Strategy 2020 Hypothetical Trades – Left Field Trade Ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt that WB will downgrade their 1st for points prior to the draft. If list sizes are cut, they will struggle to find the space on their list to take a heap of 2nd and 3rd picks to the draft. Would be better to plan a live trade with a team like North or Essendon - who could easily cut a dozen players each.
I agree we would wait for draft night if downgrading for points but we can easily cut our list.

I agree we would wait for draft night if downgrading for points but we can easily cut our list.
It depends on how much lists are cut. If it's 40 including rookies you will need to cut 8 players just to take three picks to the draft. I'm not familiar with a few on your list, but it doesn't look like you would want to cut many more than that.

Fair enough
i reckon we have a surplus of outside runners while you look slow on the outside
brayshaw?
i reckon viney untouchable

They haven't looked slow over the last 3 weeks, especially Brayshaw. Melbourne are just learning how to play rotate their mids effectively, can't see them trading one out

No way Adelaide do that. They will have 3 NGA/FS picks as well to add on, so don't need the additional picks.
It depends.

Let's assume the Crows also have 2, and can trade 12 and 16 for, say, 5. Five picks before the NGA bids isn't impossible (depending on 2021 list numbers).

That's not how things work at all haha
That's happened multiple times - I can't only speak for the Crows, but they trade with GWS and don't bid on Green, they trade with Swans and don't bid on Blakely. It's a pretty common gentlemen's agreement.

It depends on how much lists are cut. If it's 40 including rookies you will need to cut 8 players just to take three picks to the draft. I'm not familiar with a few on your list, but it doesn't look like you would want to cut many more than that.
I think we'll manage it pretty easily tbh. There's a few guys who have been on the list a long time and can be moved on, plus some retirements.

Dickson, Suckling retire
Lynch, Porter, Gowers, Khamis, Greene, Jong, Smith and Hayes could all be delisted (probably keep Jong, Porter and Greene)
There's interest in McLean and Schache from opposition clubs.

We can make the 8 player cuts if needed, just means a few guys who would have been depth or development players end up a bit unlucky

I think we'll manage it pretty easily tbh. There's a few guys who have been on the list a long time and can be moved on, plus some retirements.

Dickson, Suckling retire
Lynch, Porter, Gowers, Khamis, Greene, Jong, Smith and Hayes could all be delisted (probably keep Jong, Porter and Greene)

We can make the 8 player cuts if needed, just means a few guys who would have been depth or development players end up a bit unlucky
I think 8 is okay. More might be difficult and limit your ability to take a bunch of picks to the draft to match the JUH bid.
The list cuts may not be so severe anyway. I think the players association are strenuously resisting them, which is probanly why nothing has been announced yet.

How do points deficits work?

Fremantle for instance, lets say finish with pick 6 and their deficit of 264 points. Does that mean pick 6 drops to pick 9 automatically or can they trade pick 6 and the deficit comes from whatever their 1st pick is?

I feel like if the latter then a number of teams would happily trade into pick 6 to help cover the points deficit. Anyway, my left field trade is:

Geelong: Jack Henry + pick 39 for
Melbourne: Brayden Pruess + pick 23

Melbourne get a 21 y.o best 22 player who already has 60 games experience. Geelong get a decent ruckmen and an upgraded 2nd round pick.

Fremantle for instance, lets say finish with pick 6 and their deficit of 264 points. Does that mean pick 6 drops to pick 9 automatically or can they trade pick 6 and the deficit comes from whatever their 1st pick is?

I feel like if the latter then a number of teams would happily trade into pick 6 to help cover the points deficit. Anyway, my left field trade is:

Melbourne get a 21 y.o best 22 player who already has 60 games experience. Geelong get a decent ruckmen and an upgraded 2nd round pick.
Comes out before trade period opens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon you get a better offer than that and a complaint is made to the AFL if you take unders and a wink for a non bid at no.1
Happens every year.

Lol yeah nah.

Fresh left field idea -

Gold Coast 2020 (Pick 4-8) and/or 2021 (Future pick) to be downgraded to 2 first late first round picks (10-20) or close to like the Saints did last year with GWS. Saints traded 6 & 59 for 12 & 18. (Saints got Hill & Howard)

With 12 & 18 hypothetically we would try and get two guns from clubs who need that draft pick. Apparently we have interest from players after this years Hub on the Coast. I don't know the players specifically but my wish list would be these gettable players who clubs would love an another first round pick Eg. Jack Gunston, Rory Laird, Darcy Moore, Jesse Hogan, Ben Brown.

Been linked heavily to Nathan Broad (OOC) and Rory Atkins (OOC)

If we had to draft around 4-8 i don't think it would fill our needs plus we have Davies/Jeffery to come thru

Fresh left field idea -

Gold Coast 2020 (Pick 4-8) and/or 2021 (Future pick) to be downgraded to 2 first late first round picks (10-20) or close to like the Saints did last year with GWS. Saints traded 6 & 59 for 12 & 18. (Saints got Hill & Howard)

With 12 & 18 hypothetically we would try and get two guns from clubs who need that draft pick. Apparently we have interest from players after this years Hub on the Coast. I don't know the players specifically but my wish list would be these gettable players who clubs would love an another first round pick Eg. Jack Gunston, Rory Laird, Darcy Moore, Jesse Hogan, Ben Brown.

Been linked heavily to Nathan Broad (OOC) and Rory Atkins (OOC)

If we had to draft around 4-8 i don't think it would fill our needs plus we have Davies/Jeffery to come thru
Laird would be amazing for the Suns if you could bring him in, and the trade you mentioned would give the perfect currency to trade for him.

That is draft tempering don't want to get involved in crows tippett like deals
It's not draft tampering to NOT pick someone. No one can force you to pick a player or say what is the right or wrong reason for doing it.

It happened with Sydney and the Crows and GWS and the Crows, and probably a bunch of other clubs - that's just the ones that my team was involved in.

And Tippett had nothing to do with the draft. There haven't been draft tampering punishments for 30 years.

Dickson, Suckling retire

McLean will stay, Schache would be decent trade bait.
We'll free up at least three list spots (JUH, Raak, McPherson) and possibly more to trade a small pressure forward in.

McLean will stay, Schache would be decent trade bait.
We'll free up at least three list spots (JUH, Raak, McPherson) and possibly more to trade a small pressure forward in.
Yeah McLean has played 3 or 4 really good games in his new role since i wrote that, could absolutely see him sticking around now if he can establish his spot.

It's not draft tampering to NOT pick someone. No one can force you to pick a player or say what is the right or wrong reason for doing it.

It happened with Sydney and the Crows and GWS and the Crows, and probably a bunch of other clubs - that's just the ones that my team was involved in.

And Tippett had nothing to do with the draft. There haven't been draft tampering punishments for 30 years.
It’s draft tampering if you tell another club what you will or won’t do ahead of the draft and make that intent a stipulation of any trade you would be willing to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back