Autopsy SF: Geelong 100-32 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

So you think that they didn’t try?

Why would that happen? They suddenly after last week hate Bucks? Backed Geelong? Don’t care anymore?

It was miserable, but not one single player actually played well or won their position. That’s a pretty rare thing to suddenly affect a team collectively.

They were spent. Accept it and move on.

Mate, if you don’t think they didn’t drop their heads and stop putting in a requisite level of effort, you must have been watching a different game.

I don’t mind losing, but I refuse to accept that kind response.

As bad as the 2009 PF?
That was much worse than the 2009 PF, as at least we went with them for a bit in 09.

We bounced back from a 70 point finals embarrassment then, a couple of smart acquisitions and anything can happen.

Have to try and take a look at the positives from the season

Daicos, now a clear best 22 player
Maynard and Moore, elevated themselves to AA quality defenders
IQ and Noble, both showed plenty as small running players

But then there was plenty of frustration with some of our more recognised and ‘best’ players not delivering much all season.

There will be changes in the off-season, and we go again

something terribly wrong with the preparation for this game, whether emotionally or physically/training.
7 days was plenty of time to recover, but different sort of prep would be needed in the circumstances of hub and not sure if it was another quarantine this week for going back to queensland.
Whatever they tried it was obviously a dismal failure, players looked way out of sorts.

Or is this just a mediocre team that plays above itself usually, only to be found out in the finals? Ie like Geelong! Brisbane won't let them look that good next week. I can't rule Geelong out completely tbh, mainly because they probably outplayed Port the week before (except for goal kicking of course) who I rate as the best team.
But even if we are a just a pretty good team of triers who usually make the finals, that does not explain today's effort so I still put it down to prep gone wrong.

Here, here Buckley - cats too good, us nothing left. Discovered that within the first couple of minutes. GPS numbers down.

Last edited:
No positives at all from that final

2009 PF, Geelong flogged us by 73....

The Geelong side of 2009 was full of superstars. Ablett, Bartel, Chappy, Stevie J, Scarlett, Enright, Ling, Kelly, Corey, Mackie, Lonergan, Ottens, a youthful Selwood, Hawkins and Harry Taylor, the list goes on. The 2020 Geelong side couldn't hold a candle to that side.

So you think that they didn’t try?

Why would that happen? They suddenly after last week hate Bucks? Backed Geelong? Don’t care anymore?

It was miserable, but not one single player actually played well or won their position. That’s a pretty rare thing to suddenly affect a team collectively.

They were spent. Accept it and move on.
If you mean mentally spent then yes we were. If you think this is somehow ok (AFTER 1 FINAL WIN), then you are seriously mistaken. Mental resilience is crucial to a team being a flag contender. We just showed we are lacking there!

If you mean physically spent then why? as opposed to the opposition how?... so do we need a whole new fitness department again?

They just did not show up tonight. Very flat.

I suspect a bit of work is going to go in to rejigging that forward line over the off season, and maybe a big bodied midfielder.

No, nothing will change, we're Collingwood remember. Make bizarre trading and drafting decisions that backfire on us and we're seeing it now.

Same coaches, same list deficiencies, same everything but expecting a different result. Mark my words the club and coach will tell us fans and members to keep the faith - and we'll be disappointed - again.

Meanwhile other clubs will make their necessary changes and win cups.

It's called being demoralized.

How are they so tired? They had a weeks break before the eagles game then a 7 day break to this game and were god awful from the 1st bounce.

Are you saying they ran out of energy 2 minutes into the ******* game?
I wouldn’t think a bloke like you that’s never played decent footy would understand. It’s not like your wrist getting sore from the controllers or not having enough coffee to keep you up for your late night joust with Poyndexter.

It only takes your energy level, mental and physical, to be down 5% to be thrashed like that.

Disposals: 200 - 356
Scoring shots: 7 - 25
Clearances: 21 - 34 (we won taps 37 - 19)

That’s as big a flogging in key stats as you could ever see.

It is extraordinary how we win the ruck taps and lose the clearances EVERY week. It’s almost unfathomable. Seriously, how is it possible? A new midfield coach is an urgent priority.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
would have been even worse if cats weren't saving themselves for next week in the 2nd half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t think a bloke like you that’s never played decent footy would understand. It’s not like your wrist getting sore from the controllers or not having enough coffee to keep you up for your late night joust with Poyndexter.

It only takes your energy level, mental and physical, to be down 5% to be thrashed like that.

Did you just call someone a Poyndexter?

Can't judge Pies on tonights performance
You were cooked. 4 months on the road will do that.
Recruit a key forward and 1 more ready to go mid, it all changes.
Will Pendles and Sidebottom play to current standard, for another season?- that is the biggest challenge

Pretty numb after tonight hard to feel anything was just a horrid performance and smashed all over the park. Serious questions need to be asked about some players changes need to be made. Starting with coaches Harvey needs to go and Sanderson they have added nothing as well as Rocca. Player wise after this whole year a lot should either be put up for trade or delisted. People to leave delist Mayne, Greenwood, Roughead need to go just don't cut it Greenwood had one good week and Mayne just adds absolutely nothing always backwards. Obviously after tonight everyone could be up for trade. But on a serious note Hoskin Elliot, Stephenson, Sier, Phillips should really be shipped off have all gone backwards. Darcy Moore has looked lacklustre without Howe as well as Maynard so Howe back in will be huge for our defense he was a huge loss which has been underestimated. Darcy Cameron is just not good enough and shouldn't have been in the side was never a good match up for Geelong. Lastly I know this is long but De Goey I understand he is an absolute star but he has the potential he goes quiet in for too many games he has the potential to be anything but that doesn't justify a million a year so I would be very weary of that also.

No, nothing will change, we're Collingwood remember. Make bizarre trading and drafting decisions that backfire on us and we're seeing it now.

Same coaches, same list deficiencies, same everything but expecting a different result. Mark my words the club and coach will tell us fans and members to keep the faith - and we'll be disappointed - again.

Meanwhile other clubs will make their necessary changes and win cups.

WE both know what the elephant in the room is mate.

Collingwood's game plan is very slick, in fact too slick to rely on consistently.

It needs to switch up but I can't see that happening under the present regime. Some traditional elements would help.

The Geelong side of 2009 was full of superstars. Ablett, Bartel, Chappy, Stevie J, Scarlett, Enright, Ling, Kelly, Corey, Mackie, Lonergan, Ottens, a youthful Selwood, Hawkins and Harry Taylor, the list goes on. The 2020 Geelong side couldn't hold a candle to that side.
The opposition isn’t important, Dons in 84 were a decent team too!!

What is important is how Collingwood react...last time our season ended in a 10 goal drubbing in a final was 2009.

We went out and recruited to fill a couple of glaring weaknesses in the off-season, and then went bang in 2010.

The ball is in our court

That was really embarrassing. Super deflated after a game that I thought we were a decent chance to win. Full credit to the Cats, absolutely mauled us. We didn't put up a fight at all.

Credit to the boys for making it to week two. We played some horrendous football during the year and the fact that we got up last week was a minor miracle. But there needs to be some serious introspection going into this off-season. 2018 is long gone now and we have regressed from a consistent and tough football side to average at best. Decisions need to be made on a number of players and staff, because if we stand still we are going backwards.
Yes, this. Collingwood is not about average - that needs to be remembered i think by those in charge. Football is a tough business though, and sentimentality and the interests of some much loved people shouldn't play a role in all the decisions going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back