AFL Autopsy Loss to The West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually thought that was a really positive step after last week. Probably lost it in the 10mins of footy they played in the second quarter and then just stupid mistakes like the Saad and Ridley errors.
Controlled the entire second half, it lived in our forward half. Exactly what we want.
We defended the ball movement and rebound so well for most of the night. For a team that is worst in the comp at it, another positive.
Would have been really good to get another win to reward the effort and give them more reinforcement of the way we are playing.
Won't get that good of a shot against the eagles, they were very beatable, they did just enough.

Probably the first Eagles game against us where McGovern hasn't totally controlled the game. Hooker big tick there.

Draper is so raw but he did some great things, his aggression will be important going forward. He held his own strength wise with NicNat. Will be better for the contest.

Smith was ok he's the one that's helping us speed from the contest with the clearing handballs but a few too many missed into the corridor that put us under huge pressure.

Langford another super game. Has now got his composure to a level that he doesn't look slow out there, he makes his own time. Good mark and good disposal. Had a really good year.

Joe. Well that's just what you get from Joe, the kicking will be an issue always. Didn't hit them tonight and it was probably the difference.

Walla great to see him get some goals, still goes to ground too much and looks to have lost a yard but his skills so important in a team with not many skilled players.

Shiel. Got a lot of it and did some good things but some really really REALLY bad disposals. Like you don't see that at AFL level, handpassing to opposition players repeatedly. He really cannot handball. Needs to work on it.

Parish I thought was good and his kicking was a bit better, should get a good taste of the middle with Andy out, will be good for us going forward.

Ridley. Cemented himself as out best player this year, seems to lift late in games and seems to be trying to be more attacking last three weeks. Absolute gun, should hopefully make AA 40 as some recognition.

No sour grapes but another good last quarter where the game lifts and then an umpire gets whistle happy. No surprise it's Razor.
The hooker call, the non 50m against Merrett and deciding to pay holding against Stewart when they both wrapped up. I don't think they cost us the game as we were too far back but just robs the game of some drama.
The Merrett dangerous tackle I'd love to see again, really shocked when that was called.
The Saad play on was frustrating, it was probably there but the cynic in me feels like if it had of been the other way we cough up 50m. That was a killer.

It was our own innacuracy and mistakes that cost us that win, think we lost it as much as they won it.
Really liked our intensity though, some good tackles lot of wrestling and pushing, just a bit of swagger around was nice to see.

Great review.

I think there’s a lot of positives to take out of tonight and parts of recent weeks. I think we are starting to work to the game plan more instinctively. Gives me some optimism for 2021.

Consider the result the last time we played the Eagles...absolutely torn a new one.

I hope we continue to show the same effort in the remaining games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weirdly, I think this was a loss that we needed to have.

It's been a while since we lost despite an honourable effort across four quarters.

Last week's comeback blew their heads up a bit. But this week's loss I feel will instil more confidence in the style of play - because it's known we could have got that, and comfortably too. Hopefully it's used as inspiration from here on out.

We may very well look back on this loss as an ultimate turning point for the team.

Agree with that. Tacko Fall would be handy, but its probs a bit rough throwing him in the deep end.
He'll be a 10-15 minute player if he makes it. Theis is a really good back up, as is Kanter

Time to take what we can get for Daniher. All the talent in the world, but had he been able to kick straight, we might of actually won tonight. I've lost count of how many times that has happened over the years.

Time to take what we can get for Daniher. All the talent in the world, but had he been able to kick straight, we might of actually won tonight. I've lost count of how many times that has happened over the years.
The only way you can get rid of Joe is by bringing Jezza in. If we lose Joe anyone over 26 at the club should also be moved on

Doubt the Mav's would part with Luka. See if we can shake Simmons from the 76ers? Obviously need to throw some picks in

Doubt the Mav's would part with Luka. See if we can shake Simmons from the 76ers? Obviously need to throw some picks in
Simmons is an Essendon man at heart so would be a great get, however I’m not sure Philly would be keen on replacing one player who can’t shoot with another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please

Razor Ray killed us tonight. He must have been about 8 - 0 to West Coast, and at least 4 of them 50 - 50's which either cost us a goal or denied us a scoring opportunity, not to mention a few obvious ones he missed.

Joey's misses killed momentum. This is not a new thing. He could be a great damaging ruckman that rests forward. Not now but we should look at him playing more time in the ruck next year. He could be taking those contested marks around the ground that we lack.

A full 100 minute game instead of the mickey mouse bullshit short quarters and I am confident they would have cracked in both the 3rd and last quarters resulting in a comfortable win.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda but we didn't, much like this season.

Can't complain about the effort, one Joey miss, and the rebound goal proved costly.
Thought not selecting Phillips was a strange move, Draper played a great lone hand.

At least West Coast didn't rip us a new one like last time. Was looking like they could at one stage. Though with Kennedy probably would have.

Our set up was better, hemmed them in at times. Contested marking up the line a huge problem for us. If Daniher stays, Stewart could possibly fill that role.

Overall, still too many skill errors. Missing crucial goals is a huge momentum killer. McGrath injury hurt us badly too.

Clearly too many players underdone or out of form. Time to manage a few this week. Look to 2021 now.

We were too handball happy again at times, firing them out to players 1-2m away who were flatfooted and/or under pressure; and our instinct when pressured is to just get rid of the ball, often directly to the opposition.

F knows how top-flight footballers can have such poor disposal skills.

Game was more confirmation that when we are 'on' we can match it with pretty much any team, and even pull out a win when everything goes right, but we can't do it consistently to be a true challenger.

Was nice to see Heppell back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back