Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next year is key, for instance

The best plan is to bid every year to where it twice and put a new bid every year rather than trade off on twice a year but never anytime else

The next year is key, for instance

The best plan is to bid every year to where it twice and put a new bid every year rather than trade off on twice a year but never anytime else

I think you'll find that there won't be so much as a bid every year, but rather an agreement that allows the prison bars to be worn in Showdowns on a permanent basis. That in itself is a great start.

It's a 20 year long game, not something that is going to get done over the next 2-3 years, but it will happen.

The way forward is it has to start with players being vocal about wanting to wear it more frequently when the topic is raised whilst the admin keeps right lipped to let the public support grow IMO.

Get the players on board, the media, disclose membership surveys that show it's the preference of the club members, and work from there.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

In this situation there is no possibility of a long game without a short game.

Yep ... but I wonder how long is the long game until the passion to wear the bars primarily will wither among the future generations beyond a point of no return. At least at the moment there appears to be a fervor for them by many Port supporters.

I think you'll find that there won't be so much as a bid every year, but rather an agreement that allows the prison bars to be worn in Showdowns on a permanent basis. That in itself is a great start.

It's a 20 year long game, not something that is going to get done over the next 2-3 years, but it will happen.

I feel that 20 years is too long. I think we need to be wearing it a handful of times per years within 10 years.

We've put this debate in the public domain for about 48 hours and we've already got a prominent journo penning a piece on the official AFL website telling us we should wear it every week not just for Showdowns.

It's what I've been saying for years - if this becomes an issue that football people outside Port Adelaide actually talk about and debate, the overwhelming majority of media, opposition clubs and opposition fans are going to take our side. Two reasons for this - 1) our argument is virtually impossible to deny and 2) everyone hates Eddie and Collingwood.

Keep pushing.

I feel that 20 years is too long. I think we need to be wearing it a handful of times per years within 10 years.

It has been 6 years since we last wore the prison bars. These things move extremely slowly. I'd be ecstatic if we're able to wear it for all Showdowns, the ANZAC Day game, any form of Heritage round if they ever bring that back, and all Finals excluding Collingwood by the end of this decade.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it moves faster too. But given the pace it has gone at to date, along with the simple fact that Eddie won't be going away any time soon, this is going to drag out for quite a while yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has been 6 years since we last wore the prison bars. These things move extremely slowly. I'd be ecstatic if we're able to wear it for all Showdowns, the ANZAC Day game, any form of Heritage round if they ever bring that back, and all Finals excluding Collingwood by the end of this decade.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it moves faster too. But given the pace it has gone at to date, along with the simple fact that Eddie won't be going away any time soon, this is going to drag out for quite a while yet.

I think his heart begs to differ.

Now we’ve got Kevin Sheedy going in to bat for us.

Wow, this is well planned, well executed and relentless.

Dare I say it seems to be Port Adelaide.

The club needs to stop saying it's a once/twice a year guernsey.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
No, we need to start supporting the club in this.
Division at this stage would be disastrous.

The club needs to stop saying it's a once/twice a year guernsey.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That can come later. We're not gonna go from not wearing it for 6 years to it becoming our home guernsey in one step. Every time we get one request granted, it makes it easier to get the next request granted.

It’s literally game time!
We’ve gone through the selection options ad infinitum, now the coach has selected the team and tactics, we now all have to pull together to make sure we effing win!

Even if our favourite wasn’t picked!

Port's Media Release doesn't help our long-term cause imo.
I thought I used this quote in this thread but in was in a thread chiwigi started called Heritage Watch in Feb 2019.

..... All this will not be finished in the first one hundred days. Nor will it be finished in the first one thousand days, nor in the life of this Administration, nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. But let us begin.

Port have finally stepped up and said we are going to try and make this a permanent thing. We have begun!!
Once a year is the first step not the final step in the marathon.

In the past we have tipped toed around this, we now have said we want it every year. Once becomes more than once over time. You always have to take the first step. This is a marathon. Come GF day sometime down the track and we play a dark jumper team, the dills at the AFL will say there is a clash, we now have a perfect alternative jumper that our fans will be happy to swap for the BIB jumper.

Look how things have changed over 17 years;
2003 Heritage Round we manage to be allowed to wear 1914 Invincibles PB's.

2004 Heritage Round - to keep it calm wear the Magenta after asking for the PBs.

2005 Heritage Round - wear the baby blue from 1870 after asking for the PBs..

2006 Heritage Round theme 1980's. Gilligan asks us to wear an 80's training jumper. We say get stuffed.

2007 Heritage Round theme 1970's. AFL embarrassed so allow us to wear 1977 jumper, but force an agreement between us and Collingwood, that AFL say we can wear it or any future heritage rounds provided not against Collingwood.

2008 AFL piss their pants and mysteriously scrap heritage round.

2013 get to wear it for last home game at Footy Park. Koch and Cardone smoothed it over with McGuire we were in the s**t financially and this would help us, and AFL didn't have to give us extra $$$.

2014 a bonus, as Mark The Moron Evans doesn't think the average footy viewer with HD TV can't recognise the difference between a normal Port jumper and Richmond jumper in the EF. Evans opened the gate, we pounced and said bullshit, if we have to wear a lot of white even though we are the home team, we will wear our heritage jumper and not a clash jumper. The AFL couldn't say no, Collingwood were irrelevant they finished 11th and would never see any September action, so it all happened very quickly out of thin air.

So, history shows things aren't set in stone.

I posted this in 2005
http://portadelaidefc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=103764
Port behind bars for Heritage round
3:24:46 PM Mon 7 July, 2003

For the first time since joining the AFL in 1997 Port Adelaide will finally be able to wear its traditional black and white stripes in a league match.

The AFL gave the Power approval to wear its former SANFL jumper when Port hosts Carlton at AAMI Stadium in round 19 as part of the AFL’s heritage round.

The decision by the AFL has outraged Collingwood – which has long claimed sole ownership of the black and white stripes with president Eddie McGuire vowing his club would never change its jumper even when playing as the away team against Port – whose regular AFL jumper is black, white and teal.

The Magpies refused to comment over the AFL’s decision on Tuesday, which is sure to add extra spice to the growing rivalry between Collingwood and Port Adelaide.

However the AFL stressed the decision to allow Port to wear its famous “black and white prison bar” jumper was for one game only.

“The AFL is very aware of the sensitivity of the issues surrounding club colours and their importance to supporters,” AFL chief executive Wayne Jackson said of the decision to also allow Port to wear black and white stripes.

"The Port Adelaide Football Club has a long and proud history in this guernsey, wearing the colours from 1902, and will only wear the 'prison bar' design for this heritage weekend.

Port Adelaide chief executive Brian Cunningham was delighted the club will wear a replica of the jumper it wore in 1914 when the club not only won the SANFL premiership without losing a match but ended that memorable season by beating VFL premiers Carlton to be crowned Australia’s top club.

Port says it 'prison bars' strip is distinct from any other jumper in the AFL, including Collingwood’s.

“We’re delighted the AFL has chosen to support our decision to wear our 1914 guernsey in Round 19,” said Cunningham.

“We believe it is a distinctly different guernsey, dating back pre-World War I, with a significant history of success, and significantly success against Carlton – the team we play in Round 19 – in the Champions of Australia tournament (in 1914).

“This is a one-off, and we hope all of our supporters embrace the decision to wear this true heritage guernsey.”

As part of the deal the Power has also agreed to wear its predominantly teal jumper for the next three away games it plays against Collingwood.

However Collingwood has consistently refused to alter its black and white striped uniform even when playing Port as the away team despite its jumper being extremely difficult to tell apart from the Power’s regular black, white and teal guernsey.

“As we have said on several occasions, we believe it is important for AFL football supporters that every club has a true clash guernsey, and we are in the process of developing ours with our manufacturer Nike,” Cunningham said.

The AFL has consistently warned clubs about the need to develop an alternate guernsey due to the number of clubs who wear similar colored jumpers but so far only St Kilda and West Coast have adopted an alternate jumper.

And this one...........

http://portadelaidefc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=103673
Heritage Weekend guerneys – AFL statement
2:51:16 PM Mon 7 July, 2003

The following is an AFL media release announcing the Power's decision to wear a replica guernsey of the one worn in 1914.

AFL Chief Executive Officer Wayne Jackson today announced the AFL had made a ruling on the guernsey Port Adelaide would wear for its Round 19 Heritage Weekend match against Carlton at AAMI Stadium.

Mr Jackson said Port Adelaide had made an approach to wear a replica of the guernsey the club wore in 1914, when it beat Carlton to claim the title of Champions of Australia. It was from this SANFL club that the current AFL club evolved.

Port Adelaide went through the 1914 SANFL season undefeated -- the only occasion any team has done so in senior competition in South Australia -- and then beat Carlton, who had won the VFL Premiership over South Melbourne, by 34 points at Adelaide Oval, 9.16 (70) to 5.6 (36), to be undefeated Australian Champions.

Mr Jackson said the AFL had discussed the issue and resolved to allow Port Adelaide to wear a black and white 'prison bar' guernsey that it wore in the SANFL competition from 1902, for that match against Carlton.

This approval was specifically, and only, for the Heritage match against Carlton. Heritage matches are not part of the AFL's 2004 season planning.

Carlton will also wear a heritage guernsey of their choice for the game, Mr Jackson said.

"The AFL is very aware of the sensitivity of the issues surrounding club colours and their importance to supporters.

"The Port Adelaide Football Club has a long and proud history in this guernsey, wearing the colours from 1902, and will only wear the 'prison bar' design for this Heritage weekend.

"Further, the club has agreed with the AFL to wear an alternate clash predominantly teal strip for away matches against the Collingwood Football Club for the next three seasons."

Mr Jackson said the AFL also wishes to advise that the Fremantle Football Club will wear a red and white styled guernsey from the Fremantle side of the late 19th century, for its match against the Kangaroos at the MCG.

"The Sydney Swans strongly supported Fremantle's desire to recognise its historical link to the Fremantle region," Mr Jackson said.

==========
This is a cut and paste from the Big Footy thread where I posted these 2 articles.

From Rucci's article.

But the AFL says the Power must not wear black and white for three years after first donning the prison-bar jumper in heritage week against Carlton in 2003.

"That was a verbal agreement with the AFL - and we will honour it," said James, who was not with the Power when the deal was struck with the league.

"Our preference was to wear black and white because that is the heritage of our club; they are the colours to which many of our supporters have a strong affinity.

"The AFL has asked us to stay away from black and white for three years. We'll do that to avoid a messy debate.

So if I understand correctly, in 2003 Port asks the AFL to wear the 1914 prison bar gurnsey for the hertiage round and as a trade off, the next 3 away games against Collingwood, we agree to the AFL's request to wear a teal gurnsey. That is the deal.

Last edited:
That can come later. We're not gonna go from not wearing it for 6 years to it becoming our home guernsey in one step. Every time we get one request granted, it makes it easier to get the next request granted.

Yep!

Remember how quickly our current guernsey went from obscure one off to full time home guernsey.

Once they're in the public eye a couple of times a year, and Collingwood carry on without even noticing, they become much more widely popular and accepted amongst both supporters and the wider AFL community, and the movement to have them full time grows and the resistence to having them full time lessens.

Dear Members,

It’s not important…unless you make it important.
It’s a little life lesson, which rings louder today than it ever has.

As people all over the world tackle the dual impact of a health crisis and the resultant financial hardship incurred trying to stay safe, it has forced many of us to re-evaluate what is really important in our lives.

Not surprisingly… family, community and a sense of belonging have rarely felt so essential.

As the Prison Bar debate rose up again this week, it reaffirmed once more that unless you are part of the Port Adelaide family and really understand what this iconic guernsey means to this football Club and its people…It’s easy to dismiss its significance.

To hear media commentators bemoaning the fact that the issue was being discussed again, and the odd opportunistic supporters of other clubs trying to roll out the old argument that somehow the Port Adelaide Football Club playing in the AFL today, isn’t the same Club that was born in 1870 was as laughable as it was understandable. They just don’t get it.

Which is precisely why the fight must go on.
It’s not important unless we make it important.

The reality is that our history matters.
For 150 years, the Port Adelaide Football Club has been a beacon for the game of Australian Football.
It has toiled, often in the face of great hardship, to be the best football Club it could be.
It has produced champions and champion teams at a rate unparalleled in sport in this country, as we’ve seen just this week with two more Port Adelaide players recognised in the Australian Football Hall of Fame. Hearty congratulations to Greg Phillips and his family and to the family of the late, great John Abley. We felt your pride as we recounted those champions deeds in that iconic black-and-white guernsey.

Most importantly, the Port Adelaide Football Club, through heroes such as Abley and Phillips, has provided hope, identity, purpose and joy for its people…the legion of supporters who have been both inspired and energised by the deeds of their Club, but equally have been there to fight for it and lift it through periods of despair and risk.

Since 1902, the Prison Bar guernsey has been the embodiment of our Club’s values.
It is more than a uniform.
It’s one of our games great treasures, as Nathan Buckley, David Parkin, Kevin Sheedy, Dennis Cometti and many other informed and educated students of Australian Football have graciously acknowledged.

When we chose to elevate the Club onto the national stage in 1997, we understood that it would mean that we could not wear the Prison Bars on a week to week basis in the AFL, or carry the Magpie emblem on our AFL guernsey.
We’re not asking for that.

We are simply asking to wear the Prison Bar guernsey twice a year in Showdowns as a permanent nod to its significance to our Club, our community and more broadly the contribution it has made to the heritage of Australian football. This rivalry embodies everything great about football in this state, and to wear our traditional prison bar strip in these games just adds to that.

We believe it is an important matter, and we look forward to discussing the proposition further with the AFL in the coming weeks.

Can’t wait for the Showdown!!

KT

It’s one of our games great treasures, as Nathan Buckley, David Parkin, Kevin Sheedy, Dennis Cometti and many other informed and educated students of Australian Football have graciously acknowledged.

WHACK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back