Is Australia racist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Very difficult for people over 50 to get a job in some sectors.
I work with many people over 50. The everyday basics in an office these days are Excel, Word etc. Computer systems are used more & more and getting them to do something vs getting a 20 year old to do the same task is night and day. Literally 1/4 of the time for the younger person.

It depends on what you're doing though because in a big business their experience goes a long way. Their knowledge mixed with a youngsters technical skills are a good combo but when things need to be done quickly I know who I'm asking. I would never begrudge a small business owner who is probably running barely above profit for not hiring someone 50+ in an office.

'Some sectors' are just like that too. If I'm a brickie I'd be 'discriminatory' for sure. Why hire a 50kg girl to load wheelbarrows and carry heavy stuff (and pay them the same wage) when I can hire a 95kg footy player who can quite obviously work more efficiently. We need to wake up about this stuff, not everyone is entitled to the job they want, especially when it harms others and/or there are people better suited.

Very difficult for people over 50 to get a job in some sectors.
We had a boss a few years ago who announced he would not hire any outsiders or promote anyone from within if they were over 40 as he wanted fresh ideas. Three years later, productivity is shot, the staff who could get decent jobs in the region left, and customers look elsewhere. He did get a promotion and award for diversity though.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately, inheritance greatly favours some but not many. For most, your economic situation is your own doing via school, work, effort etc.

But yes I agree with what you said. It isn't completely 100% eliminated, maybe it never will be, but it's not anywhere close to as bad as people often claim it is

Well my parents economic situation allowed me to live at home and do uni, if they Couldn’t I’d have had to go straight to work, so yes I inherited a good situation there.

Well my parents economic situation allowed me to live at home and do uni, if they Couldn’t I’d have had to go straight to work, so yes I inherited a good situation there.
I can't say I like or agree with the thinking we should feel guilty because our parents worked and other people's chose not to...

Whilst I feel bad for any child brought into the world by shitty parents, that's on the parents. Why should the world change to appease them?

Most importantly, this has absolutely zero to do with race which was the question - is australia racist?

I can't say I like or agree with the thinking we should feel guilty because our parents worked and other people's chose not to...

Whilst I feel bad for any child brought into the world by shitty parents, that's on the parents. Why should the world change to appease them?

Most importantly, this has absolutely zero to do with race which was the question - is australia racist?

I wouldn’t say zero, because my answer is that it is racist in some areas but a bigger issue is economic inequality, that affects people’s future more than race (in my opinion of course)

I'd suggest people go spend some time with minorities in this country and then come back to answer the question. It's a hell of a lot better than it was 5/10/15 years ago but to pretend that racism doesn't exist here (and everywhere else in the world) is absolutely head in the sand stuff.

I work with many people over 50. The everyday basics in an office these days are Excel, Word etc. Computer systems are used more & more and getting them to do something vs getting a 20 year old to do the same task is night and day. Literally 1/4 of the time for the younger person.

It depends on what you're doing though because in a big business their experience goes a long way. Their knowledge mixed with a youngsters technical skills are a good combo but when things need to be done quickly I know who I'm asking. I would never begrudge a small business owner who is probably running barely above profit for not hiring someone 50+ in an office.

'Some sectors' are just like that too. If I'm a brickie I'd be 'discriminatory' for sure. Why hire a 50kg girl to load wheelbarrows and carry heavy stuff (and pay them the same wage) when I can hire a 95kg footy player who can quite obviously work more efficiently. We need to wake up about this stuff, not everyone is entitled to the job they want, especially when it harms others and/or there are people better suited.
Very reasonable post

do they do the same if they arent white?

Anyone can play the label game. Black, white, Asian, whatever. But there is a pretty narrow band of targets. It's either white privilege, male privilege, or white male privilege.

I've heard of 'white privilege' but never 'Chinese privilege'...

Which is funny because Chinese Australians and other Asian Australians are a very successful recent migrant group. You aren't inherently disadvantaged if you are born into an ethnically Chinese family in Australia whether you are the first generation and your parents arrived 5 minutes ago (no Coronavirus) or are second/third generation or in the rare case descendent from the gold rush migrants. It's a factor of culture/family and wealth, has nothing to do with skin colour, facial features etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's the Amish....There's also retreats you can go to, including joining a Hippie commune....There'll still likely be a fair bit of pot there though.

alcoholics anonymous would be the best place to go to for support in sobriety, short of finding a circle of friends who are non-drinkers.

Yet to find an alcohol free hippie commune. I know of one where a bloke brews beer with weed and mushrooms.

I agree.
'women in management programs' ie giving women management roles strictly because they are women = sexist
hundreds of programs and initiatives for indigenous people only, rather than everyone equally and evenly = racist

Can't see where we are ageist, however?
Me either.

We obviously let children post online.

But you don't see where we're ageist?

I'd suggest people go spend some time with minorities in this country and then come back to answer the question. It's a hell of a lot better than it was 5/10/15 years ago but to pretend that racism doesn't exist here (and everywhere else in the world) is absolutely head in the sand stuff.

Everyone is racists in some way - whether it be 1% or 100% - everyone is racist.

Until you've been amongst Aboriginal communities that abuse alcohol you can't compare. It's something else entirely.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
I have. I have also been in housing commission buildings/suburbs in poor white communities that are equally as horrific and a place no child should be brought up in.

I have. I have also been in housing commission buildings/suburbs in poor white communities that are equally as horrific and a place no child should be brought up in.
I have been brought up in them and I disagree 100%. The Aboriginal area after dark made the unemployed white area look like Downton Abbey. It continues to this day. Every single night. The alcohol abuse and everything that flowed from that as a collective was incredibly worse than non Aboriginal as a collective.

I disagree that it's better than it was 5 - 15 years ago.

It's been going backwards since 9/11, well more likely Bali, and "children overboard".

In the late 80s there were towns I wouldn't go into cos the cops had reputations for killing black people. Go fruit picking in the Riverina it was always worth checking with the local blackfellas which places weren't safe.

In the late 80s some campaigner in a pub in Melbourne said that if we were round his place (western qld) after we had words then he'd have shot me. He spellet out exactly how he'd have done it to. Took all my self control not to * him up badly. (He was tough outback redneck too so no there'd be no clean fighting on my part. He wouldn't have known what hit him.)

Its not like that now but within 5 years of the incidents I described, by 1995 at the latest, it was like another country. I feel it's worse now than it was between '95 and 2010.

I have been brought up in them and I disagree 100%. The Aboriginal area after dark made the unemployed white area look like Downton Abbey. It continues to this day. Every single night. The alcohol abuse and everything that flowed from that as a collective was incredibly worse than non Aboriginal as a collective.

It's incredibly bad in some places.

Imo its a symptom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back