Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it would certainly piss a number of people off here that believe he doesn't like Richo.
He has certainly been big on the injuries as a reason not an excuse. Thought his comment last night was quite strong when he was asked if Richo would survive next week.
Not disagreeing shaggy. The pint of the question is that he is being used to validate some people's opinion of the coach.

So I'm curious to see their thoughts if he came out and endorsed Richo.

Yes. He didn’t do a poll. Just what he has heard when talking to players. You can bet some rats and even some may want richo. Just his vibe
" Yes he didn't do a pole "

So i see we are interviewing strippers now for the top job!
I better get down there and put my pole up! 🤤

Edit You changed it! Why you crafty ol wizard you!

Not disagreeing shaggy. The pint of the question is that he is being used to validate some people's opinion of the coach.

I would be more likely to take his word than say Lethlean. Only because I would see Roo as wanting the best for the club and not necessarily using it as a stepping stone to get back to the Death Star.
As it is Roo has been more diplomatic with his responses this year.

A few random thoughts on our coaching dilemma.

I love Robert Harvey, but I just can't see him as Head Coach. I'm sure he CAN coach, but that doesn't make him the figurehead we need. I have never heard him speak with much authority in public. Not everyone can do it. Just lacks that inspirational quality that Richo also lacks. Was a deeds man, not words. I expect incoming for having said it. Favourite son and all that. I have read others saying similar things.

Lenny may well have it, but I believe him if he says he's not ready. Getting the old champs back was what always used to happen. The job seems unbelievably complex now. So many facets, and aspects must be delegated. Old champs great if they can really do it.

We need an experienced all rounder. Coaching the most important thing obviously. But also need a big strong personality to galvanise and lead the club. Clarko clearly would do. Fat chance I would imagine. Mitchell I can see doing it. Scott....maybe. Ratten....possible. But does he want that sort of pressure? Not really sure who else is around in that space. All nailed down seemingly.

There has been talk of someone like Roos at Carlton being the figurehead and a top match day guy underneath. Something a bit revolutionary. Fagan at Brisbane is an example possibly. Wish we'd kept Bevo, but fair enough he went on.

There was talk of someone like that a while back. David Noble? Simon Lloyd? Anyway....a very big appointment. Club at the crossroads.

Ross Lyon again? Reckon Roo would be all for it. Uncompromising, strong, a real campaigner. Maybe the club management not strong enough to deal with him. There would be casualties, but maybe that's what we need.

OK, serious question...

What if Roo came out and said in his opinion, Richo deserves another year due to injuries

I'd say if Roo wants to have that type of influence over the club, he needs to step into the fold and become as hands on and accountable as everyone else actually involved with the club. Not much point in him hovering around making calls without getting his hands dirty.
Not to mention, I'm certain he's wrong about Marshall. I want him to stay in the ruck, because he's killing it there. I think he'd be wasted as a forward.

But he doesn't so it's as relevant as saying "would you still like Rooey if he killed someone".

It will be admin if anything.
That'll do. Just having him around the place will have a positive effect. Could he become the next Balmey? Loves the saints and will get involved in an official capacity at some stage in the future. Coach? Never say never.

Brad Scott wasn’t actually playing in the game where Riewoldt was bumped whilst injured, so I hope people aren’t using that incident as a reason for not wanting B Scott as coach.

I’m not sure if I want him as our next coach or not, but he is not guilty of that (cowardly) act, even though he looks like the guy who did it.

Brad Scott wasn’t actually playing in the game where Riewoldt was bumped whilst injured, so I hope people aren’t using that incident as a reason for not wanting B Scott as coach.

I’m not sure if I want him as our next coach or not, but he is not guilty of that (cowardly) act, even though he looks like the guy who did it.

Yeah but twins feel and act the same so he's still a campaigner.

Said the players are keen on a fresh face or the club?
Who cares who the players want? I only care about who they need.

As long as it's not some maniac like Watters, they get who they get and they step up or leave. This last 2 years is as much about them as it is Richo, and our primary concern should be who gets the most out of this group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least it's not sounding as definitive as it was. Players want Ratts apparently.
I'd like to see Bartell explain how Richo "got improvement out of the young players and improvement out of some mature players that have been just going in the last couple of years, and some mature-age recruits."

I don't see it, frankly.

I'd like to see Bartell explain how Richo "got improvement out of the young players and improvement out of some mature players that have been just going in the last couple of years, and some mature-age recruits."

I don't see it, frankly.

It's like he can't get all the players firing at once. Last year our kids stalled, this year our older players stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back