Preview PORT ADELAIDE VS GEELONG, Saturday, June 22, 7:10PM @ Adelaide Oval- #BRINGBACKTHEBARS NIGHT

Remove this Banner Ad

Not at all disappointed have a long planned previous event. Even watching a win would only enrage me about how coach clueless had pissed yet another season down the drain. A big win for Geelong would get the pressure needed on Ken, so because the universe hates Ports, it’ll be a narrow loss (it’s a tough Competition and we’ll be better with <insert an injured player> back cliches).

I don’t rule out a win. It’d take pressure off Coke boy for weeks, like the West Coast win did. And would no doubt be off a sub-par structure, justifying short people over talls for the rest of the season, just to make the blood boil even more. It’d be classic Hinkley Ports, that one unexpected win to balance three or four unacceptable losses.

I'd love to know, for anyone that's been at the club for a few years or more, does losing to Geelong every year really burn in their gut? Like really make them hungry for a win?
I'd love it if Ken sat down with the playing group and told them how important beating them would be, the same way he put all that emphasis on winning in Shanghai.
I get the feeling it's just another game in a long running series of events that make up a "really tough competition."

Geelong by 40+
Hawkins to kick 7, Rohan to kick 4
Dixon to get mauled and get no free kicks
free kick count 26-10 Geelong's way.
Port fans to be booted before the 1st bounce for singing NTUA to loud

Going along with no expectations and with the goal of watching Geelong very closely.
They are the dominant side in 2019 and I want to understand why.

The disappointing thing about this weekend is I don't have a maggies game to lift my spirits on Sunday.

Proof that stats lie

Port Adelaide Average Per Game Geelong Cats

228.6 Kicks 224.2
169.8 Handballs 152.1
398.3 Disposals 376.3
59.3 Inside 50s 51.5
Hitouts 38.2
42.9 Clearances 39.6
Centre Clearances 12.2
29.1 Stoppage Clearances 27.4
60.8 One Percenters 51.8
5971.3 Metres Gained 5721.6
161.3 Contested Possessions 152.7
233.8 Uncontested Possessions 219.1
281.7 Effective Disposals 272.5
11.6 Behinds 9.9
19.4 Frees For 18.3
78.6 Intercepts 68.2
13.3 Tackles Inside 50 9.3

12.2 Marks Inside 50 12.2

87.3 Marks 96.1
12.4 Goals 14.9
24.0 Scoring Shots 24.8
65.1 Tackles 65.2
21.9 Frees Against 16.7
8.5 Goal Assists 11.2
70.7% Disposal Efficiency % 72.4%
58.7 Clangers 51.7
10.3 Contested Marks 11.8
37.0 Rebound 50s 40.3
3.9 Bounces 4.2
51.7% Conversion 60.1%
78.8 Turnovers 64.6

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expectation is our kryptonite, there is none this week so look out Cats! In all seriousness, expecting the usual, all effort and hard work for little reward, opposition goals with 5 seconds left in the quarter, no composure, missed scoring opportunities and a bit of comedy gold from the usual suspects. We're 4 from 15 in games decided by less than 2 goals, says all we need to know about the mental strength of this team. Most of them sleep with the light on. Geelong by 119 pts.

On HTC Desire 650 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some big changes in the side looming ....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wines is obvious.

To be categorised as "big", I'd need to see Ryder and Westhoff dropped for Ladhams and Dixon.

If we can also throw in S.Gray for Marshall/Frampton, and get Garner and Drew into the side...happy days.

Last year Geelongs web like defence absolutely killed us. We continually pushed up the ground and then kicked the ball to their unmanned or at best 3 on 1 defenders. We lose to them exactly the same way every time. We tried to run and gun through their defence but didn't have the skill pace or ability to pull it off.

Maybe try something different? Go tall in the forward line and play deep? I don't know, just do something ******* different.!!!

Geelong by 40+
Hawkins to kick 7, Rohan to kick 4
Dixon to get mauled and get no free kicks
free kick count 26-10 Geelong's way.
Port fans to be booted before the 1st bounce for singing NTUA to loud

It's just all too predictable being a Port supporter these days.

This game will be like our last quarter against Fremantle x 4

Port Adelaide is set to field its strongest team this season with star trio Ollie Wines, Charlie Dixon and Brad Ebert expected to tackle the top of the table Cats on Saturday night.
It will be their first AFL game together since round 21 last year.

Last year Geelongs web like defence absolutely killed us. We continually pushed up the ground and then kicked the ball to their unmanned or at best 3 on 1 defenders. We lose to them exactly the same way every time. We tried to run and gun through their defence but didn't have the skill pace or ability to pull it off.

Maybe try something different? Go tall in the forward line and play deep? I don't know, just do something ******* different.!!!
Against Geelong, you need to keep your forward 6 "intact". If you send half-forwards to the stoppage, the Geelong backs drop off, wait for our poor kicking from stoppage, intercept and score the other way. When you're a bad kicking team like Port, you have to keep your forwards deeper to at least provide a contest.

But, you know, Ken.

Interesting timing for this bringbackthebars, a game that we are likely to cop an absolute flogging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back