Traded 2018 Live Trade: Carlton trade #4 (2019) to Adelaide for #19 (2018) and #9 (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting you use CD as a metric to evaluate Walsh v Rowell in their Under 18 years, but not to evaluate Walsh v JOM and Selwood in their first year of footy (keeping in mind JOM had already been on the list a year prior and had completed 2 pre-seasons compared to Walsh's 1).

FWIW

Walsh 2019 - 95
JOM 2013 - 90
Selwood 2007 - 77

CD is largely irrelevant at underage level. Michael Gibbons put up bigger numbers in underage footy than Marcus Bontempelli in his TAC cup year but didn't even get selected, for example.

Walsh likely wont finish at 95.

What’s harsh about it? He has been lacklustre this year. His output is down on last year. But the blues still don’t have anyone better coming through so he should rightly play out the year in the seniors.

I'd agree his output is down, but he's still averaging just under 20 disposals at 80%, 5 marks and 5 R50's a game. He tends to win his 1 on 1's as well (as always).

You said he's 'gone on one season too long', which is harsh. He's still a good player, courageous, and a valuable senior member of a backline that is seriously young. He'd still get a game in any AFL side.

I fear this could be his last season though. Currently out for 3 weeks with a soft tissue injury (after never having one before), and at his age that's never a good sign.

I'd agree his output is down, but he's still averaging just under 20 disposals at 80%, 5 marks and 5 R50's a game. He tends to win his 1 on 1's as well (as always).

You said he's 'gone on one season too long', which is harsh. He's still a good player, courageous, and a valuable senior member of a backline that is seriously young. He'd still get a game in any AFL side.

I fear this could be his last season though. Currently out for 3 weeks with a soft tissue injury (after never having one before), and at his age that's never a good sign.

Couldnt agree more.
I think if you'd jumped up the ladder to be in finals hunt 2020 he might go on one more.

He's still more than handy, and as you say would make every side in the comp in some capacity.

Couldnt agree more.
I think if you'd jumped up the ladder to be in finals hunt 2020 he might go on one more.

He's still more than handy, and as you say would make every side in the comp in some capacity.

End of the year I've been pretty solid on us being bottom 4 with around 6 wins. Hopefully we can bring in some F/A and Trades to help us take the next step next year.

I hope he goes around again. He's always been pretty grounded and realistic with his age and the realisation that it comes pretty fast when it's time to go.

He's been incredibly durable for a little bloke that puts his body on the line a lot, but soft tissue injures at 35 are generally a pretty big neon sign the end is nigh.

You could see it on his face when he got benched after tweaking his hammy.

If there was one bloke that deserves to go out on a high note its Simmo. Fingers crossed he gets another year or two out of his body.

End of the year I've been pretty solid on us being bottom 4 with around 6 wins. Hopefully we can bring in some F/A and Trades to help us take the next step next year.

I hope he goes around again. He's always been pretty grounded and realistic with his age and the realisation that it comes pretty fast when it's time to go.

He's been incredibly durable for a little bloke that puts his body on the line a lot, but soft tissue injures at 35 are generally a pretty big neon sign the end is nigh.

You could see it on his face when he got benched after tweaking his hammy.

If there was one bloke that deserves to go out on a high note its Simmo. Fingers crossed he gets another year or two out of his body.

It staggers me how durable he's been over the journey.
Forget injuries, but at his size he shouldve been destroyed many times. He just keeps getting up and going again.

Gotta respect the bloke, as a player and a tough egg.

Unfortunately very few players get to go out on a high.

It staggers me how durable he's been over the journey.
Forget injuries, but at his size he shouldve been destroyed many times. He just keeps getting up and going again.

Gotta respect the bloke, as a player and a tough egg.

Unfortunately very few players get to go out on a high.

Cousins went out on a high.

If Collingwood beat Carlton today then Carlton will be 18th. Pick 1 is actually looking like a real possibility

What if The AFL decides to give Carlton a pre first round draft pick ? We deserve it ! (Not really, but the meltdowns would be glorious

What if The AFL decides to give Carlton a pre first round draft pick ? We deserve it ! (Not really, but the meltdowns would be glorious

You won’t get a priority pick, no other clubs will back it. You decided to trade your first pick and you still have a first round pick.

You might get access to another state player if you are lucky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there would be an argument for an end of first round priority pick maybe. But no chance of one at the start of the round.
The fact supporters are talking about Carlton receiving another priority pick 74 games into their rebuild is an indictment on their plan.

On draft night can they get sos up there to read this pick

With pick 1 I stupidly traded it away and Adelaide select Matt Rowell

Nah, we get 2 for the price of 1. We don't need to keep collecting #1 draft picks.

On draft night can they get sos up there to read this pick

With pick 1 I stupidly traded it away and Adelaide select Matt Rowell

Not that simple.

This year SOS wants to trade the first round pick for a mature body player, which Carlton don’t have enough of. It’s about list balance. Last year Carlton were caught out a bit with trying to trade for D Shiel, as GWS wanted pick 1 which was too high a price.

So, when Carlton attempts to trade this year other clubs know we don’t have pick 1 (if we finish last) to give up. Hence, the reason to trade the pick with Adelaide and bring in Stocker. Effectively, Carlton are looking for 2 good players rather than 1 very good player.

Of course, whether it’s successful or not depends on a few things - whether Stocker proves to be worth a first round pick, whether Carlton get the experienced player they’re looking for and the first round pick from Adelaide is good enough to satisfy the trade, and the quality of the player Adelaide draft with the pick they got from Carlton.

As with any draft / trade, it usually takes 2 or 3 years down the track to see whether the right decision was made or not.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The fact supporters are talking about Carlton receiving another priority pick 74 games into their rebuild is an indictment on their plan.

No matter how many wins we have I can guarantee we will not be goaded into asking for a priority pick this year.
That ship has sailed.
AFL priority picks are dead, unless you are situated in a northern state.

I reality we don't want or need any more kids. Seriously, we need mature age talent. We need 2 or 3 more 25 year olds. The pick we get from Adelaide will be traded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back