Opinion MODERATE ideas for a 'fairer' AFL without the hyperbole of VIC & non-VIC trolls. TROLLS FROM BOTH SIDES PLEASE KEEP OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the price of tickets at Optus Stadium cover the loss of income the AFL will lose from changing the T&C of the AFL members?
AFL members could still be allowed the same level of access especially with an 80,000 seater, cutting out the MCC members would cover the loss of seats.

Infact, you could greatly boost AFL member revenue if the GF was rotated around states and people in those states bought it for access, would massively increase the member base 😉

AFL members could still be allowed the same level of access especially with an 80,000 seater, cutting out the MCC members would cover the loss of seats.

Infact, you could greatly boost AFL member revenue if the GF was rotated around states and people in those states bought it for access, would massively increase the member base 😉

....and this is why we can't discuss things intellectually when people don't understand the basics of the AFL Membership system :rolleyes:

AFL Gold Members currently have a pretty high chance of getting Grand Final tickets every year-- by moving the Grand Final it would change their ability to access the Grand Final (because it's no longer at a ground that AFL membership normally gives access to). There would be an ACCC complaint about changes to T&C, especially as members now wait 10-12 years to get to Gold membership.

Well then to this point HQ would disagree with you in regard to 'big enough', it is a business after all where revenue is at the top of the list.

So I'd argue that narrative from HQ won't be changing by that time, if at all.

In a perfect world, we've have an equal distribution of clubs, market, stadium capacity etc. to avoid what is viewed as a vic favouring deal.
I disagree with HQ on this extended MCG deal already so wouldn’t be the first time 😂

In my view, if a market can guarantee an instant sellout, a large buzz and excitement for the match with real passion, and a stadium large enough (I’d say 80,000+, maybe 70,000), then that should be enough for the GF really.

And honestly about market share, Perth would give you a twilight/night time GF (whist still having a game in daylight) and increase the TV market share of the Grand Final the most? That would be a serious factor involved

Last edited:

....and this is why we can't discuss things intellectually when people don't understand the basics of the AFL Membership system :rolleyes:

AFL Gold Members currently have a pretty high chance of getting Grand Final tickets every year-- by moving the Grand Final it would change their ability to access the Grand Final (because it's no longer at a ground that AFL membership normally gives access to). There would be an ACCC complaint about changes to T&C, especially as members now wait 10-12 years to get to Gold membership.
I mean in that case you just give notice of the change of conditions in advance (1 year) in the T&C and ask people if they agree. If they don’t want to they can not purchase their AFL membership the year after. That’s an easy and transparent way to handle it

I mean in that case you just give notice of the change of conditions in advance (1 year) in the T&C and ask people if they agree. If they don’t want to they can not purchase their AFL membership the year after. That’s an easy and transparent way to handle it

As I said--- you clearly have little understanding about AFL memberships :rolleyes:

Considering there's a process to move people through different categories (Silver to Gold) taking 10+ years your suggestion would upset more people (the majority of AFL members) than it would make happy by moving a Grand Final.

Not sure why we're even discussing this as a serious idea anyway---it's still over 30 years away.

And like I've explained to you ad nauseum, enjoy your misery, struggle whatever you want to call it. No need to get personal though, your issues are not with me.

Accept the fact that the vic govt. should also be on your sh1t list, you can't solely blame HQ for the gf deal.
Why though?

its literally the victorian governments job to get the best deal it can on behalf of the taxpayers.

Just like if this gf ends up being a bidding war, i will be incandescent with rage if the wa government gives up anything more than upgrades to wa stadiums etc

now that the bar is set.

Well then to this point HQ would disagree with you in regard to 'big enough', it is a business after all where revenue is at the top of the list.

So I'd argue that narrative from HQ won't be changing by that time, if at all.

In a perfect world, we've have an equal distribution of clubs, market, stadium capacity etc. to avoid what is viewed as a vic favouring deal.
By the end of the initial gf contract Perth is predicted to be the size melbourne was when the eagles won their first gf

As I said--- you clearly have little understanding about AFL memberships :rolleyes:

Considering there's a process to move people through different categories (Silver to Gold) taking 10+ years your suggestion would upset more people (the majority of AFL members) than it would make happy by moving a Grand Final.

Not sure why we're even discussing this as a serious idea anyway---it's still over 30 years away.
And moving it away from the MCG will annoy all the MCC members, what’s your point? Somebody will always be annoyed at changes like this, as long as people’s legal rights aren’t infringed it’s not an issue.

And I agree you would lose some AFL members by changing it, but let’s say the change is Perth gets to host a GF once every 3 years. I’d bet that atleast 90% of members, if not more would stay on for the chance of attending those 2 years (plus some would still get access to the interstate GF anyways).

There are ways to structure it so that it would increase revenue overall for the AFL, gives states an incentive for large scale stadium upgrades, lead to fairer outcomes, and make the competition truly national. That’s why it was so short sighted to sign it away for 37 more years total and especially the extra 20.

I do agree this is a pretty pointless back and forth we are having 😂 For all I’ve said there’s basically no chance anything changes in the contracts and we have to wait till 2057. The AFL won’t suddenly rip up a contract they only signed a few years ago.

Riiiiight

so we are told “lol too long snooze you lose” when its 15 years out

And “wtf are you talking about it now” when its 30 years out.

Youre a genius you are

Last edited by a moderator:
We all know that is the problem, we are trying to make the old State League template fit a national comp & many cant accept change, hang on to yesterday as if their life depended on it.

Trying to make a national comp in a large sparse continent where half the population lives in 2 cities .. one of which doesn’t play Aussie Rules like the rest of the world.
Get your whinging Pom glasses off and be glad your team is filthy rich and has a whole sate behind it.

I disagree with HQ on this extended MCG deal already so wouldn’t be the first time 😂

In my view, if a market can guarantee an instant sellout, a large buzz and excitement for the match with real passion, and a stadium large enough (I’d say 80,000+, maybe 70,000), then that should be enough for the GF really.

And honestly about market share, Perth would give you a twilight/night time GF (whist still having a game in daylight) and increase the TV market share of the Grand Final the most? That would be a serious factor involved

Like I said, HQ would disagree with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why though?

its literally the victorian governments job to get the best deal it can on behalf of the taxpayers.

Just like if this gf ends up being a bidding war, i will be incandescent with rage if the wa government gives up anything more than upgrades to wa stadiums etc

now that the bar is set.

Yes literally for their constituents, not the rest of the country.

Riiiiight

so we are told “lol too long snooze you lose” when its 15 years out

And “wtf are you talking about it now” when its 30 years out.

Youre a fu**en genius you are

Melting again eh, Kranky?

Is your go-to when you realise you're wrong to just go into swearing rant mode?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back