Game Day Round 1, 2020: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 22 March 2020, 3.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We kick off the new season with a home match at an empty MCG against the Lions who lost Hodge but gained Birchall in the off season. Clarkson's record against Fagan isn't exactly stellar, so he's expecting the return of Tom Mitchell and the acquisitions of Patton and Frost power the Hawks to victory.

Note due to the shortened game length, the start of the match is now 3.40pm, not 3.20pm.

Last edited:
Going in with a tall team , actually really looking to seeing how it functions.
Really need good delivery and bang for buck with that setup .

Lions have obviously handled us very comfortably recently so I think this will be a good gauge for us .
They will be strong again especially up at home.

Midfield depth looks good with options now , great to Mitchell back but he will take time to get into the groove.

Early wins vital in a short season .
Hawks by 8 👍

Hope we play a lot better than we did in the Marsh series, repeat that standard and we'll lose by 7 goals.

Strange feeling not going to the G today.

Great, that'll give me an extra 20mins to get to the ground.

Oh, wait... :'(

On this point, a couple of friends know a secret back entrance to the MCG and are planning to be there.

... to use the toilets and then go home!

Even though my place of employment is closed to the public I am working from midday till 3 pm today, so perfect timing for the game.

With a shortened season early wins are vital because 9 wins could see you playing Finals, a bad start to the first 4 games will see you under the pump very quickly.

We really need to lock down on their small to mid sized forwards, Cameron and Rayner pose big threats.

Here’s hoping that we can get off to a flyer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got absolutely no idea how we are going to go today.
We generally perform well under unusual circumstances; eg the phil walsh game, clarko out with illness, the snow in canberra. I feel like we can bank on the lads being switched on and up for the battle, the problem is that if Brisbane have a similar intensity/level of commitment then imo they've got us covered.

Hard to know how I feel about this game and it's not because the lack of crowd. I haven't watch any of this rounds games unti l last night and I actually found I didn't mind it which surprised me.

The thing which is making me apprehensive is that we really don't know if the season will last the journey. Why invest so much energy into the game when the next week it could be all called off and it's all for nothing? Take it one week at a time I suppose. 🤷‍♂️

Even though my place of employment is closed to the public I am working from midday till 3 pm today, so perfect timing for the game.

With a shortened season early wins are vital because 9 wins could see you playing Finals, a bad start to the first 4 games will see you under the pump very quickly.

We really need to lock down on their small to mid sized forwards, Cameron and Rayner pose big threats.

Here’s hoping that we can get off to a flyer.

I think it's optimistic to think that this season will continue, even in its compromised state. There are reports that other States are strongly considering following Tasmania's lead and requiring all visitors to enter quarantine for 14 days. If this proceeds, it would be curtains for the AFL season for the time being.

I think it's optimistic to think that this season will continue, even in its compromised state. There are reports that other States are strongly considering following Tasmania's lead and requiring all visitors to enter quarantine for 14 days. If this proceeds, it would be curtains for the AFL season for the time being.
Correct.

I think its a real possibility that 2020 gets scrapped and we reload for 2021.

Opens up a whole can of worms for contracts ect ect.

I've got absolutely no idea how we are going to go today.

Exactly the same. I feel pretty pessimistic about our chances, but I suspect that is more the spirit of the age biasing my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back