Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having been meaning to post that what Adelaide has done to this point has been quite impressive.

It's those slogs against GWS and Fremantle that really impress. That was from a side that couldnt fo anything but play quick.

Busting Richmond apart in what looks like a more open match obviously works where it shows that they can play quick when needed.

It's a good combination for finals. Maybe Don Pike spent the summer on a bus listening to the Richmond song.

Going to admit I was wrong on Ellis-Yolmen. Never rated him, but having watched him a bit more, I'm coming round to him.

The bloke is enormous. Tough as nails. Huge unit

The Yolmenator has always performed when he’s been given a go. Been hella under-utilised at the Crows over the journey.

He’s basically a Tex Walker sized completely natural midfielder, I want one.

I’m waiting for my apologies as I was often shot down in the trades thread for bringing him up.
I probably did, so I apologize. Please don't nuke my house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toronto almost there...

St Louis Blues yesterday, Toronto Raptors today. Feel for DeMar DeRozan, but that's business!

Despite having 6 Canadian NHL teams in the league, a Canadian team hasn't won the Stanley Cup since 1993.

St Louis Blues yesterday, Toronto Raptors today. Feel for DeMar DeRozan, but that's business!

Despite having 6 Canadian NHL teams in the league, a Canadian team hasn't won the Stanley Cup since 1993.
One did win it the year after they left Canada

If you like being excruciatingly frustrated by officiating, the final few seconds of the NBA game 6 delivered in spades - they completely sucked all the juice out of a great win with their nonsensical over analyzing of every ******* thing despite the game essentially being over. Was nuts & going forward the AFL needs to be careful how far they go with goal review etc, there's a point where it becomes too much & ruins the spectacle.

Last edited:
NHL is an example of goal reviews done right (helps that it's much easier to get a good camera angle) the footage from every camera at every game (including some non broadcast ones) are streamed into a dedicated room in Toronto where a team of professionals review every goal. Up to 12-13 games at once.

Having said that I believe they got a couple wrong this post-season

If you like being excruciatingly frustrated by officiating, the final few seconds of the NBA game 6 delivered in spades - they completely sucked all the juice out of a great win with their nonsensical over analyzing of every ******* thing despite the game essentially being over. Was nuts & going forward the AFL needs to be careful how far they goal with goal review etc, there's a point where it becomes too much & ruins the spectacle.

I reckon apart from tennis, a lot of sports are suffering from wanting to be too perfect. Reviews are as boring as sh*t. AFL especially, who cares if a little tip of the finger touched off the boot. Better way is to stop close up replays and just have ump/ref decision

Lore the gameday thread is gone

I reckon apart from tennis, a lot of sports are suffering from wanting to be too perfect. Reviews are as boring as sh*t. AFL especially, who cares if a little tip of the finger touched off the boot. Better way is to stop close up replays and just have ump/ref decision

Absolutely.

I saw a tweet on the NFL board about changes to reviews in the last 2 minutes etc, NFL also need to tread carefully in that regard.

If you like being excruciatingly frustrated by officiating, the final few seconds of the NBA game 6 delivered in spades - they completely sucked all the juice out of a great win with their nonsensical over analyzing of every ******* thing despite the game essentially being over. Was nuts & going forward the AFL needs to be careful how far they go with goal review etc, there's a point where it becomes too much & ruins the spectacle.
I get where you’re coming from and it felt like that but I think I disagree. Referees and adjudication should always forget everything else and try and get the correct decision.

In the case of game 6, a foul and Leonard missing both shots and a Hail Mary 3 from back court means Warriors could still win. If they ignored the rules and allowed continuation then a crazy full court 3 happened then you’d have a situation whereby maybe Warriors should have won but the referees tried to predict what mattered and what didn’t.

In AFL terms you’d have a Rampe goalpost situation. I’ll take the correct decision every time.

The NFL and NBA also use an equivalent central replay and review centre and they very rarely get stuff that can be reviewed wrong. Having said that they’re both far easier games to officiate

I get where you’re coming from and it felt like that but I think I disagree. Referees and adjudication should always forget everything else and try and get the correct decision.

In the case of game 6, a foul and Leonard missing both shots and a Hail Mary 3 from back court means Warriors could still win. If they ignored the rules and allowed continuation then a crazy full court 3 happened then you’d have a situation whereby maybe Warriors should have won but the referees tried to predict what mattered and what didn’t.

In AFL terms you’d have a Rampe goalpost situation. I’ll take the correct decision every time.

Technically it may all have been correct & by the book but it ruined the ending, just pay the 2 points scored off the foul & a game that was 99.5 over would have been 100% done. I dont watch enough basketball to know how often that goes on but it was just nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back