Ablett left for more money, success was secondary

They are opposites

Lynch would have been paid more if he stayed
Gaj got paid more to leave so he did

Gaj got a better deal to leave
Lynch got a worse deal to leave

You cant be this dumb

Oh so because he didn’t leave for better money it wasn’t a better deal

Go to your home state, an hour away from where you grew up, playing for a power club, coming off a flag and a prelim, with all the endorsement and off field opportunities you could ask for, is somehow not a trade-up from playing for an abortional club a few thousand kilometres from home with a s**t midfield kicking him the ball and next to no possibilities away from football.

Oh yeah god he’s absolutely slumming it now.

Τhe other big difference between the two is that GAJ was born in Geelong,grew up in the changing rooms of Geelong, watched his dad play for Geelong, and ultimately CHOSE to play for Geelong.

Even so he left Geelong for $$$$

Tom Lynch grew up in Sorrento, and had no choice in who drafted him, yet he still stayed there for 7 years.

Τhe other big difference between the two is that GAJ was born in Geelong,grew up in the changing rooms of Geelong, watched his dad play for Geelong, and ultimately CHOSE to play for Geelong.

Even so he left Geelong for $$$$

Tom Lynch grew up in Sorrento, and had no choice in who drafted him, yet he still stayed there for 7 years.

And?

What, so he owes the cats because of where he happened to be when he grew up?

Grow up.

It was a bit tongue in cheek "gutsroy" , but Patrick Cripps just won the MVP by the length of the Flemington
Straight and is he a better Mark than Sicily ? Is he a better Kick than Sicily ? Does he move like Sicily ?
Is he a bigger knob than Sicily ? Cripps is a great footballer in the phone box of life, but maybe we as a
football loving society need to open our minds to the majesty and grace of James Sicily.

Brother Yojimbo (or can I call you Yojimmy? Yojames seems so formal given how close we have become),

I must apologize for not recognizing a kindred spirit and fellow member of the SicDawg congregation in these dark times for followers of the People's Ranga.

But I see now that you have passed the test and have also received the revelation.

Born of the love of The Great One and the holy mother, Caro of Nazareth Downs, Sir Sic is the heir to the kingdom of heaven. Let us join in prayer.

Our Robbo, first dart smoked at seven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy VBs come.
Johnny Walkers shotgunned
At the counter of the Warrandyte postie.
Give us this day your 360 hot takes,
And forgive not Mick Malthouse, the flog,
As we hunt down those who trespass against thee,
And say bad words about SicDog,
For thou and Caro have delivered the Sick Kent of Hawthorn
Thine is the Crownie,
Sic’s the goonsack and Breezer,
For ever and ever
Amen.

Go in peace, brother.

NO

If your name is GAJ, you have a responsibility to protect your families legacy, the Ablett name at least On the field, at Geelong, needed to be protected.

He was being paid very well at Geelong, but unfortunately he was a mercenary that left for $$$.

I am sure that in time Ablett will admit that this was a big mistake and agree with Bomber Thompson on this issue

Nevertheless, not sure why this is a controversial view, its common sense.

Because he got paid nearly double at the Sun's FFS.

And also it was the greatest challenge yet. If he had lifted the Suns to the finals in 2014 it would have undoubtedly established himself as one of the top 4 players of all time.

What would you choose once you had done everything there was to achieve at your original club - continue to be a big fish small pond and go down as a club great (he was anyway) earning 600-700k a year or go to the start up team that has nothing and try to lift them up to be something on what, 1.2-1.3 million a year
Turns out it was beyond Ablett (and beyond anyone including your beloved Lynch), but it was a far greater challenge than remaining in Geelong.

Yeah but Lynch went to a team that just won a flag and made a prelim. Gaz went to GCS.

which makes it better in my opinion.

Sort of like Kevin Durant going to the Warriors v a hypothetical Kevin Durant going to the Hornets this off seaosn and spending 5 years there doing everything to lift the team but ultimately failing and moving on

Because he got paid nearly double at the Sun's FFS.

And also it was the greatest challenge yet. If he had lifted the Suns to the finals in 2014 it would have undoubtedly established himself as one of the top 4 players of all time.

What would you choose once you had done everything there was to achieve at your original club - continue to be a big fish small pond and go down as a club great (he was anyway) earning 600-700k a year or go to the start up team that has nothing and try to lift them up to be something on what, 1.2-1.3 million a year
Turns out it was beyond Ablett (and beyond anyone including your beloved Lynch), but it was a far greater challenge than remaining in Geelong.

Dusty stayed

I never have an issue with players selected because at the end of the day, it’s just opinions and while I don’t agree with some, those are all still really good players. What I do have issues with is players out of position. It’s kind of offensive in a way. Danger should not be in the forward line, he is a midfielder. He should be in the midfield or not at all. They do this every year and it’s annoying. I understand that they aren’t selecting this team with the idea of actually playing someone, but no one thinks of Danger as one of the best forwards of the competition, because that’s not his prime position.
No. Disagree strongly. I would take it one step further and pick the best tackling/defensive midfielder on the half back flank. Give Bachar Houli the flick and pick Elliott Yeo at half back instead. The team would much better with Yeo at half back instead of Houli and Dusty on the bench.

AFL midfields are more than just a ruckman, 2 on-ballers, a centreman and two wingman. The only time you see 6 vs 6 at each end of the ground is at the centre bounces to restart play. Most of the time, you'll see 4 or 5 forwards and upwards of 8, 9, 10 midfielders. e.g. Isaac Smith is picked on the half forward flank on Hawthorn's team sheet every week, but he is a midfielder, not a forward.

Generally, the best players in each team are the midfield "A" rotation, plus 1 or 2 backmen and 1 or 2 forwards.
Look at those Top 50 lists people produce - at least 30 of them are midfielders.

So why would you want to pick the best team of the year and pick just 8 midfield superstars (3 on the bench) and leave out another couple of guns just so you can pick inferior footballers "in position" on the half back and half forward flanks? Unless there are 6 forwards or 6 defenders who DEMAND selection, then it makes sense to pick 5. Especially this year when it was difficult to find quality defenders and forwards for the squad of 40.

Dangerfield was FAR better than Ablett this year. 18 AFL coaches would prefer to go into a Grand Final with a midfield of Cripps, Fyfe, Bont, Neale, Kelly and Danger at HF than Cripps, Fyfe, Bont, Neale, Kelly and Ablett at HF. No contest.

Goal kicking midfielders like Dangerfield, Martin, Zorko, Gray, Bontempelli and Ziebell often go forwards anyway for a rest instead of coming off the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never have an issue with players selected because at the end of the day, it’s just opinions and while I don’t agree with some, those are all still really good players. What I do have issues with is players out of position. It’s kind of offensive in a way. Danger should not be in the forward line, he is a midfielder. He should be in the midfield or not at all. They do this every year and it’s annoying. I understand that they aren’t selecting this team with the idea of actually playing someone, but no one thinks of Danger as one of the best forwards of the competition, because that’s not his prime position.
Pretty sure most teams would play him at HFF before a true forward when they have that luxury. Hardly a team going around who plays more then 1 true small forward.

Think the Back 6 was pretty close to spot on. Ild Take McGovern out and put Sheppered in however

Remove Pendlebury, McRae Houli and Hawkins and add B Hill/Whitfield/Brown/Saad

My Unluckys would be Hawkins/Blicavs/McCluggage

Reasoning? * you.

Think we need to really appreciate and start thinking about wingers, McRae/Gawn had mighty fine seasons, However i think for true balance, Removing McRae/Pendlebury for Hill/Whitfield because of position, Both those 2 are the best wingers in the game, Isolating my heart which says Ricky Henderson

McGovern out because while he's still an amazing player, I think Brad Sheppered was slept on, Amazing Small defender, I think the big Key defenders have almost been phased out, It;s about guys like Hayes/Grimes/Sicily who can give up size but just spoil contests, zone out ect. (aware McGovern does this better then everyone)

Thought Brown had a better year then Hawkins, Understand Hawkins does a lot more in his game then Kick goals.

Saad for Houli, Made me absolutely vommit. Hurts me to say but Saad was huge a beast for essendon. His defensive side of the game grew but he's still an amazing attacking back flanker. What he does for that essendon side is super under-rated.

Pendlebury and Mcrae being moved out? think Neale/Fyfe/Cripps/Bonts/Kelly

Why is Yeo still in? Because he's the best defensive mid of the game. Absolute tackling monster. He changed his game completely to a brand where it wont win him any brownlow votes, He had his best games in some of the eagles worst losses where he tackled like a machine, did a huge amount of dirty work, Didnt get to be at the end of some pretty handball chains delivering the ball inside 50 but he was huge this year

They clearly weren’t judging forwards solely on goal output but on the overall quality of their performances. You don’t seem to click in tune with that idea.

If Ben Brown isn’t kicking a bag of goals he has really has nothing at all to offer. Hawkins is probably the most team oriented unselfish footballer in the AFL. Goals have rarely been a thing he values unlike Ben brown who would rob an elderly for an extra goal.

Good example was when Hawkins had a sitter in the square by himself and instead of putting it through he told a first year kid to run up and handed him his first AFL goal.

Pigs would fly before Ben brown does that.

Hawkins offers a more well rounded complete Key forward performance and impact than brown does
You are a classic, comedy of the highest order....
Porkins hasn't kicked a goal for 3 weeks.
And you still have faith in B Scott.....
Forget about 2022, sign him up till 2030..
Youve been telling the world this Geelong team will win the flag every year for the past 9 as well, hilarious......
Enjoy straight sets you clown.....

Shattered for the poor old North supporters that Ben Brown didn’t make it. Commiserations my old friends. I’m sure you will take it well and make no complaints

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sweet qualifying final bro.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sweet qualifying final bro.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You are a sad, little man.
I am extremely proud of what our boys have produced this year. Exceeded my expectations by a mile. Can you say the same about your club?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Does anyone still doubt Macrae deserved his spot?

No but I doubted the Doggies fan who said your team was deserving of having three starting AA midfielders.

Maybe start watching other teams before making such a statement. Three starting AA midfielders? Really?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back