Coach Worsfold - On the brink?

Remove this Banner Ad

I had Essendon at least 7th or 8th. No finals will be a huge fail. Can still make it but it's unlikely. Woosha should go if they don't.
I may be biased but I've also followed this club closely for a long time.

This is the best our list has been since 00-01.
Finals should be a non-negotiable.

Unfortunately effort seems to be a negotiable. And mediocrity an acceptable standard.

The mismanagement of daniher and Smith provides another excuse, on top of fantasia missing through illness and injury (The latter making the former rather dubious).

We will likely miss finals. If we somehow make them, I doubt we win one.

Worsfold should rightly be scrutinised.

Some players want the responsibility of kicking the big goal, because their team needs it.

Others want the glory of kicking the big goal, because it strokes their ego.

Essendon are littered with the latter.

Both on and off the field. It's cultural.

Imagine being so h3adfucved by a team that you had to stop watching AFL.

3 first round picks for Smith, Stringer and Shiel is fantastic trading. No way you’d nail three players of that calibre with draft picks.
And it's not as though we were giving up top 5 picks either. The picks we traded away were at best around the cusp of top 10 , and while of course there have some been some great pickups there are lot of misses and mediocrities taken with such selections.

I had Essendon at least 7th or 8th. No finals will be a huge fail. Can still make it but it's unlikely. Woosha should go if they don't.
Exactly. They can afford it.

He should be gone immediately unless they wanna look for a coach behind the scene first.... Can't afford to get a third choice after North and Carlton.

They are one big bodied midfielder short. The difference between their best and worst is also stark. They seem to lack a hard edge which is mainly attitudinal because they can do it, bashed us up around the ball in round 3. Luck with injuries would help as well.

I don’t feel their issue is coaching. Media cheerleaders do their clubs a massive disservice IMO, see Carlton and Melbourne as other examples.
Kudos for use of attitudinal

Its not their off-field attitudes.

It's their on-field attitudes that's the problem.

They're a bunch of individuals wanting individual glory.

Hanlons Razor: never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

It’s not an attitude problem, the players are working hard ie Stringer is running both ways better than he ever has. They just aren’t that smart in regards to structure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Hird had as good a list too
I think this one is a lot better. But he did. And I think a window was let slip by some very damaging mistakes.

But a midfield of Shiel, Smith, Heppell, merrett, parish and mcgrath is the best we’ve had since hird, JJ, mercuri, Misiti, Caracalla, Blomfield and Heffernan.

Forward line is good when fit. And backline has a lot of depth.

Ruck is an issue and the consistency with which the team chooses to apply themselves is not up there with the best teams

I created a thread a little while ago, putting the spotlight on the unfair advantage the AFL had handed clubs like Richmond, Essendon and Collingwood through their trickle down economic strategy.

These clubs were signing big names, because they wanted to play 'in big games in front of big crowds'.
This was perhaps an unforeseen consequence for the AFL, and a major disruptor to other equalisation strategies they had successfully introduced.

Anyway....

I watched Jake Stringer kick a simple goal in a JLT game this year, and immediately turn to the crowd and salute and celebrate like he'd just scored a touchdown in the Super Bowl. I thought to myself, "What a total scrote", and moved on. However, he does it every time he kicks a goal! It's actually embarrassing.

He's obsessed with the crowd.

Then we heard Smith have a dig that Shiel had to play his first game in front of a small crowd.

It made me wonder...

Are these dudes really driven by the right stuff? Are they that egotistical that having lots of people watching you each week is their number 1 priority?

Has Essendon dangled the 'big crowds and big games' carrot too often, and to the wrong people?

Are you guys like Dodoro collecting footy cards to make themselves look good, or are they building a team?

Then the other week, Meyers takes a mark on the siren, and winks arrogantly to his teammate as he's going back for his kick.

WTF was that? What was he winking at? Did he actually think he was capable of kicking a 70m drop punt? Or did he not give a **** that he couldn't? Bizarre behavior.

The attitudes of Essendon players is foul these days. They are mollycoddled by their doting fan base more than I've ever seen in my life.

Simply put - they're full of themselves. They're not in it for the right reasons.

And their fans just keep embracing it.

No one cared about your dumb shower thoughts when you made a thread for them, why would they care now?

When Travis Auld, when announcing the 2019 fixture, said, ‘I think I have nailed it’, I wanted to punch him to wipe that smug look off his face.

Auld believed, like most deluded Victorians, by giving Essendon a lot of prime time games, would coincide with their rise up the ladder.

For what it is worth, I never thought Essendon were that good and I only saw them scraping into the right this season, if they made it at all.

Worsfold deserves another season.

When Travis Auld, when announcing the 2019 fixture, said, ‘I think I have nailed it’, I wanted to punch him to wipe that smug look off his face.

Auld believed, like most deluded Victorians, by giving Essendon a lot of prime time games, would coincide with their rise up the ladder.

For what it is worth, I never thought Essendon were that good and I only saw them scraping into the right this season, if they made it at all.

Worsfold deserves another season.

Being very successful has little to do with prime time. It’s about playing entertaining football which draws a large audience.

Being very successful has little to do with prime time. It’s about playing entertaining football which draws a large audience.
The second part is the only relevant part.

An entertaining St Kilda or North, still doesn't draw anywhere near an underperforming Essendon or Collingwood though.

Hence the great divide.

All the off field attitude stuff is absolute nonsense, The Pies, Eagles, Hawks and Cats were notorious party animals when they won flags. With the exception of the Eagles who had extensive incidents, nobody went on about their big egos or not taking it seriously because they retroactively consider them professional outfits based on the flags. You win flags when you put the best and most suitable players/balanced list together and they stay injury free at the right time.

We aren't a great team because our midfield is Heppell, Shiel, Merrett, Zaharakis and Parish and not Kelly, Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan and Ablett. The end.
It's attitude dude.

Mick Warner on Talking Footy thinks Worsfold wont be at Essendon next year even if we play finals.

I think we need to win both games and head into finals with some form for him to keep his job imo
Simple: win a final and he's safe. Lose or miss out and there will be a lot of noise.

Parish looks good though, real surprise packet!

Mick Warner on Talking Footy thinks Worsfold wont be at Essendon next year even if we play finals.

I think we need to win both games and head into finals with some form for him to keep his job imo
Ben Dixon echoes the sentiment. Seems to think its the reason Caracella is coming over.
Lloyd has mentioned Dean Solomon as a coach who builds relationships with the players but can give them a spray too.
Goddard thinks the club needs a Ross Lyon to get the most out of the list.

Drums are beating. I dont think it's the losses. Sitting on the bench and looking disinterested. Handing the review of the game to the players.
He's probably heard them and has checked out.

We're the only club that can be a game clear in the top 8 with two rounds left and be in a position where the coach for next year isn't clear.

Maybe it says a good thing about our list.
Or it says pretty ominous things about the club

Ben Dixon echoes the sentiment. Seems to think its the reason Caracella is coming over.
Lloyd has mentioned Dean Solomon as a coach who builds relationships with the players but can give them a spray too.
Goddard thinks the club needs a Ross Lyon to get the most out of the list.

Drums are beating. I dont think it's the losses. Sitting on the bench and looking disinterested. Handing the review of the game to the players.
He's probably heard them and has checked out.

We're the only club that can be a game clear in the top 8 with two rounds left and be in a position where the coach for next year isn't clear.

Maybe it says a good thing about our list.
Or it says pretty ominous things about the club

On Footy Classfied they showed clips of Hardwick,Fagan,Lyon,Chris Scott etc being animated then they show Woosha and he's just sitting on the bench as the goals tick over.

Your team had 21 goals in a row kicked against you show some ******* passion and do something also why was Shiel talking to the group at qrt time and not the coach? Worsfold should have stormed over the huddle and put it between the eyes you're the coach ffs.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back