So which club will take Michael Bennell ( Perth FC ) in the mid-season draft , West Coast have so many small forwards especially with Jarrad Cameron coming through . Bennell seems like a rare talent though , we should still draft Bennell I reckon .

So which club will take Michael Bennell ( Perth FC ) in the mid-season draft , West Coast have so many small forwards especially with Jarrad Cameron coming through . Bennell seems like a rare talent though , we should still draft Bennell I reckon .

My understanding of the mid season draft is you need a free list spot, ie some retired or season ending injury.

We currently have neither and I would rather it stay like that than be part of the mid season draft.

My understanding of the mid season draft is you need a free list spot, ie some retired or season ending injury.

We currently have neither and I would rather it stay like that than be part of the mid season draft.

Depends if you have a full list I thought ...Cat B not included , I think we might have a spot available but have to wait and see .

Depends if you have a full list I thought ...Cat B not included , I think we might have a spot available but have to wait and see .
We have a full list save for one Cat B spot which can’t be filled from the mid season draft

Apparently so. They made space at the end of 2017 with a lot of retirements and delistings (Pridda, Mitchell etc.). They had room to pay Gov while keeping a bit in hand. Le Cras and Lycett were the major notable cap space creators in 2018, but that was really it. Take what Gaff was on, add Le Cras and a bit more to make the new Gaff salary and there's not a lot left. Especially with Shep signing a new deal as well.

I suspect that Natanui will sign for less than he is on, but it won't be 1/2 price or anything silly like that. He has hinted in interviews that he feels that he owes the club for the past two years and expects to be on less. How much is the question.

Edit - Just as an addition, WC are pretty light on for selections in the 2019 draft.
Currently we have, Round 1 - WC pick. Round 2 - WC pick and Sydney pick. And that's it.
Our Rd 3 pick is with Sydney (swap with their Rd2), Rd 4 with St Kilda (Hickey) and Rd5 with GCS (part of a pick swap at the 2018 draft.
they don't very little room , got this from great source particularly as Kelly still targeted
Lycett was not big earner

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There will be clubs who will 'retire' some players in order to get to pick some players they see as being 'useful' - AFAIK the mid-season draft will allow some clubs to be creative. Eg Hey Fraser. We are going to delist you at years end - how about you retire now.

Nekminnit WCE have a pick in mid-season draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There will be clubs who will 'retire' some players in order to get to pick some players they see as being 'useful' - AFAIK the mid-season draft will allow some clubs to be creative. Eg Hey Fraser. We are going to delist you at years end - how about you retire now.

Nekminnit WCE have a pick in mid-season draft.

*mobster voice* you see, Fraser, we don't have anyone to put on the Long Term Injury List; and wouldn't it be great if it stayed that way, Frase?

*mobster voice* you see, Fraser, we don't have anyone to put on the Long Term Injury List; and wouldn't it be great if it stayed that way, Frase?
Normally you have to put a horse down if they have get a long term injury. Hopefully we don't do that to Frase.

FWIW on the coast to coast podcast they mentioned Geelong asked about Brander last year during the Kelly trade and were quickly told no. Interesting tidbit I thought and shows he is very highly rated at the club

FWIW on the coast to coast podcast they mentioned Geelong asked about Brander last year during the Kelly trade and were quickly told no. Interesting tidbit I thought and shows he is very highly rated at the club

Oh nah, don’t say that to Geelong fans- Krueger is better!

Also, I have concerns Rotham isn’t signed up. I have seen enough. All this kicking around the back, his SC scores will go through roof.

And cant wait until the inevitable where one of you campaigners start “asking” that he should be “tried” in midfield!

An issue we may face is some of our 'depth' may become frustrated at a lack of opportunities and seek more game time elsewhere.

A few closer to the end of their careers than the beginning are JK, Schofield, Hurn, Jetta, McInnes and Masten. Of those only 4 are first picked.

The likes of Brander, Waterman, Rotham, Nelson et al may seek greener pastures much like Clape Laidley, Ischenko etc did earlier on during our history.

An issue we may face is some of our 'depth' may become frustrated at a lack of opportunities and seek more game time elsewhere.

A few closer to the end of their careers than the beginning are JK, Schofield, Hurn, Jetta, McInnes and Masten. Of those only 4 are first picked.

The likes of Brander, Waterman, Rotham, Nelson et al may seek greener pastures much like Clape Laidley, Ischenko etc did earlier on during our history.

-Brander will replace JK
-Rotham to step into the backline
-Waterman will be a hard one, but Allen and Brander will be better most liekly
-Nelson to go because he is terrible

Nelson probably is the most likely to go. The others though, if we've continued to draft to suit our culture will be understanding that good things happen when you develop in the twos early. We don't gift games, if you're ready you're ready but none of them have been knocking on the door really. We have pretty sound list management.

I had rotham pecilled in as a delisting certainty at the end of the year
So if not him then who?
Nelson,ahchee and mutimer?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I had rotham pecilled in as a delisting certainty at the end of the year
So if not him then who?
Nelson,ahchee and mutimer?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Brayshaw might be an outside chance of being delisted if he can't get over his injury problems. Not sure how long he's contracted for.

McInness and Watson from the rookie list are most likely

Will see at least one of the following retiring probably Masten, Schofield, Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back