Opinion If you could, would you reward the side who finishes top of the ladder as the grand final host?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Or would you rotate the grand final among the states, where Victoria gets it every second year, WA and SA every six years, and NSW and QLD every 12 years. My only objection to rotating would be that it'd be a shame if a grand final between Fremantle and West Coast fell at the SCG, Adelaide vs. Port GF at the Gabba etc., instead of the teams home state.

You could argue the same for two Victorian sides at the MCG, but at the latest, you'd have to determine the GF venue before the first round of finals.

Or would you rotate the grand final among the states, where Victoria gets it every second year, WA and SA every six years, and NSW and QLD every 12 years. My only objection to rotating would be that it'd be a shame if a grand final between Fremantle and West Coast fell at the SCG, Adelaide vs. Port GF at the Gabba etc., instead of the teams home state.

You could argue the same for two Victorian sides at the MCG, but at the latest, you'd have to determine the GF venue before the first round of finals.
There is no top ranking side after prelim finals are completed. Going into finals yes but not coming out of prelim finals as top ranking side after home and away has an easier path tbrough to the gf then there opponents. There are just two gf sides equally ranked and its the gf that decides who is ranked number 1.

To those saying no, why not? Isn't it unfair for Victoria to host the grand final every year, pandemics that troll Victoria aside?
Not the way tickets are allocated. Mcg is the biggest venue and should get all gfs in non covid years. Unless a bigger stadium is built elsewhere.

Personally, I think a rotation between MCG, Adelaide, Perth is the most appropriate. Football states should be hosting the GF, and is more of a reflection of a national comp than a nominal presence in QLD & NSW.

Brisbane and Sydney would have to earn it by being "football states". It might be ok for Brisbane to host it this year due to a peculiar circumstance, but that's it.

Personally, I think a rotation between MCG, Adelaide, Perth is the most appropriate. Football states should be hosting the GF, and is more of a reflection of a national comp than a nominal presence in QLD & NSW.

Brisbane and Sydney would have to earn it by being "football states". It might be ok for Brisbane to host it this year due to a peculiar circumstance, but that's it.

That's fair enough. So, Victoria every second year, WA and SA every 4 years until NSW and/or QLD does better with TV ratings, memberships, and crowd attendances.

i like the idea of a "home" for the GF and it being the G. But then i live in Melbourne, so i'm incredibly biased towards the atmosphere in the city and the stadium

the part of me that believes in a fair fixture would say yes, award it to the highest ranked finalist

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moving the grand final from place to place makes the grand final of an individual season no fairer. The best way to do that is make the grand final venue as neutral as possible. Given all clubs usually play at least a handful of games at the mcg each season it is in the box seat to be the one that can be the most neutral.

Moving the grand final from place to place makes the grand final of an individual season no fairer. The best way to do that is make the grand final venue as neutral as possible. Given all clubs usually play at least a handful of games at the mcg each season it is in the box seat to be the one that can be the most neutral.
Wouldn't that be GMHBA then? After all, only one team plays there more than once per year and it's improbable Geelong will play grand finals often enough for it to be relevant.

Wouldn't that be GMHBA then? After all, only one team plays there more than once per year and it's improbable Geelong will play grand finals often enough for it to be relevant.

And it is a footy region that produces tons of footballers, deserves a GF.

Looking forward to seeing someone answer whether under this proposal Geelong get a home GF or not.....

And it is a footy region that produces tons of footballers, deserves a GF.

Looking forward to seeing someone answer whether under this proposal Geelong get a home GF or not.....
I'd be happy for them to receive it. It's a bugbear of mine that Geelong supporters typically still disagree with non-Vic grand finals despite suffering similar inequalities though

Yes, it just seems common sense for a non-profit organisation.
However tradition shouldn't be ignored, so it's a hard one.

But an equal H&A season fixture is the most important subject IMO.
Each club plays each other once or twice equally in one season is a must.
Finally through trying circumstances, it's actually happening this year, to a degree.
But it's a positive.

I'd be happy for them to receive it. It's a bugbear of mine that Geelong supporters typically still disagree with non-Vic grand finals despite suffering similar inequalities though

Some of my fellow supporters do, some of them do just for fun to irritate interstate supporters, I would suspect most of them think there is not much point talking about since the contract is to 2037, whether that is fair not not.

The grand final being at the MCG every year is certainly a disadvantage. It was smart of WA to make Optus stadium dimensions the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back