What's been your favourite moment ever as a footy fan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly 2008 GF, Williams to Dew to Williams to Dew to Williams ..... goal!!! With 4 cats players flopping and sliding around them unable to lay a hand on them. It was the precise moment I knew we'd win the flag.
Yep, a fat retiree and a lazy, undersized ‘key’ forward take on the might of the Geelong backline and beat them pointless to goal. It was ugly and it was beautiful. Just one of many magic moments in that wondrous game

images

The 2013 Preliminary Final was just an amazing night for Fremantle fans. Seeing us coast our way into our first Grand final just filled you with jubilation that we could finally have our chance at the big one. Unfortunately of course we didn't get the job done on the day and that sucks, but in the end that Prelim will always remain etched in the hearts of Fremantle fans and we'll hope to see something similar in the near future.

Dom Sheed from the pocket - yes it is very cliche - but it's also by far away the number one moment.

To sit through that game and then be behind that kick in the GSS

Not sure footy will ever get better than that. In fact - it might have ruined footy going forward, knowing that is the peak.

90% of this thread will be various GFs. Mines the 2017 one, obviously.

Outside of that run, 2014 R23 vs Sydney. They rested a few and it was at ANZ not the SCG, but still, we had to travel to face the top team to win our 9th straight game and book an unlikely finals spot. The most tense last quarter I’ve been involved in, Alex Rance took about 105 intercept marks and every single time he proceeded to kick it out on the full. But we won. I don’t remember what happened the next week unfortunately.

I think you had won eight of your previous 10 games or something like that, after a very poor start to the had to win this one to make the finals and did it. Pouring rain too, IIRC. And I believe that was one of Toby Nankervis' early games (maybe his 2nd or 3rd) for the Swans - you obviously liked what you saw.

Disappointing loss for the Swans, but I think we consoled ourselves with the thought that we were resting quite a few. In retrospect, maybe we should have put more weight on that loss.

I legit had a heart attack when Isaac Smith went for goal after the siren in the 2016 qualifying final. One of the greatest moments when he missed, the utter relief. Also Hawkins kicking the goal against them after the siren was epic too. My favourite moment outside of my team has to be when Longmuire from Freo kicked a goal after the siren to beat St Kilda. (forgot what year it was) All the players jumping into the fans in the stands was insane, will never see something like it again.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two, and they are recent:

Burgers fourth quarter goal in the 2013 Pre-Lim. After so many years of Geelong beating Hawthorn we finally looked like we were going to win one. Geelong are a brilliant club -
I have massive respect for them.

Roughy’s bump on Hanners in the first quarter of the 2014 GF. Such a huge statement of intent - I’ll add Cyril crying on the bench in the fourth. I love you so much Cyril. 2012 must have really hurt for him

I think you had won eight of your previous 10 games or something like that, after a very poor start to the had to win this one to make the finals and did it. Pouring rain too, IIRC. And I believe that was one of Toby Nankervis' early games (maybe his 2nd or 3rd) for the Swans - you obviously liked what you saw.

Disappointing loss for the Swans, but I think we consoled ourselves with the thought that we were resting quite a few. In retrospect, maybe we should have put more weight on that loss.
I think the result was just down to a reasonable team with momentum desperate to make finals vs a damn good team, but with little reason reason to win. It was before the bye was introduced so it was understandable why you played with an eye to the future.
From memory you rested Buddy, and even if he did nothing for the first 3 quarters, I’m almost certain he would’ve beaten Rance once, twice, maybe some more in the last and that was all you needed in the end.

Can you have two favourite moments?

1. Daniel Chick. 2006 GF. Tackle. Smother. Pick up. Handball to Hunter. Shepherd while Hunter kicks the goal.

2. Dom Sheed. 2019 GF. Sitting directly behind him in the third tier as he kicked that wonderful goal.

Last edited:
Two, and they are recent:

Burgers fourth quarter goal in the 2013 Pre-Lim. After so many years of Geelong beating Hawthorn we finally looked like we were going to win one. Geelong are a brilliant club -
I have massive respect for them.

Roughy’s bump on Hanners in the first quarter of the 2014 GF. Such a huge statement of intent - I’ll add Cyril crying on the bench in the fourth. I love you so much Cyril. 2012 must have really hurt for him
2013 Prelim will always be the best for me.

I guess for me the question is which grand final was the sweetest.

Honestly couldn't pick that. They've all been pretty emotional. I was young in 1992 though so don't remember it AS well as the others. I think our greatest moments have been so fraught with tension too, so there was relief then elation. I think the sense of tension and then relief at the end of the 2006 and 2018 GFs is as great as you can get in footy, so to use a lot of words, those two.

jason akermanis slapping the back of a swan player (think jared crouch)

2008 stewie dews season one of my favourite individual performances

chris judds basketball bounce against adelaide 2006 prelim

as for games

that comeback in 2006 actually two comebacks but the geelong one till this day holy *

2006 flag that last few minutes probably couldve given myself a heart attack

2011 semi final against carlton.

last years grand final. simply magical.

special mention goes to our port shallacking in 2005 in round 1, our win against carlton in 2002. by a solitary point. and geelong 2011 at home.

Last edited:

The moment Richmond won 9 in a row to make finals is the moment I realised that they could win the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back