Which two teams will drop out of the 8 next year and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs only play GWS twice in the eight of 2019 and play the weaker interstates away. Hard to see them slipping based on that but of course it always changes.

We've been given a draw that we see us push for top 4. We get to double up against our bunnies North which is 2 guaranteed wins right there. Collingwood double will be tough, but Adelaide, GWS and Sydney are great doubles.

Dogs also won't drop out with the draw they've been given.

M8 you won't even make the 8. Even discussing the top 4 is laughable.

Stewart is one of those guys whose reputation grows with every game he misses.

How on earth is he a crucial in? What does he do better than Mitch Brown did? He'll be 26 at least the next time he plays senior AFL with 45 games and 55 goals to his name, doesn't take a lot of marks, not much of a back up ruckman etc.

Smith and Daniher, absolutely.

Please don't compare Stewart to Mitch Brown. The natural talent is lengths apart. Stewart is a legitimate tall and not a utility like Brown.
He has only played 45 games so his upside is considerable but only if the body is willing. If he remains fit and healthy, he's a very important inclusion because there is no need for Hooker forward and Brown is no longer on the list.

I just like the forward line if they all stay fit (big if).
Fantasia, Stewart, Daniher, Stringer, Tipungwuti has tremendous x-factor.

Essendon and GWS.

I think GWS will begin their slide. They've been around the mark a few years, hit their peak, and after getting older now and losing too many key players they'll slip down. I don't think they or gold coast will be alive in 5 years. GWS have no support while they've been good, interesting to see if anyone turns up when they're no good.

Essendon just seem to have got where they did this year on a bit of luck. They don't seem to have a great deal of improvement left. Their best players are already at their peak but will start to tire now.

Essendon and Dogs are likely.

Both are mid table sides.

Dogs grinded out some narrow wins mid season and played well at the end of the season to get finals this year.

Essendon also got narrow wins this season but stumbled their way into finals this year.

Tightness of the ladder I can see them both finish 9th and 10th.

Its always hard to predict who will drop out. So im gonna throw two random names out there with no evidence and see how close i was to the truth in a few months time.

West Coast and Essendon.
I would love to see the Essenflogs slide out of the 8. I can't believe one of them actually thinks that wins are "definite" four months before the season has even started...

Essendon are an ordinary team who have sold the farm for minor improvement over-all and the Cats who seem to be accumulating a retirement village of a team, do they have share in a Geelong Lifestyle Village?
Geelong have five players who are 30+ on their list. Hawthorn have 7.

The average age of Geelong's side in its last game of 2019 was 26.5 years. Hawthorn's was 27 years, 1 month. Overall list age was the same, but Geelong finished the H&A on top of the ladder while Hawthorn were middle of the table and didn't play finals. Old lists that are playing well are fine. Old lists that are accomplishing nothing raise alarm bells, and Hawthorn is in the latter category. Geelong debuted more new players in 2019 than Hawthorn and will add to its youth talent pool with 2 first round and one early 2nd round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong have five players who are 30+ on their list. Hawthorn have 7.

The average age of Geelong's side in its last game of 2019 was 26.5 years. Hawthorn's was 27 years, 1 month. Overall list age was the same, but Geelong finished the H&A on top of the ladder while Hawthorn were middle of the table and didn't play finals. Old lists that are playing well are fine. Old lists that are accomplishing nothing raise alarm bells, and Hawthorn is in the latter category. Geelong debuted more new players in 2019 than Hawthorn and will add to its youth talent pool with 2 first round and one early 2nd round pick.

I am glad you brought this up

I look at the crows for an example. Only got 12 or 13 blokes aged 23 or under. An Ageing squad. But because they havent made finals in 2018 and 2019, they have decided to go the rebuild path. They should of made finals in 2018 to be honest.

To show you how much they have changed their playing list. Look at the forwards they had in 2017: Taylor Walker, Tom Lynch, Josh Jenkins, Charlie Cameron, Mitch McGovern and Eddie Betts. Once the 2020 season starts, only Walker and Lynch are from that 2017 forward line.

Geelong is an interesting one. Sure, you got some old blokes aged 30 or more, its not like they will fall off a cliff at age 30. some of those blokes will have 2 or 3 years left, possibly 4.

Mids are interesting. You can have 4 inside mids in your 22, 2 of them aged 30 years old and 2 18 year olds on the bench. I know its a stretch to have 2 30 year old mids to play on until they are 34. if thats the case, both those 18 year old mids will be 22 years old, both are old enough to be important key players.

I look at freo....

Took us a while to finally develop an Adequate replacement for a 38 year old Aaron Sandilands in a 21/22 year old sean Darcy.

People gave freo flak for giving Ballantyne another year. Year he is 32 years old. But past his prime, we only kept him as a depth player incase either Walters or Matera got injured.

I dont mind keeping the occasional 30 year old as depth especially if its a position your team hasnt got quality or quantity at that part of the ground.

Brisbane and Essendon.

Brisbane were the fairytale and the AFL feel good story last year. Couldn’t make the most of their opportunity in the finals and I feel they will fall outside the 8 next year.

Essendon were merely making up the numbers yet again and have no real star power in their midfield, just a lot of good players. Will finish between 10-14.

Essendon-Not sure they have stability at the moment.

Lions-Tougher fixture may have a downer from last season however still think they make it.

I only see one change.

I think essendon are a given to drop and i think the tigers will drop to 9th again!

Not sure about their culture and rance coming off a knee at 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back