Unofficial Preview 2023 HFC Jumper numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

19 vacant.
Interesting. Didn't see that one coming.

Based my guesses around that not being the case, and looking for the player most deserving.
Also, assumed that Ward would get a new number, given the presence of Schoenmakers and Hendrie at that meeting, and only a low/significant number would justify that change.

Well the numbers are in and some were a surprise to the posters here. The fact only Newcombe & Reeves changed numbers was a surprise given the number of posters who wanted certain players to have certain numbers.

They have their numbers now so lets band together on wishing them all the best and success.

Interesting. Didn't see that one coming.

Based my guesses around that not being the case, and looking for the player most deserving.
Also, assumed that Ward would get a new number, given the presence of Schoenmakers and Hendrie at that meeting, and only a low/significant number would justify that change.
I think Schoenmakers is on the Board for past players.

Must be keeping 19 for a big fish in 2024. Who's with me on this ?
Happy If You Say So GIF

Wrong McCabe.

Luke to make a comeback as a train-on pick to teach our young guns how to really crash-and-bash, line-in-the-sand style.
Maybe he'll finally get a Brownlow vote.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understand it for things like daicos or Cyril as a one off but seems a bit OTT otherwise but each to their own
Exactly.

It’s not like Lethal was handing over a ceremonial #3 jumper to Jonny Hay or Anthony Condon 20 - 25 years ago.

It’s simply a crass marketing gimmick designed to maintain relevance during off season.

Nothing more.

Exactly.

It’s not like Lethal was handing over a ceremonial #3 jumper to Jonny Hay or Anthony Condon 20 - 25 years ago.

It’s simply a crass marketing gimmick designed to maintain relevance during off season.

Nothing more.
That's a very cynical take.

I'm sure the past players (particularly the ones who haven't otherwise remained connected to the footy industry with their post-footy careers) love being brought back in and given the opportunity to share the history of their old jumper number with the next gen.

And likewise for the current young players. To get to meet these champions of the club and get first-hand accounts of the feats performed in their shared jumper number. To know that they're not just employed for however long to play some footy and hopefully win some premierships, eventually to be moved on and forgotten. That they've got the rare opportunity to contribute to legacies that span decades and that like the former players presenting them their jumper, they will have a place at the club for the rest of their life.

I think it's a great initiative and I like what they're trying to achieve through it. They're making the club feel like a club again. Not a cold corporation.

That's a very cynical take.

I'm sure the past players (particularly the ones who haven't otherwise remained connected to the footy industry with their post-footy careers) love being brought back in and given the opportunity to share the history of their old jumper number with the next gen.

And likewise for the current young players. To get to meet these champions of the club and get first-hand accounts of the feats performed in their shared jumper number. To know that they're not just employed for however long to play some footy and hopefully win some premierships, eventually to be moved on and forgotten. That they've got the rare opportunity to contribute to legacies that span decades and that like the former players presenting them their jumper, they will have a place at the club for the rest of their life.

I think it's a great initiative and I like what they're trying to achieve through it. They're making the club feel like a club again. Not a cold corporation.
I'm with you. A great initiative on a number of fronts. Firstly, to reconnect with club greats to make them feel involved again.
Secondly for the young players to learn about the rich history of the club from these greats.
Thirdly to understand the importance and the history behind some of these numbers, and what has been achieved by those players.
To think we had blokes like Thorp and Morton in the number 19. Understand why Sam has shelved the number this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back