Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the AFL is the best run major national sports competition in the land. But as you say it is self absorbed and has gotten in to control freak mode.

It does good work in developing the game in the non traditional states, but it has pissed off a lot of people at the grass roots level in the traditional states. As I have written before, over the last couple of years the AFL has to split into 2 - Have AFL Custodial Commissioners to be keeper of the code and Competition Commissioners to run the national competition and make it bigger and better. I would give the custodial commissioners control of the rules and umpires to stop the AFL executive's ******* around with the look of the game and continually changing things and causing all these unintended consequences.
Footy needs its equivalent of the IFAB. The IFAB is the best institution of soccer by a cosmic margin.

That could really mess with their season.

Stephenson penalty is the harshest gambling penalty handed out by AFL.

Collingwood forward Jaidyn Stephenson has been handed the toughest sanction ever given to an AFL player for breaching wagering rules..Stephenson was handed a hefty 22-game ban — of which 12 games were suspended — and a $20,000 fine for three Collingwood-outcome bets across three separate games, which included wagering on himself.The 10-game ban means Stephenson, who previously had never missed an AFL game since being drafted, will miss the remainder of Collingwood’s home and away campaign, but will be eligible for selection come finals time. He can still train with the club, but can’t play VFL. The bets, which totalled $36 but all lost, came against the Western Bulldogs in Round 4, Essendon in Round 6 and St Kilda in Round 9. .......

So $36 worth of bets have cost him $50,000 match payments before tax, and $20,000 fine after tax, so that's about $88,000 before tax out of his potential payment of $200,000 for a second year player on standard base and match payments. What a dill.

Would have looked marginally better if it was 11 weeks + 11 suspended not 10 which means available for every final.

Last edited:
Should've been a full 12 months. Weak.

The very low amount and the fact that he lost them all (they were relating to disposal numbers ect weren’t they ?) probably worked slightly in his favour.

Had he placed big money bets and won because of inside knowledge he’d of got much worse you’d imagine.

Lucky to be back for finals, very convenient and typical of the AFL, can’t be too harsh on a player from a big vic club.

The very low amount and the fact that he lost them all (they were relating to disposal numbers ect weren’t they ?) probably worked slightly in his favour.

Had he placed big money bets and won because of inside knowledge he’d of got much worse you’d imagine.

Lucky to be back for finals, very convenient and typical of the AFL, can’t be too harsh on a player from a big vic club.

If this is about integrity then the bet amount is irrelevant.

Should've been a full 12 months. Weak.

Yeh and we all know if it was one of our own youngsters people here would be digging up past sanctions for this sort of thing and complaining its too heavy handed by the AFL, that its only so harsh because its Port, and if it was a Vic team it wouldn't have been as harsh.

They promote the gambling industry 24/7, throw the temptations in front of players especially young kids, and then punish them for falling into those temptations.

So many people who arent AFL footballers struggle with gambling addictions, because it is an addictive thing, but the AFL expects its players to somehow be immune from being human after theyve promoted gambling.

The AFL has more to answer for here then a 20 year old kid.

Employer promotes an activity, employee partakes, employer sanctions employee.

They couldn't highlight their own hypocrisy and double standards better if they tried.
Incredibly narrow minded way of looking at it.

We're allowed to own cars. Doesn't make the government hypocrites for arresting us if we chose to run over someone. Likewise, the AFL have been extremely clear that players and officials can't bet on the AFL - especially on your own team.

I completely agree with the general rhetoric of the AFL being hypocrisy-central but I just don't see it in this scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If its about integrity they the Afl wouldnt have betting agencies advertising plastered everywhere, and the afl industry in general even offering tips for multis. They even have past players doing the promotions.

Integrity? In the afl?

Agree and the hypocrisy on many fronts from the AFL is staggering.

The AFL treat the public the same way politicians do, and that is we are absolute mugs.

Its absurd to say ‘oh but gambling addiction’ when its less than $50, and it was basically the only sport or event he’s not allowed to bet on.

Get stuck on the pokies or go big on the Brexit results and Stephenson will have my support

Its absurd to say ‘oh but gambling addiction’ when its less than $50, and it was basically the only sport or event he’s not allowed to bet on.

Get stuck on the pokies or go big on the Brexit results and Stephenson will have my support

Yep. These aren't the actions of a gambling addict, they're the actions of an idiot.

I did chuckle at someone's suggestion that Stephenson should have played the "gambling to cope with mental illness" card to reduce his penalty.

You got any tips?

Asking for a friend who’s a bit short at the minute and has plenty of spare time for a couple of months

Yep. These aren't the actions of a gambling addict, they're the actions of an idiot.
As an AFL official, the amount of education you have to complete around gambling, with a 100% pass mark is onerous. I's hard to believe he placed the bets with little knowledge that he couldn't. Idiot confirmed! Or someone did his AFL education for him? :think:

As an AFL official, the amount of education you have to complete around gambling, with a 100% pass mark is onerous. I's hard to believe he placed the bets with little knowledge that he couldn't. Idiot confirmed! Or someone did his AFL education for him? :think:
I imagine he didn’t think he’d get caught

Incredibly narrow minded way of looking at it.

We're allowed to own cars. Doesn't make the government hypocrites for arresting us if we chose to run over someone. Likewise, the AFL have been extremely clear that players and officials can't bet on the AFL - especially on your own team.

I completely agree with the general rhetoric of the AFL being hypocrisy-central but I just don't see it in this scenario.

Running people over isnt an addiction caused by driving a car. Theres no organized advertising campaigns for running people over either.

Gambling is a known addiction.
Its incredibly negligent of the AFL to be promoting gambling on the one hand but then sanctioning players for doing it.

They cant have their cake and eat it.

The only real negative is that he did it on his own team. It was neglidble amounts of money so he cant be accused of match fixing especially when hes paid a tonne of money to play.

Of course hes an idiot for doing it, but theres bigger issues here then a 20 year old kid being an idiot.

Why come down so hard on this issue but other issues on field its all wishy washy and especially dependant on who it is and what jumper theyre wearing?

Stephenson self reported. He felt guilty. Should have waited until the end of the year and then self reported, but sounds like a dumb naive 20 year old kid, who couldn't handle the guilt as well as fear of being caught.

Given he gave his mate the money twice and once used his mates betting account in the 3 multi-bets he made, he would have got away with it if he and his mate kept quiet. This WWOS page has video of him reading his statement.

Stephenson said he had come forward to self-report due to a "really guilty conscience". "I suppose it's just how I've always been as a person, Mum and Dad have always been big on 'make sure you tell the truth' and 'anything you hide will only hurt you in the long run' so I suppose, as I said, it was three bets and after the third one I thought 'this is actually accumulating to something that could be a lot bigger' and I just got a really guilty conscience," Stephenson said.

"I went and spoke to Walshy to sought out his advice, I was like, 'look I have made a mistake here, I'm really guilty and I regret it, so what can we do from here?' and he said 'we'll take it to the AFL' and I was happy with that."

Stephenson self reported. He felt guilty. Should have waited until the end of the year and then self reported, but sounds like a dumb naive 20 year old kid, who couldn't handle the guilt as well as fear of being caught.

Given he gave his mate the money twice and once used his mates betting account in the 3 multi-bets he made, he would have got away with it if he and his mate kept quiet.
Or someone at the AFL found out about it already (loose lipped mate maybe? wouldn’t be the first, ask Jake Carlisle) it was still hush hush so they let best buds Collingwood frame it as an admission rather than a looming scandal.

Given how the AFL works it seems as believable, player statement or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back