AFL Autopsy RND 12: Loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I attribute a lot of this to over handballing.

How would you lead to a 5 handball clearance?

I know you're probably being tongue in cheek but I can't help myself!

It's mainly when we are trying to slowly progress by foot up the ground.

The lack of leading by our forwards is a different issue and probably partly caused by what you say but also because we have so many inexperienced forwards and our best two, Daniher and Stringer, like to play from behind anyway. It's why Fantasia was so bloody important in 2017 - he knew when to lead AND could get separation. Hooker to an extent too, because his presence demanded the footy.

I know you're probably being tongue in cheek but I can't help myself!

It's mainly when we are trying to slowly progress by foot up the ground.

The lack of leading by our forwards is a different issue and probably partly caused by what you say but also because we have so many inexperienced forwards and our best two, Daniher and Stringer, like to play from behind anyway. It's why Fantasia was so bloody important in 2017 - he knew when to lead AND could get separation. Hooker to an extent too, because his presence demanded the footy.

No I'm not.

When do you start leading? During Parish's 2nd or 3rd handball in the chain?

If you had to name the two "weapons" Essendon have as a pod in the league at the start of the year you might have said: (1) a solid stable of young, capable defenders who can intercept mark and zone off well, and (2) potent run and carry off the HB line with Saad, McKenna etc.

From what I've seen now of the Rutten game plan, he's basically decided those two weapons are useless. Neither feature in the new strategy, which goes something like this:
  1. Our defense plays one-on-one, meaning more balls are brought to ground for the opposition crumbing forwards, and less scope for the zone-off intercept mark to help set-up the turnover/rebound play.
  2. When we do have the ball in d50, we chip it sideways, and backwards, slowly building up with 15m passes until we eventually get the ball forward of centre (unless we turn it over first).
  3. Once we're sure we've given enough time for the opposition defenders to run back and set up the zone, we will then inexplicably stop the short kick game and bomb it long and high into f50.
  4. Given our lack of KPFs, this will either result in Walla trying to take an overhead grab and getting mauled by a key defender or three, or pencil-neck mcgee tripping over his own feet, shoving out some bloke in the contest and giving away the free kick.
  5. Having exhausted ourselves with the thirty or so individual leads required for the kick-pass moves done at 2. above, we look lethargic and disinterested in chasing as the opposition move the ball quickly and freely out of d50 into a scoring position where they likely goal.
It's the Truck Rutten "5 Steps to Success" strategy and honestly unless you're used to played 5D chess it might not make a lot of sense but you just need to trust in the learnings. It'll all come together soon enough.

We are a garbage football side with no direction.

I’m trying to be angry about it but my emotional connection with this side just isn’t there right now, and hasn’t been for some time

7 players with less than 20 games experience were out there today - I can't say I expected any different.

To me, that speaks of an even bigger problem. 7 guys with less than 20 games should bring heat at the very least... fight, scratch, scrag, pressure...just do whatever you can to make a contest, or make the opposition know that they are in a war. We were insipid & should have lost by 60+.

Cue’s officially in the rack. Hopefully don’t win another game & finish bottom 4 for best draft positioning.

Send Stringer, Hepp, Lav home & only play Joe & Fanta if it has beneficial trade implications.

Will struggle to tune in again this year after today. Margin was 6 goals but felt like 16. We are bloody painful to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to hear Daisy Pearce comment at quarter time that after 8 handballs in the 1st quarter McGrath was actually -17 meters.

Sounds a lot like nTg (net overall rating), doesn’t it.....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah this is a good shout. On the rare occasions you do see an upfield shot on the TV coverage these days you don't see a whole lotta activity.
Even with kick ins we tend to mostly go to the back pocket which just closes us in even more. So frustrating
Seeing it live it was amazing/shocking how often McKernan and Stewart were standing 10m from each other, stationary with one arm in the air.

Interesting to hear Daisy Pearce comment at quarter time that after 8 handballs in the 1st quarter McGrath was actually -17 meters.

Sounds a lot like nTg (net overall rating), doesn’t it.....

Or just -17 meters gained

Or just -17 meters gained
There aren’t enough crayons or playdough in the world to help you understand the complexity of advanced statistics.

You’ve already shown a proclivity towards your understanding of the game.

You’re better served using your “this guy blows” or “that guys a rock star” approach Vs opening your horizons or starting the learn the intricacies of football analysis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back