Autopsy SF: Geelong 100-32 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing result obviously.

It was just one of those really s**t games where we came out flat and couldn't get our hands on the ball while literally everything they did turned to gold with every half chance taken and every rushed disposal in a contest finding a team mate.

We didn't lay down in the second half although the sting had already gone out of the game long before, but there's not much we can take out of the game tonight.

There's some dead wood in Thomas, Mayne, our s**t defensive dink and dunk quarterback game plan, etc that needs to be cut out and we need to be braver both in terms improving our list and playing a more attacking brand of football.

Our defence deserves a massive pat in the back for keeping us in so many games across the season as we struggled to put up any sort of decent score but we need to do more to take the pressure off them by hitting the scoreboard which sits squarely with those who come up with our game plan.

Last edited:
What do you mean no energy?

Its not like they just played reserves and have to now play seniors.

They last played 6 friggin days ago.

It’s on them for lack of effort, mental fortitude and professionalism.
So you think that they didn’t try?

Why would that happen? They suddenly after last week hate Bucks? Backed Geelong? Don’t care anymore?

It was miserable, but not one single player actually played well or won their position. That’s a pretty rare thing to suddenly affect a team collectively.

They were spent. Accept it and move on.

This is one of those defeats that sucks the life out of a club. Essendon beating us by 133 points in the 84 prelim. 3 years in the wilderness. Brisbane in the 2003 GF. 2 years in the wilderness. And tonight. Some lean years ahead I'm afraid.
i thought that after 2009

To put it simply. We just aren’t good enough.

I’m open to trading anyone atm and trying to balance this list going forward because we are NOT winning a flag with this current list of players and coaches. We can’t just tread water. Don’t need a clean out but we need to plug some holes

Pls give us Ben Brown on the cheap. xx

They seem a little too one dimensional on the speed front mate. It's time to rejig a few things.

There's still the core of a good side there. Chin up. :thumbsu:

We played a fantastic brand of football last week. Maybe we were gassed but our inability to repeat the game exposed so many of our deficiencies.

All year we’ve struggled to score against the best and ever mediocre mid table sides. It breaks down from the midfield but our game plan also doesn’t seem to stand up against possession football teams, with the exception once again of last week
With all due respect to you, no excuse. That was putrid, no excuse.

Shame we finished the year like this. I could tell we weren't ON 5 minutes into the game; we looked shot.

We played our GF last week, the cats were rightful favorites.

Despite showing some signs the side has been unable to find consistency this year. Losing games without putting up a fight is a worry.

I know people hate it when you make excuses,and I understand that,but physical and mental fatigue was clearly a factor tonight.The players couldn’t run,tackle,shepherd,or even man the mark tonight.We only had about 200 possessions,which must be a record low for us.That’s the sign of a very tired team.It was exactly how we played Melbourne earlier in the year when we were playing our fourth game in 14 days.If you look at our game with Geelong in round seven and compare it to tonight’s performance,it was like chalk and cheese.We literally didn’t look like the same team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all due respect to you, no excuse. That was putrid, no excuse.
I’m not making excuses, I 100% agree. They’re professional footballers and they have seven days between games with shortened quarters. The they were gassed was more an observation as to our complete lack of pressure and run.

Why would that happen? They suddenly after last week hate Bucks? Backed Geelong? Don’t care anymore?

It was miserable, but not one single player actually played well or won their position. That’s a pretty rare thing to suddenly affect a team collectively.

It's called being demoralized.

How are they so tired? They had a weeks break before the eagles game then a 7 day break to this game and were god awful from the 1st bounce.

Are you saying they ran out of energy 2 minutes into the ******* game?

I know people hate it when you make excuses,and I understand that,but physical and menalt fatigue was clearly a factor tonight.The players couldn’t run,tackle,shepherd,or even man the mark tonight.We only had about 200 possessions,which must be a record low for us.That’s the sign of a very tired team.It was exactly how we played Melbourne earlier in the year when we were playing our fourth game in 14 days.If you look at our game with Geelong in round seven and compare it to tonight’s performance,it was like chalk and cheese.We literally didn’t look like the same team

Agreed. Disappointing to go out like that but I wouldn't be judging the club by it's 2020 performance, bastard of a season and one we should be happy to see the back of.

Over so quickly it's hard to do much more than shrug. 2020 will do that to you, I guess.

But I truly hope the club doesn't do the same: just say it was a one-off bad game and not make some really important, hard decisions.

Looking forwards, apart from any other area, we so seldom do well at centre bounces, as we have discussed many times already. This has been an obvious problem for way too long.

On the plus side, Grundy and Elliott look to have something of an understanding but we need to take a long hard look at this - personnel and coaching.

Sier could still develop into one big-bodied, first possession mid, but we probably need at least one more who can kick it well with depth and run hard both ways too. Is it De Goey?

I think this is the biggest area to sort out as it will have a positive flow on effect to other areas that appear to be weaknesses too.

Last edited:

I think its easy to vent and yell and scream and accuse blokes of not trying or being soft. Nobody who plays league footy is soft. Some are harder than others of course. And of course they try. They were rubbish tonight but im sure its not through lack of effort.

Smashed in the contests, but how much of the apparent lack of energy was just that we structurally picked apart by Scott. How much energy are you going to show when they are just controlling the footy and hitting really easy spot ups all game. Our sagging off zone was just destroyed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back