2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how saying that Young should be on the HBF because that's where we need his ball use, aggressive instinct. and intercept marking translates to not wanting Tucker to play HFF if that's where his skills best apply and he can't be a B22 player in his original position.
Those skills can be valuable all over the ground. No point limiting them to one position, especially when as a club we have just highlighted a) the depth we have in that position, and b) the need we have in other parts of the ground. Just ask Beveridge and Naughton.

The idea that players with translatable skills should be limited to the position they played when drafted is what is being discussed. Tucker can play in other roles because the skillset is there.

Those skills can be valuable all over the ground. No point limiting them to one position, especially when as a club we have just highlighted a) the depth we have in that position, and b) the need we have in other parts of the ground. Just ask Beveridge and Naughton.

The idea that players with translatable skills should be limited to the position they played when drafted is what is being discussed. Tucker can play in other roles because the skillset is there.

We have depth on HBF. I just happen to think that Young is better than that depth, and I wouldn't be moving Young out of his best position so we can keep Duman or someone else there.

We have need of someone like Young in defense. He'd fix a issue in the team that we keep the ball in our defensive half and struggle to move it forward.

We have depth on HBF. I just happen to think that Young is better than that depth, and I wouldn't be moving Young out of his best position so we can keep Duman or someone else there.

We have need of someone like Young in defense. He'd fix a issue in the team that we keep the ball in our defensive half and struggle to move it forward.
I think the someone elses would be Cox or Hughes, neither of which are likely to get an opportunity in another position. Do I think Young will be better than them in that role: one day yes, possibly quite soon. But as an effective use of our resources I think there are better decisions. We have problems delivering the ball forward of centre.

Do we think Young and Henry are walk up starters next year? Plenty of guys in their spots who've played well this year.
Young yes, if nothing else he was getting games over some of those guys when he was fit. Henry probably not B22 at the start of the season, but become B22 during the season

Young yes, if nothing else he was getting games over some of those guys when he was fit. Henry probably not B22 at the start of the season, but become B22 during the season
Yeah I agree although I don't think any of our small forwards have been anywhere near good enough to guarantee their spot in the B22 next year (except Walters). I'd say it's there for the taking for whomever shows the most over the pre-season - including new draftees.

henry is still raw talents. I think shultz has him in pressure acts and goal kicking ability and same with walters. Henry has to go up a few levels if he is to be a regular 22 in 2021 and take the small forward role or go in the middle he is up against cerra,brayshaw,serong etc

Henry produced nothing to command a best 22 position, and in reality, Young, just enough. As with any high draft pick being selected is about fast tracking a prodigious talent.

henry is still raw talents. I think shultz has him in pressure acts and goal kicking ability and same with walters. Henry has to go up a few levels if he is to be a regular 22 in 2021 and take the small forward role or go in the middle he is up against cerra,brayshaw,serong etc
Not sure if you have seen Henry last year?

The kid is class.

No preseason with no proper match practices coming off a knee injury resulted him not having touch.

Give him a preseason with some practice games and he is ready to go.

I'm fairly certain our forward line won't include all of Crowden, Schultz, Colyer and Frederick come round 1 next season. Sturt, Switta, Henry and I'm assuming Western will all be in the mix as well. And perhaps our pick #10 depending on who we get. Walters is the only lock imo.

We are clearly carrying too many small forwards on our list. Of those above Henry and Sturt are the only ones with contracts past the end of next year. And not coincidentally they are also the two with the highest ceilings. If we benchmark our small forwards this year against ones from the top teams they are miles behind. We need to see big improvement and we'll almost certainly be cutting some forwards come this time next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I agree although I don't think any of our small forwards have been anywhere near good enough to guarantee their spot in the B22 next year (except Walters). I'd say it's there for the taking for whomever shows the most over the pre-season - including new draftees.
yeah for sure, if Henry has a full pre-season and someone like Schultz has a setback or two, can very easily see him being B22 come round 1. think it’s more likely than not he spends a bit of time at Peel first though to become a bit more used to senior footy

Henry produced nothing to command a best 22 position, and in reality, Young, just enough. As with any high draft pick being selected is about fast tracking a prodigious talent.
Young produced more than enough in the brief few games he had to be easily B22 for mine. Contested intercept marks and ground ball gets, plus one or two memorable I50’s with huge forward metres gained.

B. Ryan Pearce Logue
HB. Hill Cox. Wilson
C. Aish. Fyfe. Young
HF. Sturt Hogan Walters
F. Schultz Tabs Henry
R. Darcy Brayshaw Cerra
I. Tucker Serong Mundy Lobb

I’ve deliberately left Hamling out at this stage but there are no doubt others that I’ve forgotten.

I’d hope that by seasons end one of Fredrick, Giro or Western would be pressuring for Schultz’s spot.

Last edited:
B. Ryan Pearce Logue
HB. Hill Cox. Wilson
C. Aish. Fyfe. Young
HF. Sturt Hogan Walters
F. Schultz Tabs Henry
R. Darcy Brayshaw Cerra
I. Tucker Serong Mundy Lobb

I’ve deliberately left Hamling out at this stage but there are no doubt others that I’ve forgotten.
I don't see Schultz and Henry in the same team, especially with Sturt playing small and tall.
If Hamling is available I see Cox or Logue forward.
Both Cox, Logue are dual positional, Shultz isn't.
Would be a tall forward line but would work with a divide and conquer game plan and classy half backs.

I don't see Schultz and Henry in the same team, especially with Sturt playing small and tall.
If Hamling is available I see Cox or Logue forward.
Both Cox, Logue are dual positional, Shultz isn't.
Would be a tall forward line but would work with a divide and conquer game plan and classy half backs.

Agree re Hamling, Cox, Logue.
Sturt I see as a medium forward not small so don’t see any issue with having 2 small forwards or even 3 plus him.

Just to put my two cents on the Tucker to half forward, I think he is absolutely shocking at it, it's the one part of the field he cannot find the ball in. Every game this year when he was rotated out of the centre line up he disappears till he comes back in. His skill set definitely does suit the half forward role i agree, but he just does not know how to get involved in the play when he is there.

I also think that Tucker is the inside/outside centre square player with a great kick and turn off speed that we need in there, Serong in and under, Tucker on the receive outlet and Brayshaw defensive side. Think that would be one of our stronger set ups in our midfield rotations going into the future.

Just to put my two cents on the Tucker to half forward, I think he is absolutely shocking at it, it's the one part of the field he cannot find the ball in. Every game this year when he was rotated out of the centre line up he disappears till he comes back in. His skill set definitely does suit the half forward role i agree, but he just does not know how to get involved in the play when he is there.

I also think that Tucker is the inside/outside centre square player with a great kick and turn off speed that we need in there, Serong in and under, Tucker on the receive outlet and Brayshaw defensive side. Think that would be one of our stronger set ups in our midfield rotations going into the future.

Agree. When people moan about him going in and out of games it's because he has been moved to the HFF. He would probably average 8-10 touches in that role.

B. Ryan Pearce Logue
HB. Hughes Cox. Wilson
C. Aish. Fyfe. Frederick
HF. Sturt Hogan Walters
F. Schultz Tabs Henry
R. Darcy Brayshaw Cerra
I. Young Serong Mundy Lobb

This makes more semse to me...and Lobb has about 3 weeks to prove he's better than last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back