Game Day AFL Semi-Final - Matchday Discussion Collingwood@Geelong(Gabba – 7:40PM EDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

well at least you have 3 mates who agreed with you. The 4 of you can start your own club next year
Nah, F*cking putrid game and showing by the boys tonight. I wouldn’t be applauding for the game tonight but for the year they’ve spent on the road so we could watch them compete. Year after year we watch them fall short and that sucks even more (most unsuccessful club in the league vs flags we should have won).

But seriously, more to life than footy and flags (as much a I want another one). Perspective; 2020 sucks dogs balls for us all in one way or another. Let’s not bow out by eating our own by booing the boys along with everyone else that hates us because they’re not Collingwood.

Rubbish - you support your team no matter what happens win lose or draw.

No matter what feelings we might all have about the game tonight it's a ******* disgrace that anyone would call that support out as if it's a bad thing.

What a ridiculous comment! So there are no circumstances where you wouldn't give your team a standing ovation as they left the ground? That is moronic. I didn't advocate spitting on them or booing, just don't give them a reception normally reserved for a gutsy win. It makes an utter mockery of the player's performance if they get the same response regardless of how they perform. Stevenson seemed determined to stay as clear of the physical contact as was possible, yet you would give him a standing ovation?

Don't talk to me about support mate. I've been going to watch them week in and week out since I was seven years old. That's support. I buy my season ticket every year. That's support. I have stood in the hail, rain and wind for five decades and watched us lose grand final after grand final in heartbreaking fashion for over five decades. I've attended hundreds of those games on crutches. Save your advice for someone who hasn't done that, mate.

I suppose you would be furious with any parent who admonished their kid for driving drunk or shoplifting. I mean, you support your kids no matter what! Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Rubbish - you support your team no matter what happens win lose or draw.

No matter what feelings we might all have about the game tonight it's a ******* disgrace that anyone would call that support out as if it's a bad thing.

You dont give a standing ovation though...clap them off give encouragement but standing o is usually for excellence.

What a ridiculous comment! So there are no circumstances where you wouldn't give your team a standing ovation as they left the ground? That is moronic. I didn't advocate spitting on them or booing, just don't give them a reception normally reserved for a gutsy win. It makes an utter mockery of the player's performance if they get the same response regardless of how they perform. Stevenson seemed determined to stay as clear of the physical contact as was possible, yet you would give him a standing ovation?

I suppose you would be furious with any parent who admonished their kid for driving drunk or shoplifting. I mean, you support your kids no matter what! Give me a break. :rolleyes:

100%

Using this game as barometer for Moore is not a smart thing to do... When Pies got smashed 68 points and would have been 100 had Geelong not taken their foot off the pedal late in the game.

You have to look at his performance and consistency throughout the season and years prior... And ALL AFL teams would want him no questions about it.
He and Jordy might be good trade currency but who would play well in such a disaster? Moore's biggest issue is he's not that smart in the way he chooses to handball etc. Not much going on upstairs at times. Jordy struggled.

Nah, F*cking putrid game and showing by the boys tonight. I wouldn’t be applauding for the game tonight but for the year they’ve spent on the road so we could watch them compete. Year after year we watch them fall short and that sucks even more (most unsuccessful club in the league vs flags we should have won).

But seriously, more to life than footy and flags (as much a I want another one). Perspective; 2020 sucks dogs balls for us all in one way or another. Let’s not bow out by eating our own by booing the boys along with everyone else that hates us because they’re not Collingwood.

I dont believe he said they shpuld boo them. Rather they didnt deserve a standing ovation.

Watching the Collingwood fans give the team a standing ovation as they walked off is one of the reasons we continue to fail when it matters. What a joke.

Mate, they are thanking the players for their efforts this season. Believe it or not, this season would be tough mentally for these players, considering they have been living out of a suitcase for 3 months.
I thought it was a great effort by all the finals teams to get there, and for us to win one final was icing on the cake.
If l was there l would be standing and cheering them off as well. Things need to be put into context, when looking back over this bizarre season.

Last edited:
Not sure where some fans have been, but ok...
Stevo - Having a pick 6 & rising star player become a seconds player by year 3... for whatever reason - soft, questionable character, loss of love for the club or coach, is a debacle.

Debacle implies somebody made a bad decision? I’m not going to argue ... Yeah, we’re all disappointed ... fair enough.

Coaching style - plenty of people have called this out, AND suggested alternatives. No confidence / confusion regarding playing on tonight... all players up the ground well covered, sh*te entry to forward line, lost at clearances with grundy looking a first game ruck. Multiple talls vying for same mark, spoiling each other, and 3 cats players there to clean up. There are shades of all of these things in every game, and is always a risk to be exposed by a quality side, or when we are slightly off. And hey presto...

Sure, plenty of people suggest stuff. Very very few give any consideration to 2nd or 3rd order consequences but.

Selection - C Brown and Varcoe often selected during year, Mayne and Thomas also bolt-ons, when one of our best clearance players - Sier, is much needed, but on the permanent outer.

What are you suggesting is the problem with Sier? Buckley hates him? Selection committee has forgotten he’s on the list?

Selection committee have access to **far** more decision making inputs than we do ... we can reasonably assume selection committee do want to win knockout finals. If a player isn’t selected there would be a reason for it that made sense at the time.

Development - Rendell was right - most players have gone backwards. WHE, Grundy, Stevo,

agree with those three.

Elliott, Phillips,

Harsh. They’ve maybe plateaued.

Gone backwards from what?

He’s been out injured for long periods.

3 knee reco’s will do that.

Irish kids have been in the system 3 years for zero...

Not quite zero (Keane has played a game) but your point is taken. Irish lads are always a lottery ticket.

and Bianco was touted as ‘ready made’, but can’t crack a game. and don’t buy this first year player thing. Didn’t affect Stevo at the time, or Rowell, or Serong, or Walsh, or Rozee, or Ruscoe, or Sidey, or Beams, or...

You’re right, first year players do sometimes play. But it’s not expected, and not unusual if they don’t.

We’ve played 40 of our list this year (that’s gotta be close to some record, surely?). Plus there are players of the talent of Langdon and Beams who didn’t play a game.

We’re clearly throwing around the magnets (Kelly, Atu, Keane, Ruscoe all got games)

Sidey - don’t want to be too harsh here, but... first his bender cost us, which is crazy for a supposed captain in waiting,

Fair enough

... and now the absenteeism.

Nah, no issue with that IMO

I’ve just had my first baby too,

Congratulations!

...and I’m working more hours in the day than he’d have to. And he can afford a round the clock nanny.

You didn’t have maternity / paternity leave?

I agree lots of things are more important than your job, but his only lasts for 2 more years, and he’ll have all summer to spend with his baby

In any normal season, sure, he should be able to duck out from changing nappies to kick a pigskin around a paddock for a few hours. But this isn’t a normal season ... 14 days quarantine with partner and newborn baby ... not so straightforward.

Mate, they are thanking the players for their efforts this season. Believe it or not, this season wouldn't be tough mentally for these players, considering they have been living out of a suitcase for 3 months.
I thought it was a great effort by all the finals teams to get there, and for us to win one final was icing on the cake.
If l was there l would be standing and cheering them off as well. Things need to be put into context, when looking back over this bizarre season.
Seriously, it would have been hard being away from home but they weren't in the Russian gulags! For much of the time they had their families with them, they were living in resorts and enjoying far more freedom than we are given back here in Victoria. I'll bet all of them would rather have been in the hubs than living back here in lockdown. So let's not go overboard with how tough they have had it these past few months.

The gap between a good game and a poor game from our best players is just massive. Take out Adams and Pendles, but when JDG, Stevo, Moore, Treloar, WHE, Elliot, Grundy, Mayne have bad games they don’t give us much at all. How can we have a salary cap issue ??Then our bottom 6 and lack of depth kills us. Cox, Mags, Noble, Maynard, Cameron, IQ, Checkers and Crisp prob don’t get a game in top 4 teams. Howe and Sidey to come back but jeez we are miles away with this list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The gap between a good game and a poor game from our best players is just massive. Take out Adams and Pendles, but when JDG, Stevo, Moore, Treloar, WHE, Elliot, Grundy, Mayne have bad games they don’t give us much at all. How can we have a salary cap issue ??Then our bottom 6 and lack of depth kills us. Cox, Mags, Noble, Maynard, Cameron, IQ, Checkers and Crisp prob don’t get a game in top 4 teams. Howe and Sidey to come back but jeez we are miles away with this list.
Adams was just as awful tonight as some of the others you mentioned. Putrid disposal again. No impact. His opponents killed him.

Don't talk to me about support mate. I've been going to watch them week in and week out since I was seven years old. That's support. I buy my season ticket every year. That's support. I have stood in the hail, rain and wind for five decades and watched us lose grand final after grand final in heartbreaking fashion for over five decades. I've attended hundreds of those games on crutches. Save your advice for someone who hasn't done that, mate.

Total overreaction.

You always support your players when the final siren sounds on their season no matter what.

If some supporters feel that this includes applauding them for their efforts over the season then neither you nor I have any entitlement to lambast them for it, regardless of our decades of support for the club.

Be angry. Be disappointed. Be an advocate for change. But we never, ever eat our own.

p.s. Your last paragraph was totally out of line, but I'll write that off as your emotions getting the better of you.

I've been watching us lose finals in a variety of ways for 55 years now. Witnessed 11 grand final defeats. two draws, most of them in games where we had a good lead or were still a chance late in the last quarter. But we continue to fall short. We invariably fail when it matters. As I posted earlier, the powerhouse clubs win a flag and then follow up with a period of dominance and multiple flags. Hawthorn, Carlton, Richmond, Geelong , West Coast all managed to do this. Then we have Adelaide who were nowhere near the best side in the two years they won flags, yet they grabbed their opportunity. The Dogs did the same. Mediocre to poor for years, make it into a grannie during a hot run and they bloody well win it.

We hover around the eight and play finals on a regular basis but never seem to get the job done. Two flags in over sixty years and countless prelim and GF appearances is pathetic. I am sick of those whose first step is to attack anyone who is fed up or shattered with this endless failure and wants to express their angst.

I have every right to be angry and deflated after yet another dismal performance and final's exit.
A million likes for this post, let’s look at it in that 60 odd year span re flags: StKilda 1, Dogs 1, Collingwood 2. Hmm

Total overreaction.

You always support your players when the final siren sounds on their season no matter what.

If some supporters feel that this includes applauding them for their efforts over the season then neither you nor I have any entitlement to lambast them for it, regardless of our decades of support for the club.

Totally agree. Patricularly in a year where they've had to sacrifice and give so much in order to keep the show on the road.

But what a bloody train-wreck that game was.

You dont give a standing ovation though...clap them off give encouragement but standing o is usually for excellence.

Not even for a season where we've had to face pretty much every challenge that could be thrown at us and still managed to get to the second week of finals in spite of it all?

After last week our collective hopes were raised that we might be able to come up with something more and we're all disappointed with the game tonight, but if supporters at the game want applaud them for their efforts this year then I'm fine with that.

Total overreaction.

Be angry. Be disappointed. Be an advocate for change. But we never, ever eat our own.

p.s. Your last paragraph was totally out of line, but I'll write that off as your emotions getting the better of you.
You are the one who overreacted! You'd think I just suggested the supporters throw rocks at the players as they left the ground. Standing ovations are reserved for special performances be it on stage or the sporting field. That's it. That's all I said.

Seriously, it would have been hard being away from home but they weren't in the Russian gulags! For much of the time they had their families with them, they were living in resorts and enjoying far more freedom than we are given back here in Victoria. I'll bet all of them would rather have been in the hubs than living back here in lockdown. So let's not go overboard with how tough they have had it these past few months.

Yes, but being in each others face, day in day out, would be a testing time. Not all players had family or partners there, and even if they did, it is still tough being away from your home and a somewhat normal routine...

Last edited:
Totally agree. Patricularly in a year where they've had to sacrifice and give so much in order to keep the show on the road.

But what a bloody train-wreck that game was.
Can I ask you a simple question? Do you seriously believe the players, if given a choice, would have preferred to stay here in Victoria in lockdown for three months without being able to see friends or family, swim at the beach or local pool or play a round of golf? I do understand there would have been moments of strain but to suggest they have made some enormous sacrifice just to entertain us is a bit of a stretch. We've all been locked up for months with no end in sight.

Can I ask you a simple question? Do you seriously believe the players, if given a choice, would have preferred to stay here in Victoria in lockdown for three months without being able to see friends or family, swim at the beach or local pool or play a round of golf? I do understand there would have been moments of strain but to suggest they have made some enormous sacrifice just to entertain us is a bit of a stretch. We've all been locked up for months with no end in sight.

People are just looking for excuses mate. Players even bought the damn Nannys with them...oh the horror.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back