Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If you believe the old "talls take longer" adage, then adding McAsey and Worell now is the right move. I'd feel infinitely more comfortable getting McAsey up to speed while we still have Talia in the side than trying to find his replacement in a couple of years when he's done.

I wonder how many of us in this thread will come back and say how we shouldn't overpay for him ala Lever at the end of next season.

Hard to say. Different situation and the problem with Levers position was that he was really just downhill skiing seeing he was just an intercept defender.

If McAsey is shutting down a man (to an adequate degree) and giving Lever like performance, he's worth every cent we pay him and probably some more.

Played one or maybe 2 good games. I'm not offering a contract just yet, but I'll hold my judgement

Any contract would be at base pay, but I'm happy to with the last two games.

After all he's shown some contested marking ability.

Any contract would be at base pay, but I'm happy to with the last two games.

After all he's shown some contested marking ability.
He’s actually had 4 good games dating back to the Essendon game. People just don’t see a lot that he does, basically unless he’s taking pack marks.

Played one or maybe 2 good games. I'm not offering a contract just yet, but I'll hold my judgement
He probably played the best game from one of our tall forwards all year.

Doesn't have to be a big contract

He’s actually had 4 good games dating back to the Essendon game. People just don’t see a lot that he does, basically unless he’s taking pack marks.

It is going to be what keeps him in the side, long term. Well, that and goals/score involvements, good defense and everything else you want from a forward.

Still, I'd like Himmelberg to still gain another 5-6 kg seeing I reckon he's rather undersized. That said, I'd say moving from surefire delist to I'd be happy to retain is a pretty good effort, even if he does go.

He probably played the best game from one of our tall forwards all year.

Doesn't have to be a big contract
Very similar to Tex's game v Essendon, and then you have the one where he kicked 3 v the saints, but you're right, it's a low bar at the moment for our forwards.

If he can keep it up to the end of the year, I'd sign him up for sure.

Look, we drafted another Ken McGregor with pick 6 in the National draft. Are we happy with that?

If he ends up that good it'd be a relief from where we're currently at.

McGregor at his best was a top flight CHB. He got largely displaced from there overtime because Bock was elite at that role.

Exactly. People miss this but he runs his guts out for a youngster and gets to a lot of contests. Rarely lets himself get stuck behind the contest either, will always try and force himself to the front, unlike some of our other more senior forwards.

Like most, his biggest failing at the moment is his fitness, which is why he goes in and out of games. Once he gets his engine to AFL standard he will be a star.

Not his fault our previous coaches didn't play him unless Tex or Jenkins were injured, and our current fitness staff must have won a radio comp to coach at an AFL club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind the positives that Fischer brings and I'm certainly not writing him off. Who cares if he is getting out wrestled by 24 year olds, that tells us nothing about how good he is going to be in 5 years time. Playing key back in a team where -12 in the i50s is considered a good performance, what an introduction to AFL.

But it is painful watching him try to get up off the ground after a mark/spoil attempt. Meanwhile everyone else involved in the contest is back on their feet and on with the contest. One of the least athletic kids I can recall.

Will need to be a godlike positional and body control player like Rutten, Davis and Talia to make this pick a success.

Is it the speed or not quite reading the play then? Just feel like the guys he's against get quite a lot of space on him. Cameron seemed to be a few steps ahead of him multiple times, it wasn't exactly the strength that beat him, he just wasn't able to be at the contest as such.

The strength that comes may help with this though as perhaps it gives him time to body his opponent more before they can get the free run.
He’s flat footed ala Ken MCGreggor

You will be hoping for Fisher to get a yard of pace like you were with Ken for your whole lives. Which is fine, but not with a pick six. That's the point.

I think the difficulty is that people still think that pick 6 has an objective value across drafts. It doesnt. It's worth is relative to the players available. Unfortunately we've gotten early picks last year and this year in two of the weakest drafts in recent memory.

Let's give the kid 20 games before we judge him. Bit hard coming into a team playing like we are.
The annoying thing is that we barely ever get kids in early and if we do we sneak them in on a HFF, well out of the thick of the action.

And now when we finally do give a kid some games we choose to do it with a key position tall, and play him in key defensive/attacking posts - the type of player who would be least ready to make an immediate impact.

It will be Year 3 before McHenry has even glimpsed the midfield for instance.

Imo if we decide to keep playing him and especially down back, we have to plan to allow him to be an intercept player/3rd man in rather than playing as a pure 1 on 1 kpd. He excelled at reading the play and coming off his man in the juniors so facilitate that while he's too physically immature to take on the big bodies.

This thread is a laugh.

Rebuild 101. You draft the talls first. McAsey is a lock for as long as we can make him stay at the club. Anyone expecting a 19 year old to tear it up after his first preseason is delusional. To paraphrase Phil Walsh, we need to get 50 games into him ASAP. I think he'll be the best KPD the club has ever had.

This thread is a laugh.

Rebuild 101. You draft the talls first. McAsey is a lock for as long as we can make him stay at the club. Anyone expecting a 19 year old to tear it up after his first preseason is delusional. To paraphrase Phil Walsh, we need to get 50 games into him ASAP. I think he'll be the best KPD the club has ever had.
Top comment. We need to get 50 games into all our kids .

That mark he took a few weeks ago playing forward where he was running back with the flight of the ball was Nick Riewoldt/Jono Brown like. Hes a dead set forward to me.

That mark he took a few weeks ago playing forward where he was running back with the flight of the ball was Nick Riewoldt/Jono Brown like. Hes a dead set forward to me.
But then last game against Melbourne he was reading the ball really well in the first half and took 2 or 3 intercept marks.

This thread is a laugh.

That is a hell of a claim, we've had some very good KPDs over the years.

Back