Unofficial Preview 2023 HFC Jumper numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t understand this obsession some of you have with wanting certain players in certain numbers ?
Please explain.

I really don’t care who wears what number, as long as they are playing good footy for HFC

Yes, I see what you mean. I guess Hawthorn have had some very famous players all share the same number and the number itself becomes famous. In other situations it is nice to award the same number to a player whose father/grandfather played in a premiership with the club, e.g. Robert and Will Day in the #12. The #5 became a badge of honour since Peter Crimmins passed away and it wasn't issued for 18 years until Andy Collins was requested by the Crimmins family to wear the number.

Numbers mean a lot to some people, and they're just a number to others. Myself, I never cared what number I had on my back when I was playing, just so long as I got a jumper. However, the funny thing is when I began keeping historical records, it surprised me how interested I became recording numbers.

Yes, I see what you mean. I guess Hawthorn have had some very famous players all share the same number and the number itself becomes famous. In other situations it is nice to award the same number to a player whose father/grandfather played in a premiership with the club, e.g. Robert and Will Day in the #12. The #5 became a badge of honour since Peter Crimmins passed away and it wasn't issued for 18 years until Andy Collins was requested by the Crimmins family to wear the number.

Numbers mean a lot to some people, and they're just a number to others. Myself, I never cared what number I had on my back when I was playing, just so long as I got a jumper. However, the funny thing is when I began keeping historical records, it surprised me how interested I became recording numbers.
Good points but I’m more talking about the posts saying “insert players name” doesn’t suit “insert number”

Number 2 was Geoff Ablett’s number, played on the wing.
It’s been Chris Mews number, played full back
It’s been Roughys number, played anywhere.
None of them were similar in looks, playing style, position.

I could go thru other numbers but you get my point

Good points but I’m more talking about the posts saying “insert players name” doesn’t suit “insert number”

Number 2 was Geoff Ablett’s number, played on the wing.
It’s been Chris Mews number, played full back
It’s been Roughys number, played anywhere.
None of them were similar in looks, playing style, position.

I could go thru other numbers but you get my point
Wasn't Chris Mew CHB?

I think he drifted between the 2.
But again the point is, a number isn’t defined by a position

It isn’t defined by a similar build, similar style of player
Nah - Mew rarely played in the last line. We had Kelvin Moore at FB when Mew started and Chris Langford took over from Moore. Mew would have played FB very occasionally but never on a regular basis.

Anyway the point was not the exact position that Mew played, so let’s move on from that.

The point is, most numbers in our history, prob all are not aligned to a position so for those saying a certain player should have 23 (example) because they are a forward is just pointless.
I know the younger folk will only know 23 as being a forward, but Don Scott was not a forward.

It’s no biggy, go for it if you like. It’s just an observation

Last edited:
Anyway the point was not the exact position that Mew played, so let’s move on from that.

The point is, most numbers in our history, prob all are not aligned to a position so for those saying a certain player should have 23 (example) because they are a forward is just pointless.
I know the younger folk will only know 23 as being a forward, but Don Scott was not a forward.

You're right. I think it's evolving though. I think that over the last 30 years or so with more visibility for the sport via TV, etc. people have begun developing affiliations with numbers, particularly when players are 1/ high impact; and 2/ last for a long time. So I'm not surprised that there isn't much acknowledgement of Don in 23, or even Mew in 2.

Interestingly, it does happen more with some than others. I think 9 is now know more for Burgers than for Crawf. But again, maybe that's recency bias?

You're right. I think it's evolving though. I think that over the last 30 years or so with more visibility for the sport via TV, etc. people have begun developing affiliations with numbers, particularly when players are 1/ high impact; and 2/ last for a long time. So I'm not surprised that there isn't much acknowledgement of Don in 23, or even Mew in 2.

Interestingly, it does happen more with some than others. I think 9 is now know more for Burgers than for Crawf. But again, maybe that's recency bias?
Dipper and Crawf both did cringey stuff on tv and also won a Brownlow.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you listen to the club commentary around number selection, much of the decision making seems to be based on traits and values of a particular player. What they stand for, how they go about it and any similarities they may have to past players.

Did Don Scott want to wear 23 because of Warnie, or Jordan?

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dipierdomenico >>Burgoyne >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Crawford

I didn't see Dipper play besides watching old GFs. I saw the majority of Crawford's career and all of Burgoyne's.

It is hard for me to rank them (Burgoyne/Crawford) tbh as what Burgoyne did for us in many close/big games is very highly valued from my perspective. Whilst crawford was more consistent but probably not as damaging.

All I want to say is, for Crawford to be that far down/behind Burgoyne is not fair.

I feel as though Crawford's antics outside of footy has diminished what he did onfield. People forget how good he was.

He was an incredible player for us through the late 90s/early 2000s and one of the few reasons to go to the matches.
4 Bnfs, 4 AAs.
He was 1 vote off being a 2x Brownlow Medallist (2003 lost by 1 vote) which would've been an incredible achievement.
That along with if he was in an actual successful side during that period, would've seen him get a lot more praise and sit along the likes of Buckley, Riccuito, McLeod etc, whereas he never gets mentioned alongside these players these days.

I didn't see Dipper play besides watching old GFs. I saw the majority of Crawford's career and all of Burgoyne's.

It is hard for me to rank them (Burgoyne/Crawford) tbh as what Burgoyne did for us in many close/big games is very highly valued from my perspective. Whilst crawford was more consistent but probably not as damaging.

All I want to say is, for Crawford to be that far down/behind Burgoyne is not fair.

I feel as though Crawford's antics outside of footy has diminished what he did onfield. People forget how good he was.

He was an incredible player for us through the late 90s/early 2000s and one of the few reasons to go to the matches.
4 Bnfs, 4 AAs.
He was 1 vote off being a 2x Brownlow Medallist (2003 lost by 1 vote) which would've been an incredible achievement.
That along with if he was in an actual successful side during that period, would've seen him get a lot more praise and sit along the likes of Buckley, Riccuito, McLeod etc, whereas he never gets mentioned alongside these players these days.
Not to forget he was captain during those years

I still rank Dipper then burgoyne then crawford

Not to forget he was captain during those years

I still rank Dipper then burgoyne then crawford
Crawford’s AA gongs came in seasons where we finished between 8th - 13th.

For the majority of his career he was surrounded by inferior players to Burgoyne and Dipper, and had to carry a heavier load.

Those two were clearly also great players, but have more flags and are perceived superior due to playing in better teams.

Crawford was as good, if not better, than those other two for mine.

In older footage of dipper, he always seemed to be the one cleaning up plays which had gone wrong. A bit like Burgoyne and Sammy.

Crawf had certainly above average skills, may be not super elite, but his fitness meant he was devastating at the end of quarters, in an era when heavy rotations hadn’t come in yet

Crawford’s AA gongs came in seasons where we finished between 8th - 13th.

For the majority of his career he was surrounded by inferior players to Burgoyne and Dipper, and had to carry a heavier load.

Those two were clearly also great players, but have more flags and are perceived superior due to playing in better teams.

Crawford was as good, if not better, than those other two for mine.
I have seen all their careers. For impact I would still rank them in that order for the same reason I would rank Hodge over Mitchell even though Mitchell was more consistent

I have seen all their careers. For impact I would still rank them in that order for the same reason I would rank Hodge over Mitchell even though Mitchell was more consistent
And I would too.

Great players shine in grand finals and Dipper's effort in nullifying Breidis in 78 and his heroics in 89 were tremendous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back