2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Great report Axe. You covered the main points really well so there is little I can add. The training finally finished at 3:35pm after more hard running to end the session. The highlight for me was the ripping performances by Bruest and Gunston who look set for great years. Mitchington worked really hard and Morrison had a solid session. Howe looked strong and Worpel showed some extraordinary ball handling. Scrimshaw, Scully and Wingard are in better shape and all going well they will be seriously better contributors in 2020. As Axe reported Ross stood out with his marking and kicking. He is still a light build however he reads the play well and he appeared to run harder and longer. Finally Patton is a seriously long kick. He kicked a driving long low drop punt from inside the square which landed dead centre just behind the goal line. If big Jon stays on the park fasten your seat belts.

Headed out to Waverley at the rather unusual time of 1pm today to catch my first session for the year.

Only notable absentee was Ceglar. Everyone else was accounted for.

Training away from the main group were O’Meara, Jones, Nash, Glass, Mitchell, Hartley. This group were doing handball drills and boxing. Mitchell’s clean hands in the close up rapid fire handball drills were levels above the others, apart from Jaeger who is almost on the same level as Tom

First thing after the warm up was a 2.2km time trial. Very hot day today so this would have been a real test for them. Only about 20 players took part.
1st: Isaac Smith.
2nd: Will Golds. He stayed with Isaac for 3 laps until Smith pulled right away. Huge effort from Will.
3rd: Dylan Moore. Looked pretty comfortable.
Then in the next group was Ross, Stratts, Breust, CJ, Morrison, Big Boy, Worpel, Sicily and some others. Hanrahan was last.

Lots of small group work today but finished off with a match sim style drill.

Standouts for me today:

Patton – Loved everything about his session today. I didn’t realise just how good a kick he is. He is super fit and was involved in all drills and looking really good. He handled the ball like it’s on a string.

Ross – Really superb pinpoint kicking and one grab marking and just really clean skills. I’ll pick him early as one to watch this pre-season

Breust – Looks primed and ready for a huge year. Elite in all facets.

CJ – Has that real spark and energy. Elite closing speed, massive leap and thought his reading of the play was greatly improved. Intercepted opposition kicks at will. Turns what is a half chance for most into a certain intercept almost every time.

Timmy O – Looks to have real confidence. Being used as the kick out man in a couple of drills and was nailing some pretty incredible kicks to teammates.

Others worth mentioning:

Big Boy – Covered so much ground. Seemed to be everywhere.

Sicily – Just doing what he does. Intercepting and making it look easy. Making hard kicks look easy.

Chad – Elite skills. Another that makes it look easy.

Scrimshaw – Will pick up where he left off last year.

Frawley looks in ripping nick as well.

Greaves is one of the sweetest kickers off the footy I have seen.

Good to see Kosi and Walker involved in all drills.

Mitchell doing some intense straight line running on the far side of the oval. Really good to see him running hard for quite a long session. Hartley doing the same drills.

Nash boxed for ages then was on the bike. Glass ran laps and boxed. Jones went off early, just load management. Looks noticeably bigger and is fit and ready to go.

Great to see Impey out there in good spirits and full voice.

Cheers to houdinihuddo once again for his excellent use of the binoculars.

I’ll add anything I else that I think of later.
See you next week.
Was anyone played in interesting positions today?

Patton – Loved everything about his session today. I didn’t realise just how good a kick he is. He is super fit and was involved in all drills and looking really good. He handled the ball like it’s on a string.
image-asset.gif

No. Doesn't look any bigger, which is disappointing, but could simply be the Club directive.

In person you get the reality of how small he really is

Never hurt Kade Simpson. I don't mind if Ross doesn't put on the weight because it could be more of a hindrance for his game with the way that he's built.

Headed out to Waverley at the rather unusual time of 1pm today to catch my first session for the year.

Training away from the main group were O’Meara, Jones, Nash, Glass, Mitchell, Hartley. This group were doing handball drills and boxing. Mitchell’s clean hands in the close up rapid fire handball drills were levels above the others, apart from Jaeger who is almost on the same level as Tom

First thing after the warm up was a 2.2km time trial. Very hot day today so this would have been a real test for them. Only about 20 players took part.
2nd: Will Golds. He stayed with Isaac for 3 laps until Smith pulled right away. Huge effort from Will.
Then in the next group was Ross, Stratts, Breust, CJ, Morrison, Big Boy, Worpel, Sicily and some others. Hanrahan was last.

Standouts for me today:

Ross – Really superb pinpoint kicking and one grab marking and just really clean skills. I’ll pick him early as one to watch this pre-season

CJ – Has that real spark and energy. Elite closing speed, massive leap and thought his reading of the play was greatly improved. Intercepted opposition kicks at will. Turns what is a half chance for most into a certain intercept almost every time.

Timmy O – Looks to have real confidence. Being used as the kick out man in a couple of drills and was nailing some pretty incredible kicks to teammates.

Others worth mentioning:

Sicily – Just doing what he does. Intercepting and making it look easy. Making hard kicks look easy.

Greaves is one of the sweetest kickers of the footy I have seen.

Mitchell doing some intense straight line running on the far side of the oval. Really good to see him running hard for quite a long session. Hartley doing the same drills.

Nash boxed for ages then was on the bike. Glass ran laps and boxed. Jones went off early, just load management. Looks noticeably bigger and is fit and ready to go.

See you next week.
Believe Cegs was given extra time off for his wedding, which i think is this weekend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never hurt Kade Simpson. I don't mind if Ross doesn't put on the weight because it could be more of a hindrance for his game with the way that he's built.

Michael Tuck was very thin and wiry AND as strong and tough as any hawthorn player in the 80/90’s. So called size can be ver deceptive with players. I’m tipping Ross is already much stronger than when he joined, and that is all that really matters.

Michael Tuck was very thin and wiry AND as strong and tough as any hawthorn player in the 80/90’s. So called size can be ver deceptive with players. I’m tipping Ross is already much stronger than when he joined, and that is all that really matters.
Funny you mention Tuck, Noel. houdinihuddo mentioned yesterday that Ross is very much like Tuck in build and the way that he moves.

I can't wait to see Patton & Lewis up forward but it will likely mean a change of position for O'Brien. A shame as he seemed to have found his confidence up forward this year. As a defender he seemed to get lost when he had to worry about his man, the ball and other players.
Great hearing Patton is in full training. Very good kick for goal and we struggled with accuracy last year especially. We need a Burgoyne replacement (Gunston maybe) and a Stratton apprentice (Dimma??) to come through this year or next.

Funny you mention Tuck, Noel. houdinihuddo mentioned yesterday that Ross is very much like Tuck in build and the way that he moves.

I wonder if the faster, more athletic game make it harder for the wiry type to last in the league, much less thrive. I don't have a position on the question, I just note that midfielders are now the size of KPP's from 20 years ago with more tank than yesteryear's wingers. It seems that you must be able to dish out (and take) significantly more punishment now days.

There are always exceptions to every trend, of course, but it does seem the day of the light, nimble type as we remember them are over.

Standouts for me today:

Others worth mentioning:

Greaves is one of the sweetest kickers of the footy I have seen.

See you next week.
1574317111927.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back